Ammunition for Cape Buffalo

ofbiro

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
RSA Namibia
Question for a friend, planning to hunt buffalo in South Africa with a .375 H&H.
Which factory ammo, and in particular which Norma ammo (they are commenon in our place)?
Many thanks in advance.

Norma loaded with 300 grain Swift A-frame bullets..

I asked this same question recently and the overwhelming response was some sort of soft, either Swift A frames(federal, norma, etc) or a Barnes TSX

7.62 short hard ball, 30 round mag, the poachers choice ;)

Why just Norma? Just curious.

For buffalo i use cartridge from RWS with bullet Uni Classic 300 gr ( 19,5 g ) and from Hornady with bullet DGX 400 gr ( 26 g ).
Witold

Ofbiro , from my experience over the past 24 years I have but one piece of advise for you : Whatever you do Sir , do not use RWS Ammunition. Very shiny , and impressive looking ammo.. . I have seen more animals wounded due to bullet failure on RWS than any other brand.

Used Hornady DGX for my buff.

When it comes to buffalo, one thing I am curious is why do many people recommended a soft bullet for the initial shot and then solids after that? So if that's the case, what combos would people recommend? In addition to the Norma PH Woodleighs that @Swedhunter recommended.

Ofbiro , from my experience over the past 24 years I have but one piece of advise for you : Whatever you do Sir , do not use RWS Ammunition. Very shiny , and impressive looking ammo.. . I have seen more animals wounded due to bullet failure on RWS than any other brand.
I use a lot of years RWS it is very popular in Belgium and never had any problems.
Also fellow hunters never had problems.
I had problems with Norma Oryx an Remington Core lockt.

300gr Swift A Frame.. Hornady or other.
I always load 2 x A frame softs on top followed by 3 x 300gr solids. The 2 x softs for the initial first shot damage and then the second for a quick follow up shot if possible... if the beast then turns on you, you have 3 x solids to put him down frontal head shot/ neck/ spine.. if charging!! I have never YET had to resort to the third shot option....but am always prepared!

In my 375HH Blaser R8 I use initially 2 Federal 300gr A-frames, followed by 2 RWS solids in 300gr, which goes in the same hole at 100meters.
Softs first into a herd, then solids for follow up and safety due to good penetration.
Norma Oryx could be too soft for buffs, as many have discovered the hard and expensive way on lesser game (moose ++).

I use a lot of years RWS it is very popular in Belgium and never had any problems.
Also fellow hunters never had problems.
I had problems with Norma Oryx an Remington Core lockt.

SANGLIER , interestingly enough most of the hunters that used the RWS were Belgian and French. I have used them myself hunting in Belgium , France and Scotland , with mixed results. They worked great on Roe deer. I had them fail in Africa on everything from Impala , cats ( wounded many a lion with them ) and up to Buffalo. Too many times to remember. Enough to never recommend them again. They almost put me in hospital , or worse , many a time. They do make the prettiest ammo out there though :)

When it comes to buffalo, one thing I am curious is why do many people recommended a soft bullet for the initial shot and then solids after that? So if that's the case, what combos would people recommend? In addition to the Norma PH Woodleighs that @Swedhunter recommended.

if you are hunting in a herd its to stop other animals being wounded with a solid whistling through your target animal . if hunting single bulls then solids are ok from the beginning, but the premium softs now are tough enough and do plenty of damage so the first shot or two are better using them . solids for the follow up for max penetration from any angle

For Cap Buffalo I use cartridges from RWS with bullet Uni Classic, from Norma with bullet ORYX and from Hornady with bullet
DGX.
With this amunition I never had a problem on hunting in Poland and in Africa.
Witold

I just finished a free range Buffalo hunt with a French hunter and his friends . He is a PH in Burkina Faso and Cameroon. We started talking bullets around the camp fire , as these conversations normally do. He told me some horror stories of RWS ammo not performing on his African hunts. Said he would prefer Hornady anyday over RWS. He also said that they seem to work fine in France. Interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross