Ammo Source Frustrations

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
I would think that with all the current interest in the classic African big bore rifles and cartridges there would be more sources for ammunition. In fact, it is getting increasingly difficult to find just brass. On a related note, I have been looking at a couple of Sharps rifles - same deal there. I should add that I load for many of these cartridges, but brass always seems to be the big issue - dies and bullets, no.

The reason could be Tik Tok. Have to maintain those videos of cats and dogs.

I would think that with all the current interest in the classic African big bore rifles and cartridges there would be more sources for ammunition. In fact, it is getting increasingly difficult to find just brass. On a related note, I have been looking at a couple of Sharps rifles - same deal there. I should add that I load for many of these cartridges, but brass always seems to be the big issue - dies and bullets, no.
Raven rocks precision says that they have some DG brass and some Sharps brass in stock. The last time I checked that included 45-90 and 470NE along with other hard to find cases.

Raven rocks precision says that they have some DG brass and some Sharps brass in stock. The last time I checked that included 45-90 and 470NE along with other hard to find cases.

AH sponsor and the owner is a genuinely nice guy… @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION is who I’d call for DG brass…

@Mark Biggerstaff has also done me solid anytime I’ve called and asked if he could find me something as well… I searched high and low for some 358 Win brass recently and couldn’t find any in stock… mark had 100 pieces on my doorstep 10 days later

Last edited:
AH sponsor and the owner is a genuinely nice guy… @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION is who I’d call for DG brass…

@Mark Biggerstaff has also done me solid anytime I’ve called and asked if he could find me something as well… I searched high and low for some 358 Win brass recently and couldn’t find any in stock… mark had 100 pieces on my doorstep 10 days later

Thanks for the mention Dave!

We also have a good supply of powders but no primers. Only issue is I can't ship powder. We do not have hazmat shipping lic. I can ship everything but powder and primers. Makes no sense. If you are in the area stop in.

Thanks for the tags. We don’t have the 45-90 in stock right now but we do have 470 NE as well as many other dangerous game calibers, some long range shooting/hunting calibers, med-large game hunting calibers, as well as some vintage/obsolete calibers.

We will be adding some Swift A-Frame bullets and some other new brass later this evening.

Thanks for all the responses. I hasten to add that my comments were more in the nature of a general observation rather than requests for specific sources, most of which out there I am quite familiar. I might also add that at times it makes more sense to find ammo and/or brass and then go looking for the rifle.

Thanks for all the responses. I hasten to add that my comments were more in the nature of a general observation rather than requests for specific sources, most of which out there I am quite familiar. I might also add that at times it makes more sense to find ammo and/or brass and then go looking for the rifle.
I have reached the point where unless I know that reloading components and dies are available I won't buy a rifle in a new to me chambering no matter how good the deal is.

I have reached the point where unless I know that reloading components and dies are available I won't buy a rifle in a new to me chambering no matter how good the deal is.
Brass can be the toughest to find. CH4 has or will make any die set, including wildcats, and bullets usually are not a big issue, either.

Several factors, but a few unknowns can have a big difference in availability.

Take .404J brass for example, there will always be a drain on supply for this brass because so many wildcats exist based on the case and benchrest shooters will buy .404 brass just to size it to their pet cartridges.

Consider that a benchrest shooter’s annual purchase of brass would probably supply a Safari hunter for 2-3 lifetimes.

As for primers; it’s a business and their sales priority will always be directly linked to contract size which makes their priority list

1. Government/Military contracts
2. Commercial ammunition manufacturers
3. Civilian retail market

Consider the amount of ordnance that has been sent to Ukraine in the last year alone… Strategic stockpiles were emptied that may take years to replenish.

No primer manufacturer is going to stop the cash cow of producing NATO spec primers by the billons to appease the consumer retail market.

Because it’s rumored that several NATO countries; if they had to enter the conflict they would have 1 weeks worth of ammo on hand….. Can you imagine the backlog of 5.56 primers alone?

Several factors, but a few unknowns can have a big difference in availability.

Take .404J brass for example, there will always be a drain on supply for this brass because so many wildcats exist based on the case and benchrest shooters will buy .404 brass just to size it to their pet cartridges.

Consider that a benchrest shooter’s annual purchase of brass would probably supply a Safari hunter for 2-3 lifetimes.

As for primers; it’s a business and their sales priority will always be directly linked to contract size which makes their priority list

1. Government/Military contracts
2. Commercial ammunition manufacturers
3. Civilian retail market

Consider the amount of ordnance that has been sent to Ukraine in the last year alone… Strategic stockpiles were emptied that may take years to replenish.

No primer manufacturer is going to stop the cash cow of producing NATO spec primers by the billons to appease the consumer retail market.

Because it’s rumored that several NATO countries; if they had to enter the conflict they would have 1 weeks worth of ammo on hand….. Can you imagine the backlog of 5.56 primers alone?
You raise good points but its interesting that here in the US this only happens during democrat administrations. I don't believe that its just coincidence.

You would think some makers, such as the two primary custom Sharps factories in Big Timber, Montana, would make a greater effort to have ammo and brass available.

Whenever I see a rifle I’m interested in I search ammoseek and then components. If I have no luck then I pass. Rare I can deal with but not non existent. I have changed bullet makes and powders even with more common calibers due to scarcity with some brands and types.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,