Ammo in locked rifle case?

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I'm heading back to Namibia via South Africa again. I've always kept ammo in a separate locked ammo box. Wondering about just putting it in with the rifle in the locked rifle case.

The former. If I put it in its own locked box, I'll just put it in my luggage- not room in the rifle case for a separate box

There is no issue inside the USA. TSA won't care.

It may become an issue in some countries and certainly depends on each of the airlines policies.
For instance; leaving RSA on SAA, it won't be allowed.

Just made that trip this week. When checking in with Delta they questioned me was the ammo in a locked box, in the original package and packed in luggage separate from my rifle case. When departing RSA to Namibia they required the locked box of ammo be taken out of the luggage and fly as a separate item. Hope this helps.

I have done it in the US with my tuffpak. I don’t think they will allow it on international flights. And I don’t think I would risk being the guy that gets lots of “extra security” in Joberg.....

The best thing for you to do is to go to the airlines web site and look at their baggage FAQ's.

At the very least I would place it in a locked box inside of my checked luggage and not in the rifle case. That way if you have to remove it you can with zero problems.

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg