Ammo box

Speedster

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 19, 2018
Messages
244
Reaction score
490
Media
14
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Any recommendations for a box to carry ammo to SA? Planning on 4 boxes of 30.06. Also locks? TSA? Masterlock?
 
I took others advise on here for my first trip. Used Pelican 1200 with TSA locks. Held 4 boxes 375 HH and some spare rings and cleaning stuff.
 
Any plastic box that accepts a lock works. Some have used kids lunch boxes, I used a MTM ammo box and a friend just used a plastic ammo can from Cabela's.

On my trip over I just put some TSA locks on the ammo box just in case they wanted to look inside, but the TSA locks are just for US airports. Just make sure that there is a handle on the box if you are flying inside of SA and need to place the ammo box with the rifle case. For the rifle case use padlocks where only you have the combo or key.
 
Wall Mart has little metal boxes with keys that holds 4 boxes easily..About 12 bucks..I used then on African trip...
 
I use a pistol case with a hole for a lock. Holds about 4 0r 5 boxes depending on caliber. Write your info on it because you will have to check it separately from your luggage when you get to SA. TSA locks are not advisable according to most airlines. You can put your ammo in your checked baggage in the US. Do use a good padlock. I like combo locks. No keys to lose.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cls
These work perfectly you can get 4 boxes of 30-06 in there I tried it I'm take 3 boxes next week
Screenshot_20181106-220217_Amazon Shopping.jpg
 
These work perfectly you can get 4 boxes of 30-06 in there I tried it I'm take 3 boxes next weekView attachment 256398

There is a problem with that type of box. If you are flying inside of South Africa where the ammo box must go with the rifle case there is no place to attach the airline luggage tag. I know that is the same box that I used. I ended up opening it up and looping the luggage tag through the lid. It worked but if the box had a handle it would be a lot easier.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,041
Members
169,482
Latest member
OlaCounts
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top