Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
The wheelgun is shooting great...
I'm shooting it pretty well, although still looking forward to some more range time. Feeling really comfortable on the sticks and shooting as much as I can offhand. Dry fire practice nightly is paying dividends.

I managed to ruin this perfectly good group on the last shot (n) Shoulda taken a moment...
First 5 of the morning off bag at 25 yards

IMG_0256.JPG

Virginian Dragoon Silhouette Pistol .44 Mag
IMG_0258.JPG

Belonged to my dad back in our IHMSA days (Handgun Metallic Silhouettes). I inherited it when he passed. A little piece of him is going along with me to Africa this year :)

I'll be hunting some specific critters with the rifle, but hoping for Warthog, Impala & Zebra with the handgun. Maybe a few others if opportunity knocks.

My goal is to hold shots to 75 yards or less. 50 or closer would be just about perfect!
I've never really warmed up to a scope on a handgun. Dunno why, maybe because I really enjoy shooting open sights. Anyway, she'll wear an Ultra Dot red dot through SAPS...

Hopefully I will have some photos and a story to share. I had never really thought about handgun hunting africa until I went for the first time 2 years ago. Now I can't wait!

5 weeks to go! :A Banana:

Nice shooting.

I think you are ready!

Thanks BRICKBURN :)

Please tell us about the ammo you are going to use as well. I imagine I may have to put glass on my .44 someday, but I agree with you and much prefer a topless handgun.

Hi @wipartimer , you bet.
I'm shooting the following handload:
Starline brass, although I have Remington and Federal brass that I use as well.
CCI 350 primer
23.2 gr WW 296 powder
240 gr Sierra JHC (Sports Master) - medium crimp in cannelure
1.580" O.A.L.
This load produces a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps and is the most accurate load I have been able to develop for this gun. I've run up to 24.0 gr of 296 which gives me 1400 fps, but it is not quite as accurate and is pretty heavily compressed with the Sierra bullet due to the cannelure being located pretty fat forward.
I have also used WLPM primers, but my velocity drops down to about 1280 fps and the Winchester primers seem super soft, so I use the CCI.
This is by no means a heavy load. I would call it moderate/middle of the road. Really a pleasure to shoot, especially with the long barrel amd Pachmeyer grip.

What are you shooting for a 44 and what load are you using?

Dan,
Undoubtedly your father will be with you on this hunt as I'm sure he is watching over you on all of them buddy. I've tried to get my dad to go with me but he said he spent plenty of time in North Africa in the service. I feel the same way about certain parts of the earth also so I understand.
You guys really have me thinking about taking a handgun over! i have a 375 JDJ that I bought just for that purpose, yet it sits in the safe every time I leave.
Thanks for the reload recipe, I've been wanting to try 296 as most of my magnum loads were developed with H110. Everyone says 296 is a hell of a lot cleaner powder.
Wish you the best of luck my friend!
Cheers,
Cody

:E No::E No: I know he would make me wear those damn pink earmuffs! No way I'm man enough to pull that off! Hell, just look @Royal27 , somebody socked him right in the face for wearing them, probably @billc . I think it was a hate crime :E Frightened:

Thank you @Bullthrower338 , much appreciated!
Very interesting about your father. My dad spent time in North Africa too, flying P-38's with the 96th squadron of the 82nd fighter group. He much preferred Foggia, Italy :D I believe the Italian ladies might have been a factor?
I'm not sure about H110 vs 296. I've never shot H110, but I know the 296 seems super clean.

:E No::E No: I know he would make me wear those damn pink earmuffs! No way I'm man enough to pull that off! Hell, just look @Royal27 , somebody socked him right in the face for wearing them, probably @billc . I think it was a hate crime :E Frightened:

I definitely feel like it was a hate crime by a short man who lashed out simply because I was taller, but I wasn't at @billc 's ranch.... It was someone else.... I'm too afraid of retaliation to say who.... :eek:

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

@gizmo

Wish you the best of luck Ida.

Bringing your father´s old wheelgun to hunt in Africa, well......just a fantastic idea (y)

Looking good, looks like your ready! Best of luck!

That is one nice looking pistol.

Nice group...I especially like the shot marked "oops". Reminds me of my shooting!

prefer a topless handgun.
I prefer many things topless...

Hi @2400 , the hunt was great! And thanks for asking.
Here’s a link to the hunt report.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...an-excellent-hunt-with-numzaan-safaris.39575/

I did manage to get a zebra with the wheel gun :)
7B190FC6-E312-44A3-AA8C-C90D988E410C.jpeg

And managed to get back to Zim since then for a Tuskless hunt!
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...research-tuskless-elephant-plains-game.45022/

The memories are going to have to tide me over until this current craziness passes, although I am booked for a Buff hunt in Mozambique, August 2021.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.