Alaska hunt...

Hello people! My question is what rifle and caliber do those who hunt in Alaska use or prefer to use? It's a doubt I have... Thank you
I find the 300 Weatherby more versatile than the 338 with 180 or 200 gr. Premium controlled bullets for sheep, Caribou, goat and a 220 gr. Semi Spitzer Nosler Partition or Woodleigh 220 gr. Round Nose for the big stuff Moose and Bear. Barnes X bullets work well.

I've some AK under my belt. From brown bear to caribou to moose to sheep. I'm not a long range sniper. I have used a 270 or 30-06 for everything up to the big bears. 375 HH for big bears. Use good bullets no matter the game or caliber. Hunt close, shoot straight, shoot once. That's the goal I aim for and my basic MO for all hunting.

Br bear front foot 3.jpg

Last edited:
I’m starting to think that I must be the only silly barstard to have hunted Alaska with non magnum cartridges and old fashioned bullets. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve killed sheep and caribou with my 7x57. A disagreement with a griz in the brooks range convinced m to carry something a bit heavier.

Any one hunt brown bear with a 9.3 X62? Is this not adequate, I ask as this is my calibre I have decided for my next rifle.

Perfect cartridge for anything that walks in Alaska.

I’ve killed sheep and caribou with my 7x57. A disagreement with a griz in the brooks range convinced m to carry something a bit heavier.
Well you lived to tell the story…so that 7x57 must have been adequate ;)

Well you lived to tell the story…so that 7x57 must have been adequate ;)

Nah, he decided I wasn’t worth the trouble.

Any one hunt brown bear with a 9.3 X62? Is this not adequate, I ask as this is my calibre I have decided for my next rifle.
Certainly adequate, just not a common round in the US. I'm sure someone has one here, but I've never seen one around and I can't say I've noticed the ammo on the shelves much, even in Anchorage.

Last edited:
I’m starting to think that I must be the only silly barstard to have hunted Alaska with non magnum cartridges and old fashioned bullets.
I bet I've heard of more caribou and moose dropped by a 30-06 with either Remington Core-Lokts or Nosler Partitions than any other combo around.

Certainly adequate, just not a common round in the US. I'm sure someone has one here, but I've never seen one around and I can't say I've noticed the ammo on the shelves much, even in Anchorage.
Before I took my 9.3x62 for my last Alaskan hunt…I checked out the availability of 9.3 ammo in Alaska, just in case my ammunition went missing in transit. Found ammunition available in both Anchorage and in Kenai.

I bet I've heard of more caribou and moose dropped by a 30-06 with either Remington Core-Lokts or Nosler Partitions than any other combo around.
Took my Dall ram and my BG caribou with a 30/06 with 180 grain Nosler partitions. Scope was a 1.5 to 6 power too.

Took my Dall ram and my BG caribou with a 30/06 with 180 grain Nosler partitions. Scope was a 1.5 to 6 power too.
Took my Dall sheep with a 150 grain Hornady Hornady Interbond, offhand at 100 yard +-. And multiple caribou with 30-06 and 7MM-08 in Barnes TTSX of various weights. Nothing went far.

Took my Dall sheep with a 150 grain Hornady Hornady Interbond, offhand at 100 yard +-. And multiple caribou with 30-06 and 7MM-08 in Barnes TTSX of various weights. Nothing went far.
Love those bonded and mono-metal expanding bullets.

I think the indigenous folks have killed more with 5.56 with Mini14s and 7.62x54R in Mosins using ball ammo.

I think that if I was worried about bears while fishing I would have a 12 ga loaded with slugs slung over my shoulder while fishing.

Very few people are efficient enough with a pistol to be able to place the bullets into the correct spot on a bear, and the last thing that one would want is a wounded bear close enough that you could use a pistol on.

It is as a guide I had up in British Colombia told me while I was on my grizzly hunt. He had a 44 magnum in a chest holster and I asked him what he planned on doing with it encase a bear charged. He calmly said that he planned on shoving the pistol into the bears mouth and pulling the trigger 6 times.

You'd find carrying that shotgun around all day while trying to fish would quickly start to suck. There is a reason you don't ever see one on a combat fishing line.

You'd find carrying that shotgun around all day while trying to fish would quickly start to suck. There is a reason you don't ever see one on a combat fishing line.

Well I’d never combat fish, but I agree with you. I tried carrying a 12 ga but I found myself laying it down a lot. It was just in the way.

The reality is that a .44 is unlikely to stop a determined charge. You will probably be sticking it in his ear while he’s chewing on you. Still better than pepper spray IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.