Alaska arms rings issue on ruger

ORFish

AH member
Reaction score
I just put the Alaska Arms 43/53 rings on my Swaro Z6i on my Ruger .375 Alaskan. Everything seemed fine, but I topped out the Swaro elevation and was still 1/2" low at 100yards. The scope was perfect on my 30-06, with lots of elevation left. Anyone else have this problem or a solution? The Ruger receiver scope base does not allow for any type of a 20 MOA adjustment that I can tell, but Ideally I would want to come up 25 MOA to get to the middle of my Swaro range. I appreciate any ideas!

Contact the owner of Alaska Arms. I don't remember his name at the moment but he is a great guy. He will probably have an idea.

Morris will take care of you.
But, here is something that I have ran into with one Ruger. The machined base was vastly out the norm. This applied to the depth of the recesses on the front base. Alaska Arms nor Warne bases would work. The factory Ruger rings would due to their design.

I realize yours is an elevation issue, but it may well be a rifle issue rather than ring issue. I know of one other Ruger rifle that the same issue as mine.
I have an MRC at the gunsmith now to modify Talley bases, because I ran out of windage with more than one scope and bases. This one is definitely a rifle receiver ssue.

I have several sets of the Alaska Arms rings on Rugers and a CZ.

Does your Z6 have a ballistic turret? If so, you will need to take it off and remove the stop ring. That’s what happened to me and my Ruger/ Z6 anyways.

Thank you, I will get his opinion.

Its not the stop ring. I went through all 80 clicks or so.

I agree it could be a receiver issue. The rings lined up fine with the alignment kit.

Did you put the taller ring on the rear and the shorter ring in front? If you got them backwards (you wouldn't be the first) that would make the POI low compared to the POA (I think).

BTW, I used a set of Alaska Arms rings on my 375 Ruger with a Leica 30mm scope and had no issues. Bore sighted and zeroed at the range rather quickly and easily.

I did talk the owner of Alaska Arms and exchanged photos. Everything is set up correctly, so it is either the scope or the receiver. I had this scope on a 30-06 and had tons of upward adjustment, so maybe the receiver? I'll throw a different scope on, shoot it,,and see if there is the same issue.

Have you tried another scope in those same rings? Have you took and counted the number of clicks between the elevation bottoming out and it topping out?

1- unscrew cap of ballistic turret using fob or coin
2- Remove the marking rings
3- pull the coupling up located on top ( the fob can be used)
4- you will now have 5 removable parts
5- zero scope by turning dial up or down as needed
6- after zeroing turn the lower section of the dial clockwise until it stops
7- position coupling so that the arrow points directly to the point on the locking ring.
8- turn coupling counterclockwise all the way to the end and it stops, now turn back to the end stop making sure arrow and point line back up. ( this will ensure you always return to zero
9- if using the ballistic turret rings for the ability to dial to a specific range. Set them now by turning coupling the necessary clicks. Position the ring so that the ring marking matches up with the point under the turret. Continue said process with remaking rings set at desired distance.
10- Turn entire turret in clockwise direction all the way to end stop
11- position cap so that orientation tab matches up with the point Under the turret. Screw the cap on.

29512E01-017C-40A5-BB2A-D38FFE47ACFB.jpeg

Coupling

I'll throw a different scope on, shoot it,,and see if there is the same issue.
Fish,

you don't need to even shoot it, simply bore sight it on something 100 yards away. if you don't have the adjustment to get the scope to match the bore, then shooting a bullet will change nothing, you just don't have the built in adjustment and wasted some ammo. good luck

I would about guarantee he has not removed that coupling to zero his rifle.
I have had to help buddy’s with the same issue.

I had removed the coupling, since that is the only way to reset the zero stop. I must say boresighting is trickier with a big ole .375 bore vs smaller ones. Harder to determine what the center is. Hoping to shoot a different scope tomorrow.

I boresight all my new scopes inside my house, typically 20 to 30 feet. I put the rifle on a gun vise or lead sled on the kitchen counter and point it down the hallway at a door. Note: Don't do this during meal time!

Remove the bolt and look through the barrel. I typically point the barrel at the edge of a closed door to utilize the true vertical line. I will go place an orange, one inch peel and stick target at the point the barrel is pointed at. If you can do this and also utilize a horizontal edge on the door, all the better. Make sure the rifle is sitting level and place the scope on the rings and adjust accordingly. Using this method, I rarely have to adjust more than a few inches at the range to be zeroed at 100 yards.

1618662759303.png

Hope this gets resolved. Very frustrating not being able to pinpoint cause of problems like this. Yes, bore sighting might help find likely culprit. It's easy to do and doesn't cost anything. :)

I would set the scope's windage and elevation adjustments to midpoint of their range. For example: Turn adjustment to stop, either direction. Count clicks to opposite stop. Set both at midpoint of adjustment. Set rifle in cardboard box with cutouts or in gun vise/cradle. Boresight on a large enough bull at some distance for best view and minimal parallax between scope and bore. Center bull as precisely as possible in bore view then check against reticle. You can check this result against another scope similarly mounted to help isolate root cause.

Sooooo, I took everything apart. Remounted the rings. Aligned and locked them in. Put scope on and leveled it. Torqued wrenched everything every step. Boresighted. Took first shot an 20 inches low. Clicked about 60, shot and 1 inch high. Set the zero stop. Ran the ballistic program and I needed 20 clicks. I have 46. Could not be happier. Must have been the loose nut behind trigger, as it is exactly where I would want it now. I appreciate everyone's advice, as it could have been bad rings, bad scope, bad receiver, but seems like it was a bad operator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg