AHR 404 Jeffery

Nope, I still have it and haven’t put it up for sale. If you’re interested in it though send me a message….

That’s a steel at that price. Obviously it’s a niche market but I can’t believe that it didn’t sell. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it.

You will take a little bit of a haircut on it. I would think 8k plus a little if you find the right guy. I can’t ever seem to find that guy. Does it have the “CZ 550” banner on the action? I have two of Wayne’s rifles without the banner and they look sooooo much more “custom” IMHO without it.
I’m thinking more $6 to $7k based on my experience. However there is always that person that “just has to have it.” GLWS!!!

Not trying to devalue the gents ahr conversion at all.......
Unless I misunderstood the OP it's not a 'conversion'. He didn't buy an off the shelf 550 and then have AHR do some upgrades. It started out as a NIB CZ550 action and was custom built from the ground up by, arguably, one of the best gunsmiths in the business.

I speak from experience. I've had Wayne do standard upgrade packages to OEM CZ550s and I've had him build me one from a new in the white receiver. Two entirely different propositions. The upgrades cost about $2K plus the basic rifle. The other was a full custom build very similar to the OP's rifle and it was significantly more expensive. Both of them turned out fantastic but to consider the upgraded OEM rifle the equal of the full custom build is absurd. A built from scratch fully custom CZ550 with a premium barrel, handmade stock and premium gunsmithing can easily be worth $6-8K especially when it will cost $5-6K to have it built in the first place. YMMV.

I speak from experience. I've had Wayne do standard upgrade packages to OEM CZ550s and I've had him build me one from a new in the white receiver. Two entirely different propositions. The upgrades cost about $2K plus the basic rifle. The other was a full custom build very similar to the OP's rifle and it was significantly more expensive. Both of them turned out fantastic but to consider the upgraded OEM rifle the equal of the full custom build is absurd. A built from scratch fully custom CZ550 with a premium barrel, handmade stock and premium gunsmithing can easily be worth $6-8K especially when it will cost $5-6K to have it built in the first place.
This, exactly.

My AHR .404 rifle was a 2012 build by Wayne that started with an in-the-white CZ 550 Magnum action, honed, trued, and blueprinted.

Every component on the rifle after that was a custom addition.

IMG_1008.jpeg

IMG_1024.jpeg

The only quibble I have with Bonk’s comment above is on relative pricing.

Assuming an original $6K or $7K custom 404 rifle built by a name ‘smith like Wayne, say, ten years ago, and assuming the rifle is still in excellent condition even if hunted, it’s probably closer to $10K today. …. Maybe especially if the seller could also furnish some amount of factory .404 ammo and reloading components (like bullets and brass) to sweeten the deal. In other words, a complete package.

This, exactly.

My AHR .404 rifle was a 2012 build by Wayne that started with an in-the-white CZ 550 Magnum action, honed, trued, and blueprinted.

Every component on the rifle after that was a custom addition.

View attachment 549059

View attachment 549060

The only quibble I have with Bonk’s comment above is on relative pricing.

Assuming an original $6K or $7K custom 404 rifle built by a name ‘smith like Wayne, say, ten years ago, and assuming the rifle is still in excellent condition even if hunted, it’s probably closer to $10K today. …. Maybe especially if the seller could also furnish some amount of factory .404 ammo and reloading components (like bullets and brass) to sweeten the deal. In other words, a complete package.
I’m doing the same right now. We began with a CZ 550 in the white and building a complete rifle. Wayne is working on the stock as I’m tying this. With some minor engraving my cost is just north of 8k all in. Mine will be competed in November of this year.

I’m doing the same right now. We began with a CZ 550 in the white and building a complete rifle. Wayne is working on the stock as I’m tying this. With some minor engraving my cost is just north of 8k all in. Mine will be competed in November of this year.
Here is the blank
IMG_6884.jpeg

I have a CZ action bought a while back from Wayne. He did the trigger and safety replacement but it’s otherwise stock. I sent it to Pac-Nor to have a barrel spun on/action trued. Another well known well regarded smith is going to straighten and fill the bolt handle and knob. He’ll do the the NECG sights, barrel band and send it to Turnblull to rust blue for about $1700. When it’s all said and done I’ll have upwards of $5,000 into it. A bargain at todays prices but not a true custom and something that I sourced together.

I have a CZ action bought a while back from Wayne. He did the trigger and safety replacement but it’s otherwise stock. I sent it to Pac-Nor to have a barrel spun on/action trued. Another well known well regarded smith is going to straighten and fill the bolt handle and knob. He’ll do the the NECG sights, barrel band and send it to Turnblull to rust blue for about $1700. When it’s all said and done I’ll have upwards of $5,000 into it. A bargain at todays prices but not a true custom and something that I sourced together.
What are you doing for a stock? I have an action on my desk, a .423 blank in the corner, and no idea what to do with them. :)

I’m shocked that a rifle that left the venerated Wayne’s shop had to be sent to another top notch gunsmith to feed correctly

I’m shocked that a rifle that left the venerated Wayne’s shop had to be sent to another top notch gunsmith to feed correctly
Good point. I noticed that too.

All I can say is my full-custom .404 from Wayne has never hiccuped or bobbled once while feeding rounds, whether it was factory ammo or my handloads.

Unless I misunderstood the OP it's not a 'conversion'. He didn't buy an off the shelf 550 and then have AHR do some upgrades. It started out as a NIB CZ550 action and was custom built from the ground up by, arguably, one of the best gunsmiths in the business.

I speak from experience. I've had Wayne do standard upgrade packages to OEM CZ550s and I've had him build me one from a new in the white receiver. Two entirely different propositions. The upgrades cost about $2K plus the basic rifle. The other was a full custom build very similar to the OP's rifle and it was significantly more expensive. Both of them turned out fantastic but to consider the upgraded OEM rifle the equal of the full custom build is absurd. A built from scratch fully custom CZ550 with a premium barrel, handmade stock and premium gunsmithing can easily be worth $6-8K especially when it will cost $5-6K to have it built in the first place. YMMV.

I got lucky, I had Wayne do his CZ #1 upgrade right after he took over from Ed Plummer it cost me $500 plus shipping. His work was fantastic. My 500 Jeffery has a McGowen barrel, original stock, I have about $3.5k all in including the Talley steel QR rings and Leupold 1.5-5x scope.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I got a .404 Jeffery custom from AHR on a CZ550 action. It’s a full custom, nice walnut, and a pop up aperture sight in the rear bridge. The feeding was tuned a bit for me by Ralf Martini so that it would feed well even with blunt large meplat bullets.

However, now I’ve picked up a Heym 88b double…. so realistically I don’t think I’ll be using the AHR even though it’s an absolutely awesome rifle.

There is a little wear in the finish of the scope bases under the rings, but otherwise it’s pretty much new. In the current market what would be a reasonable asking price if I sell it? I’ll attach some photos that Wayne at AHR took when it was being built.

I’m in Canada but can export easily to the USA or pretty much anywhere else if needed (private import and export is quite a simple process here).

I’m not sure yet about selling it, just trying to decide.View attachment 539163View attachment 539164View attachment 539165View attachment 539166View attachment 539167View attachment 539168View attachment 539169
Can you elaborate on the import export process?
I thought it was very expensive and a painfully slow process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChangCummi

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25