African Trophy Export real time follow along

USN

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well was pleasantly surprised when African Trophy Exports emailed and said my crate from African Wildlife Artistry had arrived when th them. Thought I would provide some info on this transaction.
ATE is a supporter here and I will be honest has some stellar reviews and some that are down right scary.
A little back story, first trip to Africa complete and of course this is first time shipping trophies. Please see my hunt report with Nick Bowker Hunting. This hunt was so good I am going again with Nick in May. He recommended African Wildlife Artistry and they use ATE.
AWA I feel was a little lax in communication, they picked up the animals and I had to reach out to them to confirm pick up. The only reason I knew was another hunter at camp said they had their animals. I reached out via email and confirmed the pick up and paid. I will update quality after I receive the mounts. Sable, kudu, water buck, zebra, hartebeest, Nyla.
The owner or manager of trophy shippers posted on here taking active role and aware of issues that would be rectified. That statement was good enough for me so giving them a shot and needless to say will impact my plans for May.
That said my quote for a volume of 107.14 and 26 k insurance came to 1707. To DFW.
I live OkC so this works for me. Friday was their email and I replied Sat with a couple questions so awaiting the answer. I plan to update this post as we progress. Hopefully helps other people here.

Cool, thanks for taking us along the ride. I've got a crate coming in a couple months so I'm interested.

Reactions: USN
I plan on updating as each step happens. Hope this will be of use for your crate!

I’m hoping to do the same next week. All my permits and paperwork, along with my crate have been collected from “Lifeform Taxidermy” I’m waiting for the same message.

Reactions: USN
I have three crates coming from three countries and I'll report on how it goes as well. It is all painfully slow that is for sure.

I have two crates coming. One from the Eastern Cape and the other from Namibia (with my leopard). I met with Alan from Trophy Shippers at DSC. I spoke to him about the issues that were posted on this forum. He assured me that steps had been taken to ”fix” the problems. So far I have had great contact with John from Trophy Shippers. Last week received word that my crate from the Eastern Cape is ready for transport to Chicago and was quote a price of about 2k for air. The shipment is for a pedestal mount Sable, life size red duiker, a skull mount impala, and the hides of sable and impala. Still waiting to hear from Yellow Shark on my leopard (dip and pack and skull mount) shipment from Namibia. I update this thread.

No response to my email as of yet. I waited till close of businesses Monday their time. I will send another email today with my questions. I am beginning to wonder if several companies have very similar names. I am dealing with African Trophy Exporters.

Guy, for those of you reporting about shipping your crate, might I ask please that you included a total price to get crate from taxidermist to port of entry as one total price and if you care to share total price from port of entry to your house I would greatly appreciate it. I hunted Namibia (first trip to Africa) in August and still undecided what to do because previous shipping post and a couple quoted have scared me away. The OP price of 1700 to dfw is not near as bad as I have read, so curious if that's everything besides taxidermy bill and stateside importer fees.

The above is shipping quote from africa to dfw. Dip and pack sable and kudu. Euro on plaque everything else from my hunt report. From memory water buck, Harte beast, Gemsbuck, nyala and zebra skin. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Anzelle at ATE responded to my emails within a day or less. I have used ATE twice over the past 2 years and no issues. They emailed me when my crate arrived in Chicago.

That is great to hear. Probably hear something later, familiar with time zone headaches retired navy and been all over world. Messages could take sometime no worries

That is great to hear. Probably hear something later, familiar with time zone headaches retired navy and been all over world. Messages could take sometime no worries
Yes, I usually had emails come through overnight and had my answers when getting up for work. Called and got my invoices paid by credit card over the phone. I believe they're 7 hours ahead?

Guy, for those of you reporting about shipping your crate, might I ask please that you included a total price to get crate from taxidermist to port of entry as one total price and if you care to share total price from port of entry to your house I would greatly appreciate it. I hunted Namibia (first trip to Africa) in August and still undecided what to do because previous shipping post and a couple quoted have scared me away. The OP price of 1700 to dfw is not near as bad as I have read, so curious if that's everything besides taxidermy bill and stateside importer fees.
@Spearhead, my cost for shipping my dip and pack skulls and hides (sable, kudu, oryx, waterbuck, red lechwe, bushbuck, warthog skull, steenbock skull, zebra hide, red hartebeest) through African Trophy Exporters to Chicago was $1,480; import costs with Trophy Shippers through customs and delivery from Chicago to Cincinnati OH was $1,440.
Dip and pack through African Wildlife Artistry was between $1,300 and $1,400.

Just an update from the frenzy of activity from today. Francois and Jeandre both reached out from ATE & service is exemplary! They both provided answers and went above and beyond in the customer service department. I feel they not only are after your business but also are looking out trying to mitigate costs for clients. ATE earned my future business today.
Coppersmith DFW reached out and paperwork started with them, called with a couple questions.
Due to weather they are working from home but all went smoothly and arranged for shipping to Terry Taxidermy in OKC. He is without a doubt my go to guy for all work here. Wall mount for the upcoming sable and kudu. Full disclosure personal friend after 5 or 6 spring bear hunts in dorintosh Canada.
May not update for a while cause will be a couple days before next action on the shipping. Hope this helps

Just sent docs to coppersmith DFW about 20 minutes ago and they have already sent that info to ATE for processing. This while working from home due to inclement weather DFW. Outstanding work!

I just received my shipping forms for payment from “Safari Cargo Systems” for one crate (total of 10 animals. 2 full mounts, 5 euro mounts, 2 rugs and 4 flat skins) approx 4’x3’x4’ shipped to Seattle WA, for me to pick up. Original permits, dated 11/2022, vet docs etc all inclusive total of $2,700. Looks like it’s finally moving. There will still be customs etc. fees, I’m estimating $750, by what a couple others have paid. I’m in Idaho, so I can drive to the coast in 6 hours, pick up and get home in one day, once US Customs clears me. Hoping to be decorating by the weekend. More to follow.

From plains game hunting,Kudu pedestal, springbok, shoulder mount. Euros, Gemsbok, blue Wildebeest, impala, wart hog, red Hartabeest, springbok, then a zebra and jackal rug, and lots of flat skins, including another jackal. … if I remember correctly

For those that have posted updates and price breakdowns, THANK YOU!!! This is extremely helpful and is helping to reduce the anxiety of what to do or not do taxidermy wise. Looking forward to more posts.

ATE emailed that payment credited to account Friday, hopefully, next update will be that crate is on the way. I will update if anything new happens so those following can get a better idea of time line involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg