African Trophy Export real time follow along

Just got an email from shippers to me and coppersmiths. I’ll sign and send POA docs to coppersmiths in Seattle.

Reactions: USN
All paperwork being complete, but apparently a lot of shipping goes thru Turkish Air. With all the issues associated with the earthquake damage, no one is sure how this will affect shipping at this time.
All the transfers, customs, cities, handling etc on this end is being billed at $850. That should be total shipping costs, of about $3,600 total for 10 critters.

Received an update from African Trophy Exports and have a tentative ship date of tomorrow via Istanbul then DFW. Coppersmith is in the email stream and will update once they receive a firm ship date and of course another form to fill out. No biggie but looks like USDA, fish and wildlife, and homeland security all want a piece of the pie. Has anyone ever picked up at coppersmith DFW. I am off the 20th so thinking maybe pickup since I am in OKC but wondering how long it takes at warehouse to pickup. Maybe not even ready on pres day but would probably save a couple hundred. Thanks to all watching and providing input. Hope this helps, Mac

When I spoke with the Coppersmith representative in Seattle, she said if I can’t get there after the first week, their storage is only $50. Per week, so depending on weather ( lots of snow and ice in N Idaho) it won’t be bad if I need to wait a few days for clear roads there and back. She was helpful and very polite.

Ok don’t know what exactly happened but crate was supposed to be DFW yesterday, reached out to coppersmith and they in turn emailed ATE for an update. Simple email that shipment was cancelled and rescheduled to arrive 19 February. I don’t know if delay was airline or ATE and give benefit of doubt due to freight with Turkish air is impacted due to earthquakes and those people are without a doubt the priority. Food water medical supplies hell of a lot more important than my animals. Will update as we go.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTA
Had a single crate arrive this week. A Buff Euro pedestal; two Nyala Euros, a shoulder mount Sable and some flat skins done by Highveld.

Export agent was AHG as recommended by my outfitter. They sent by air from JoBurg via Tel Aviv to Miami. $2,700 for the dip and trip.

Crate arrived in good order to my home in Tampa a few days. Now I’ve got another invoice for $1,700 from a California based company called Hahn International who say they handled the import.

Until receiving this invoice I’ve never heard of or been in contact with this company. I never received a quote or anything.

Talked to my outfitter and he says this is excessive for what little I shipped back. He’s reached out to AHG.

Anyhow; potentially $4,400 for one crate.

wow that does seem excessive however I am new to this.

1700$ does seem excessive, I paid in the neighborhood of 500$ for a crate in 2022 with 5 shoulder mounts, I had specifically asked for my crate to go to Coppersmiths in Atlanta. I know AHG has worked with Coppersmiths as they shipped my crate to them in 2021. I guess if you don’t specifically ask for something you never know what your going to get. Not sure how Hahn Int. was able to clear your trophies without you giving them power of attorney? I’ve had to grant PoA to whomever cleared my trophies.

I also had to do PofA. Required a copy of passport, driver license etc

I’ve sent them 2 different emails in the last 2 weeks regarding shipping inquiries and estimated for an upcoming trip. Crickets! Super annoying to hear nothing back. Badger Cargo responded within an hour to every email.

Roy

Who is not responding? Several different entities have been mentioned here. ATE at most responded within 36 hours. Hope this helps

Who is not responding? Several different entities have been mentioned here. ATE at most responded within 36 hours. Hope this helps
Sorry man. ATE. Not sure why taking so long but sure thought a quick return email in 2 weeks wouldnt have been that difficult.

Roy .

Must say that is disappointing, my response times have been much better. Hopefully just a hiccup. Hope your crate shipping process goes smoothly.

Had a single crate arrive this week. A Buff Euro pedestal; two Nyala Euros, a shoulder mount Sable and some flat skins done by Highveld.

Export agent was AHG as recommended by my outfitter. They sent by air from JoBurg via Tel Aviv to Miami. $2,700 for the dip and trip.

Crate arrived in good order to my home in Tampa a few days. Now I’ve got another invoice for $1,700 from a California based company called Hahn International who say they handled the import.

Until receiving this invoice I’ve never heard of or been in contact with this company. I never received a quote or anything.

Talked to my outfitter and he says this is excessive for what little I shipped back. He’s reached out to AHG.

Anyhow; potentially $4,400 for one crate.

Not sure I would pay the $1700. In my 3 trips to Africa I have always paid up front and their have always been signed contracts between the parties. In Your case neither of these two things happened . Smells bad !

Not sure I would pay the $1700. In my 3 trips to Africa I have always paid up front and their have always been signed contracts between the parties. In Your case neither of these two things happened . Smells bad !
I would lean towards what Rickmt said. You already have your trophies and the clearance has no signed paperwork from you. Also I’ve never heard of any company not wanting to be paid upfront before delivery! At least anything to do with trophies or Africa.

Well just found out the second cancelled shipment, neither time included an explanation. Third time maybe the charm. Aggravating

This is on the ATE side crate still in South Africa and has never left. 3rd ship date is scheduled, we will see.

On my first trophy shipment from a 2014 safari I had no clue what the process was, I was completely caught off guard when out of the blue my customs broker called me and said my crate was in Atlanta ( back when US airlines would fly the big 5) they told me the crate would be delivered to my taxidermist in a day or two which it was. This was about 6 months after my safari. Not knowing it was on it’s way left little worrying on my part so ignorance was bliss. Now I keep up with everything in the process and have lost lots of hair that I can’t afford to lose! They will eventually show up so sit back and enjoy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.