African Trophy Export real time follow along

I would lean towards what Rickmt said. You already have your trophies and the clearance has no signed paperwork from you. Also I’ve never heard of any company not wanting to be paid upfront before delivery! At least anything to do with trophies or Africa.

So AHG referenced out my case to a few other providers, including Coppersmith. They concluded that the charges are fair, and that I should be paying the US based importer.

To summarize, the grand total of $4,400 to ship across a single crate from JoBurg to Miami. It contained a shoulder mount sable, a small pedestal, a European mount buff, 3 flat skins and two European mount Nyala.

Between the taxidermy costs at Highveld and the shipping costs I’ve concluded that I’ll likely not bring any trophies back from Africa again. The $10,000 invested between the two would be better used hunting.

I agree with you on costs. Taxidermy and shipping is the biggest expense of a safari. I’ve got a great variety already, I’ll be looking for some fun cull hunts, where I don’t have a need for taxidermy and related costs. That will create 2X as many hunts.
Still waiting for my crate to ship from SA to Seattle. I looked up my original start of this shipment. It was ready to start for the states on 11/30/2022. Still waiting, but we’re off to Nashville to SCI Convention. Maybe it will be on the move by the time we get home

Something still doesn’t add up, I’ve cleared 4 crates and I’ve never paid over $550 for a crate to clear, this includes crates with CITES, primates and swine that add a little to the final cost. Of course shipping costs have been through the roof but actually seem to be coming dow some.

Something still doesn’t add up, I’ve cleared 4 crates and I’ve never paid over $550 for a crate to clear, this includes crates with CITES, primates and swine that add a little to the final cost. Of course shipping costs have been through the roof but actually seem to be coming dow some.
They are estimating as follows.

Clearance - $525, Terminal handling – Airline Fee $225, Storage at Airline $130 a day Average 1-2 days, $93 CITES, $550 delivery to residence.

The delivery fee is aggravating. We chose to send to Miami so that I could go grab it myself. It’s only 3 hours from my home. Apparently that message wasn’t relayed to the importer.

Anyhow, lesson learned.

Appears that whatever happens happens, SNAFU is the way we would describe back in my military days. Oh well enjoyed the trip and seriously thinking my upcoming spring trip might be pictures only, but, I really want a full body wart hog standing with a tray to go beside my chair in the cave.

They are estimating as follows.

Clearance - $525, Terminal handling – Airline Fee $225, Storage at Airline $130 a day Average 1-2 days, $93 CITES, $550 delivery to residence.

The delivery fee is aggravating. We chose to send to Miami so that I could go grab it myself. It’s only 3 hours from my home. Apparently that message wasn’t relayed to the importer.

Anyhow, lesson learned.
Sorry to see all the issues taking place.
How it should have worked (based on my sample of one). However I followed someone else that has used the same outfits several times.

We used an Import Agent (Hunter International) recommended by our African Taxi outfit, @LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY. Everyone (me and the other two hunters in our group) contacted them directly and set things rolling way ahead of time. I had emails and phone conversations with the same lady at Hunter International throughout, and she put up with all my newbie questions.

One day's storage cost was the only add-on from the early estimates. Two of us had shipments sent to DFW (one went to Denver, IIRC). My buddy picked his up and I had the import agent arrange ground freight for mine. This was discussed before the shipments left Africa.

The import agent (Hunter International) got a quote for the ground freight to Albuquerque and I approved. (Otherwise my buddy was going to pick it up at DFW along with his.) It was not cheap at ~$1k to my garage (DFW to ABQ). This was completed taxi from a July 2021 hunt delivered April 2022.

There was a considerable email string between Life-Form Taxidermy, their African shipper and Hunter International. I was kept in the loop as were the other two guys on theirs.

Reactions: USN
So AHG referenced out my case to a few other providers, including Coppersmith. They concluded that the charges are fair, and that I should be paying the US based importer.

To summarize, the grand total of $4,400 to ship across a single crate from JoBurg to Miami. It contained a shoulder mount sable, a small pedestal, a European mount buff, 3 flat skins and two European mount Nyala.

Between the taxidermy costs at Highveld and the shipping costs I’ve concluded that I’ll likely not bring any trophies back from Africa again. The $10,000 invested between the two would be better used hunting.
This is exactly what is F'ing me. Made my first trip to Namibia in august. I love mounts and want mounts but the shipping BS is what has messed me up for the last 6 months. The idea of leaving it all is unsettling, but I'm not paying the ransom. Still waiting on quotes on mounts or just all euros (which I don't care for). This is ruining my African experience as a first timer.

This is exactly what is F'ing me. Made my first trip to Namibia in august. I love mounts and want mounts but the shipping BS is what has messed me up for the last 6 months. The idea of leaving it all is unsettling, but I'm not paying the ransom. Still waiting on quotes on mounts or just all euros (which I don't care for). This is ruining my African experience as a first timer.
I knew shipping was bad before leaving to go, but I was hopeful things would get back to normal. Obviously this is all on me. Hope and reality aren't the same things. Lesson learned.

@Spearhead I came very close to leaving 12 (twelve) hunter's trophies in Botswana due to shipping/packing extortion.
It got worked out, but it was very close to abandoning all the trophies.
This was before all the current insane airfreight costs.

$10,000 in my jeans is a mighty big incentive to take some more time taking great images and leaving it at that.

@Spearhead I came very close to leaving 12 (twelve) hunter's trophies in Botswana due to shipping/packing extortion.

$10,000 in my jeans is a mighty big incentive to take some more time taking great images and leaving it at that.

im headed there. Can you explain what happened?

Thanks @BRICKBURN . It's tough for me to give up on these animals, but the ransom not paid would allow me to experience Africa for a second time .

I just received word from the exporter In South Africa that my shipment will fly on Turkish Air on 26 Feb and arrive in Chicago on 28 Feb. The cost for a sable wall pedestal and back skin, a life size red duiker and an impala skull and flat skin was just over 2k to get to Chicago. Trophy Shippers will clear in Chicago and then arrange shipment to Missouri. Fingers crossed for arrival the first of week of March.

At least you have a flight scheduled, I still have not received any info on movement. And to think, I was thinking about a Christmas delivery after a 11/20 clearance date. Now I guess I’m “hoping “ for March??

A scheduled date does not mean much in my case. 2 dates was supposed to depart and left neither time. Hope your experience is better.

I was provided with flight numbers but I know the earthquakes in Turkey might have an impact.

With shipping from Africa I’m not sure anything will happen until my trophies are on the wall! Good luck to all, things will come together. African shipping will test anyone’s patience for sure!!!

Well cancelled again, however, ATE attempted a phone call this time however connection was so bad couldn’t make out much. Email states uplift never guaranteed, well you think. Oh well at least know it is being worked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaeger Fischer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.