AFRICAN TICK BITE FEVER WHO'S GOT IT!

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Cliffy, Apr 24, 2011.

1. akeate

akeate AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA (Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Idaho), South Africa
    2 years ago. Hunted the Hippo in the picture over New Year. Took a Giraffe as well covered with ticks. I didn't check hard enough. Tick caught me between my toes.

Came home and got sick as a dog. I told them it was tick bite fever and my doctor laughed. Ran my blood work and he wasn't laughing. Good drugs and it was gone in a few days. Ticks suck .........

2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    The web link sucks unless you speak Mandarin or something....

3. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    East Cape, South Africa
    Am I understanding this correctly, that the same doxy my doc prescribed for me for malaria is also a treatment/preventive for african tick bite fever?

lcq and BWH like this.

4. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    I was fishing at a local river here in Kansas at night and the next morning I had over 25 ticks on me. I got sick and went to doctor but didn't have lyme disease or spotted fever. He said with that many ticks I got some sort of infection and gave me some antibotic and I got alright in a couple days

elmerfudd555 likes this.

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    It is used as a treatment for TBF.
    The dosage for treatment vs prevention is the question to ask that folks with the degrees.

6. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    I know what you mean about the Doctor. I got Giardia on an elk hunt in Colorado. Got sick as a dog. Went to the Doctor and told her I have Giardia. She looked at me as if I was nuts. Test proved I was right.

7. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    lcq, otsego44 and BWH like this.

8. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    +1!
    Permethrin is like magic. Some of the areas I hunt in Idaho have ticks like you would not believe. Never had a tick on me since I started use this stuff.
    Before I go hunting, whether it be here or in Africa, I treat my clothes and let them set for a few days and then wash them. The permethrin lasts through several washes. If you treat your clothing and pack it without washing you will get a bit of odor. It's not terrible, but you will smell it.
    In addition to Malarone for malaria, my travel doc gave me a prescription for Doxy just in case of TBF and one for Cipro in case of other ailments requiring an antibiotic.

otsego44 likes this.

9. Mike B

Mike B AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD)
    She was more than happy to give me the Malarone and Cipro, but wouldn't give me the Doxy because her travel docs didn't reference it at all. But since I was able to pull this thread up she relented and gave me the Doxy as well. Just seems funny that she was so resistant to give me the Doxy, not like it's a pain killer or steroid or something. Also, here is the link to the other TBF thread with the permethrin discussions on it to: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tick-bite-fever.36704/

IdaRam likes this.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones AH Member

Hunted:
    Sthn Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I had it a few years ago. I must have got a proper dose because I was very very sick. I found the bite site after it had dropped off the back of my calf muscle.

Symptoms kicked in a week after I was home. My GP was an RSA expat. He said I probably had malaria given the severity of my symptoms. Extreme migraine, fever. Tests proved negative for malaria.

I ended up in hospital on a drip for three days. Morphine was the only saviour. They put 8 litres of water through my drip in 24 hours but it was three days before I needed to pee.

After release I had residual ringing in my ears for three months from the pounding headache. The treatment was malaria medication which I didn't take prior to the hunt because of the advice of the pH.

The trouble with self examination for ticks is that you are looking for the culprit after the damage is done. Prevention is the best option.

I knew I was tasty...

lcq and otsego44 like this.

11. otsego44

otsego44 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, LIAHAS, and QDMA
    Hunted:
    United States, Canada & Africa
    Like the man says, prevention...

12. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    I must be lucky. First I treat my clothing. My doctor is a very competent and common sense guy. I ask for doxy just in case, he writes the script. Any doctor worth their salt knows you will be in the middle of BFN and have limited to no access to medical treatment

otsego44 likes this.

13. IA Monsterbuck

IA Monsterbuck AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    The article says April to November are the worst months but I assume they mean Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, and Apr?

I'm going to SA the second half of August, should I be concerned about ticks?

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones AH Member

Hunted:
    Not really. I was there in may and crawling around the long green grass with my bow. A zebra I shot was loaded with them. The oxpeckers looked like they were struggling to take off, they were so full!

15. 1dirthawker

1dirthawker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    i got tick bite fever as well. was in SA hunting plains game. got a bite on my right peck, in the crease of my armpit. it looked like it got infected a bit and i went to a doc as i was feeling a bit lousy, aching in my bones.

told doc i'd been in SA he comes back in, says "i think you have tick bite fever" gave me some doxy, felt good as new in a few days.
    had to pull ticks off on multiple occasions.

used bug dope regularly, but got bit anyway.

16. otsego44

otsego44 AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, LIAHAS, and QDMA
    Hunted:
    United States, Canada & Africa
    My nephew got TBF from a bite in July in SA, but he's the type that doesn't believe in any prevention. My son and I had no problems in May and June in Namibia, but took precautions. When it comes to ticks anywhere in the world you can't be too careful. Spray your clothes, boots and gaiters with Permethrin and hunt the wind, as we should. Knock on wood, so far, so good for me.

17. whitetail

whitetail AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, RMEF
    Hunted:
    RSA, Zimbabwe
    I got it 2 months ago upon my return from Zim- thought it was jet lag but after the headaches, fevers and pain in my lower back and then finding a tick bite on my right ankle that had a dark circle around it, I knew what it was. I got a 21 day course of doxycycline.... I saw earlier post that said just 7 day course- this is ok, but will NOT prevent Q Fever which is a lifelong tick bite fever- same as in Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever (approx. 2% go on to develop this but is preventable with 3 week course of doxycycline). So, get your physician to prescribe you the full 3 week course- unless you want the "gift that keeps on giving the whole year round (and for life)".:coffee:

Dewald likes this.

18. cls

cls AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
    I would, I got it in September 2012 from pepper ticks. The funny thing is, everyone thinks you just get it from the ticks you see, not true, I got mine from pepper ticks which are the size of a grain of pepper. Never saw them and didn't know I had been bitten until they started to itch and puss up. Took a while to get over. Treat your cloths no matter what time of year you are going. It has been reported that due to the wet weather there has been a higher number of TBF cases this year.
    Just my 2 bits.

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones AH Member

Hunted:
    That's a bit of new information. Can I ask how you know? Has it been verified? I thought I'd been properly educated on the subject but apparently not!

When I was in hospital a nurse asked me when I was at my worst if I would ever go back to Africa knowing what might be waiting for me. I said, "even if I knew I was going to get bitten I'd still go back first chance I get!"

Africa is heroin....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2018

20. Dave Lowe

Dave Lowe AH Member

Hunted:
    USA
    I'm fortunate to live with a world-class immunologist (often keynote speaker at global health events) and as a side dish have several virologists in my social circle as well. I've been floating malaria questions to them recently among other stuff as I make my prep for next year. I'll ask about this too.

If anyone has any specific questions to ask of them I'll be happy to convey on your behalf, just let me know!

Side note: from prsonal experience, if you want to see a group of microbiologists go into a tail spin, ask them whether or not penguins have knees.

Erny, Mike B, Pheroze and 1 other person like this.