African Hunter Magazine

Hombre

AH senior member
Joined
Apr 11, 2022
Messages
78
Reaction score
191
Location
Texas
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, SA, Canada, NZ, Mexico
Having recently moved, I discovered a box of old African Hunter magazines from the 90's to early 2000's. I have spent hours reading those old articles by some of the most famous hunters in (mostly) Zim. Don Heath did a fantastic job of putting that magazine together. I only wish someone would start up production of such a magazine although I realize many of the old authors have passed on. Is there anyone in Zim that could resurrect this treasured magazine?
 
I, too, found a box of old African Hunter magazines when in RSA, and they were delicious to read. I brought a few back with my favorite articles. Highly recommended!
 
Having recently moved, I discovered a box of old African Hunter magazines from the 90's to early 2000's. I have spent hours reading those old articles by some of the most famous hunters in (mostly) Zim. Don Heath did a fantastic job of putting that magazine together. I only wish someone would start up production of such a magazine although I realize many of the old authors have passed on. Is there anyone in Zim that could resurrect this treasured magazine?
I happened to be reading Pierre van der Walt's book "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" last night and he mentioned an article Don Heath wrote in Volume 11 No. 3 issue of "African Hunter" magazine.

Specifically, van der Walt wrote in the 416 Rigby section of the book (quoting Heath from the article): "Park records from Zimbabwe show that hunters who are attacked at close range (such as in Jesse) have scant chance of stopping an attack if armed with anything under a .404, and survival rates from recorded instances go up markedly as the hunters' armament gets bigger."

As you can imagine, that passage piqued my interest in reading more what Heath had to say on the subject. You don't by chance have that issue of African Hunter magazine on hand do you? If so, could you take some photos of the article and share it with me?
 
Let me go through them and try to find. I read those magazines cover to cover when I got them. One of the advantages of getting old, I can go back and read them again like they were new.
I have found, without a doubt, those old guys like Ian N., knew what they were talking about!
 
I've got Vol 11, #2 and #4 but no # 3. Sorry.
 
Hombre,
I asked my friend Peter Flack about this very subject. He said that based on his experience with print media that those days are long gone. There are only a few mags out there now that are surviving, and just that "surviving". I do not know the answer other than the internet has killed this as well as newspapers. Anything done on paper is gone. I wish it weren't so.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,260
Messages
1,570,032
Members
168,814
Latest member
Lenteriy
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top