Advice on caliber selection for Zambia trip

Where did you take a red lechwe in Zambia? I said in other post I know they are there because I shot close to Zambia in Caprivi, but was unaware of any hunting opportunities in Zambia until now.
I believe it was the Kansonso area in Zambia, but I could be wrong, I was 14-15 years old at time and we drive all over Zambia. No Charter flights. We spent maybe 60 days in country hunting with Don Price. The plains/swamp game was a side note as we or should I say was after the big 5 with a handgun at the time.

How long would it take you to retrieve the 30-06?
06 and 375 would get it done for me. Any of the .300's and the 375 will keep you smiling, as well as your taxidermist!

I will be seeing my son next month and again in early July so I can get my hands on the .30-06 easily. Would have to figure out some ammo.

I believe it was the Kansonso area in Zambia, but I could be wrong, I was 14-15 years old at time and we drive all over Zambia. No Charter flights. We spent maybe 60 days in country hunting with Don Price. The plains/swamp game was a side note as we or should I say was after the big 5 with a handgun at the time.

What a dream. I can only imagine. Please tell us more.

As Scott said sounds like an interesting story

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.56.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.56.47 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.56.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.56.49 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.56.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.56.51 AM.png
    860.1 KB · Views: 51
I‘d take your .375 for everything. I did so on my 2nd hunt in Namibia. No regret.

We’re not done helping until you’re out of money!

We’re not done helping until you’re out of money!

I guess it’s a battle of wills! I’m tempted by the Dakota .416 Rigby but since it doesn’t fix my 6.5 vs .300 conundrum, so far, my will power is barely holding. My Lott covers the .416 “need” but not the want!

I guess it’s a battle of wills! I’m tempted by the Dakota .416 Rigby but since it doesn’t fix my 6.5 vs .300 conundrum, so far, my will power is barely holding. My Lott covers the .416 “need” but not the want!

I tried to steer you in the right direction on the other thread. Get the .416 and then we will help you sort out an 8x68 to complement it. You’re welcome!

I received shipments of two boxes of new Norma .375 H&H brass and have 150 more new RP cases coming from an AH member. I received 150 270gr Barnes LRX bullets from Barnes that will be going to my reloading guy. He will only load new brass and the rifle is sighted in with his load but I ran out. He couldn’t find components but I did.

I received 1 box of 50 300gr Swift A-Frame bullets from Swift. Also received 3 boxes of Federal Safari 300gr Swift A-Frame factory loads from Federal. These shipments should get me through spring brown bear season in Alaska as well as the Zambia trip so I guess I’ve decided to take the .375 H&H Whitworth that is also pictured. Best wood on a Whitworth I’ve ever seen.

CAB3D971-63A6-4CB3-A776-037222513623.jpeg

The Whitworth 375 and ammo/components. I think I will take it, instead of the Lott, and also one of the rifles in the next post.

Last edited:
D065ABA6-6DB2-4C6B-BEA4-27CF33DA041F.jpeg

The other 3 rifles I am considering for PG. .338 up top. 6.5 GAP SAUM in middle only for swamp species. .300 WSM on bottom.

Seems most members recommend the .300 WSM. It’s very light so I guess I will shoot it off sticks and see how steady I can get. It’s best off a daypack or prone, which won’t be the norm in Africa. It’s sighted in with 165gr Nosler Accubond reloads and that won’t be changing because the dots in the scope for 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards are calibrated for that specific load. If the .300 is not shooting off sticks very well, I will take the 6.5 for swamp species and use the .375 for everything else.

Last edited:
As much as I enjoy trying to spend your money, you are very well equipped!

As much as I enjoy trying to spend your money, you are very well equipped!
Thanks! I am still considering the Dakota .416 Rigby for my 2023 Tanzania trip. I am supplying the rifles for a full bag hunt split between a friend and I. He’s bringing a .375 JDJ hand cannon and I’m bringing the rifles. A .375 and a .416 might be fun on that trip! I went as far as researching .416 Rigby ammo. It’s pretty hard to find right now.

Thanks! I am still considering the Dakota .416 Rigby for my 2023 Tanzania trip. I am supplying the rifles for a full bag hunt split between a friend and I. He’s bringing a .375 JDJ hand cannon and I’m bringing the rifles. A .375 and a .416 might be fun on that trip! I went as far as researching .416 Rigby ammo. It’s pretty hard to find right now.
Just to complicate your life, there you may have to actually reach out a ways for some of the iconic PG species. Your 6.5 would seem to make more sense dropping a Tommy a 300 yards than a sitatunga at 150. :E Shrug: :E Shrug: :E Angel:

Last edited:
Just to complicate your life, there you may have to actually reach out a ways for some of the iconic PG species. Your 6.5 would seem to make more sense dropping a Tommy a .300 yards than a sitatunga at 150. :E Shrug: :E Shrug: :E Angel:
Haha, yes the 6.5 would be great for a Tommy.

According to my Zambian PH, we could get some 300+ yard shots in Kansonso Busanga for lechwe and sitatunga. I definitely would rather be closer but also be prepared for long shots. Longer shots also possible in Kafue Flats and Bangweulu for certain big lechwe that can be hard to approach and single out when getting spooky. After all this speculation, I will probably get them all at 150 yards!

Haha, yes the 6.5 would be great for a Tommy.

According to my Zambian PH, we could get some 300+ yard shots in Kansonso Busanga for lechwe and sitatunga. I definitely would rather be closer but also be prepared for long shots. Longer shots also possible in Kafue Flats and Bangweulu for certain big lechwe that can be hard to approach and single out when getting spooky. After all this speculation, I will probably get them all at 150 yards!
I would go with your experienced gut and quit listening to all of this. :A Way To Go:

I would go with your experienced gut and quit listening to all of this. :A Way To Go:

Yes, Sir. I will shoot both the 6.5 and .300 from sticks and go with the one I can shoot best from that position. I hope to shoot from the ground where possible as well. I actually want to use the .375 for most of the species but I’m a bit tentative to shoot it past 300 yards, if required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg