Advice needed Dangerous Game rifle

While I do not think any animal on this planet will know the difference between the .404 Jeffrey and .416 Rigby I am quite sure you will.

I have both in CZ 550 rifles. They both have Trijicon accupoint 1-4 scopes and identical mounts. They weigh almost the same to the ounce. The only visible difference is the longer barrel on the .416.

Perceived recoil is an entirely different matter. The .404 is not at all unpleasant to shoot and I prefer shooting it to my Kimber .375 Caprivi. The .416's recoil to me is brutal.

I have never thought myself to be recoil sensitive. I have doubles in .450-400 and .470 Nitro. I have Ultra Mags. The .416 is my recoil limit if not slightly past.

I am a huge fan of both the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 and .404 as they seem to punish the target animal and not the shooter.

While I do not think any animal on this planet will know the difference between the .404 Jeffrey and .416 Rigby I am quite sure you will.

I have both in CZ 550 rifles. They both have Trijicon accupoint 1-4 scopes and identical mounts. They weigh almost the same to the ounce. The only visible difference is the longer barrel on the .416.

Perceived recoil is an entirely different matter. The .404 is not at all unpleasant to shoot and I prefer shooting it to my Kimber .375 Caprivi. The .416's recoil to me is brutal.

I have never thought myself to be recoil sensitive. I have doubles in .450-400 and .470 Nitro. I have Ultra Mags. The .416 is my recoil limit if not slightly past.

I am a huge fan of both the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 and .404 as they seem to punish the target animal and not the shooter.

I have the CZ 550 in 375, 416 Rigby and 458 Lott.

Many who have shot both the 416 and the 458 Lott found the Rigby punished them a bit more. I don't find a huge difference between the Rigby and the Lott in my 550's either.

The 375 H&H is just a beauty though. Very nice to shoot. I have yet to fire a 404 but will someday.

For use as a hunter, or PH?

What is your prior experience with .375 and up?

What is your physical stature - if you are on the small side a true magnum action for the .416 could push you on weight. A slight consideration, either will work for DG.

The .404 will probably cost less for both rifle and ammo?
If a PH here would ask this question seriously, he is not one.
@Foxi The OP may not be a PH currently...but looking to become one. It's a valid question.

Get yourself a .458W and practise. If your comfortable and confident with that level of recoil and accuracy, then trade on. You will learn a lot about what works and fits for you. I have no idea what the Rand will get you in S.A. or your budget/experience. With careful planning you don't need to spend a fortune.

@Foxi The OP may not be a PH currently...but looking to become one. It's a valid question.
I don't know...
It's a long way to go to Zimbabwe or Zambia to be qualified for Big Game.
The DG game rifle is an end product of education, not a beginning.

What made you choose those two calibers? A 375 is a perfect DG gun. Ive taken all dg in Africa with that caliber. Ive used them for bear, elk, bison as well with no problem. I would think ammo for the 404 would be tough currently and normally the guns are a little pricey. Plus there is not a big difference between the two calibers. Only recoil lol.
Do you have a certain budget? Is your intention to use this new gun on DG? Have you considered a 458 win?

I'm interested in getting myself a DG rifle. 404 or 416 Rigby. Your advice would be appreciated, please. Thanks
get a 416, a 404 is kind of cooler (more cool) but 416 bullets and cases are easier to get and are every bit as effective. good luck on your choice

If a PH here would ask this question seriously, he is not one.

I don't know...
It's a long way to go to Zimbabwe or Zambia to be qualified for Big Game.
The DG game rifle is an end product of education, not a beginning.
It strikes me as interesting how so many folks seem to find this place and be inspired to pursue such big rifles. Often they know so very little when they start out. I can scarcely believe the folks that want to start reloading in .404 or .416. How about we load some .38 Special wadcutters first there brave adventurer? I'm even more shocked by the experienced folks who enable it rather than suggesting that maybe a Safari Magnum is not the place to learn the fundamentals of metallic cartridge reloading.

I vote skip the big boys and stick with the .375. Hit probability will be greater as will shoulder and face survival.

Yaseen, if you decide on a 404 Jeffery, send Gert Odendaal a PM. He has a gunsmith buddy that converts Mausers to that caliber. Here is a link but I'm sure there are others.

John Brussel of Brussel Gunstocks in Parow builds a lot of Custom DG Rifles. Give him a call.

It strikes me as interesting how so many folks seem to find this place and be inspired to pursue such big rifles. Often they know so very little when they start out. I can scarcely believe the folks that want to start reloading in .404 or .416. How about we load some .38 Special wadcutters first there brave adventurer? I'm even more shocked by the experienced folks who enable it rather than suggesting that maybe a Safari Magnum is not the place to learn the fundamentals of metallic cartridge reloading.

I vote skip the big boys and stick with the .375. Hit probability will be greater as will shoulder and face survival.
Is this not a platform to ask for advice?

Yaseen, if you decide on a 404 Jeffery, send Gert Odendaal a PM. He has a gunsmith buddy that converts Mausers to that caliber. Here is a link but I'm sure there are others.

@ shootist43 much obliged. Thank you. Will definitely make contact.

I started reloading for 45 ACP and 30-06 at about the same time. Then 404. Honestly I don’t see any difference; the process is the same. If anything, with the big stuff, you tend to shoot less, so there’s no real pressure to load a bunch which encourages a nice slow pace at the reloading bench. Slow at the bench is a good place to start.

As far as shooting goes, the big boys probably aren’t the best place to start.

Or go light and handy and shoot a Winchester 1895 .405 WCF with bullets of 210, 300, 360 (North Fork)and 400 grains.
All a piece of cake if you hand load.
This rig equals the 450/400 and that is a well proven combo. In fact with NF solids, the ele is also fair game.
51985_600x400.jpg

Enjoy your practice and hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this not a platform to ask for advice?
Sure it is, but that advice may be worth less than or equal to exactly what you paid for it.
I started reloading for 45 ACP and 30-06 at about the same time. Then 404. Honestly I don’t see any difference; the process is the same. If anything, with the big stuff, you tend to shoot less, so there’s no real pressure to load a bunch which encourages a nice slow pace at the reloading bench. Slow at the bench is a good place to start.

As far as shooting goes, the big boys probably aren’t the best place to start.
What I was meaning here is that reloading experience should probably start where it's cheaper during the figure it out stage. Why trash a $5 piece of brass because you forgot case lube or don't know how to set up dies? Personally working my way up would've been smarter. I messed up a few pieces of .300 win mag brass learning how to reload. Just because you want to save money on the top end of powerful and expensive is exactly why you should learn to reload on the less expensive and powerful end.

Sure it is, but that advice may be worth less than or equal to exactly what you paid for it.

What I was meaning here is that reloading experience should probably start where it's cheaper during the figure it out stage. Why trash a $5 piece of brass because you forgot case lube or don't know how to set up dies? Personally working my way up would've been smarter. I messed up a few pieces of .300 win mag brass learning how to reload. Just because you want to save money on the top end of powerful and expensive is exactly why you should learn to reload on the less expensive and powerful end.
That makes a lot of sense.

I would get both but I prefer the 404 jeffery or dakota. Less recoil than the 416.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg