poco

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
My 375 ruger has a hollow core stock , and weighs around 7lbs , was thinking about adding 1-1.5 pounds of lead or nickel inside the core and adding re enforcing foam and a new limb saver recoil pad
about how much recoil will this relieve from this Meth fueled kicking mule ?
recoil is above 2x my .300wm or = to a 10 bore shotgun

Automotive sound deadening material is very effective for adding weight and deadening sound in a hollow stock. Especially synthetic stocks. It’s dense, heavy material so adds weight and deadens the plastic or hollow wood sound

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 7.53.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 7.53.07 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
My 375 ruger has a hollow core stock , and weighs around 7lbs , was thinking about adding 1-1.5 pounds of lead or nickel inside the core and adding re enforcing foam and a new limb saver recoil pad
Hope you didn’t blow out your orbital socket. :).

Automotive sound deadening material is very effective for adding weight and deadening sound in a hollow stock. Especially synthetic stocks. It’s dense, heavy material so adds weight and deadens the plastic or hollow wood sound

Just cut the sheets into proper length and stack them in?
want to try and get the weight forward in the hollow?

Yes cut them however works best and fill the front of the void

Measure the space and build up the tape to that shape and size. Then slide the block of material into the stock and it adheres to the side

I laid mine around the entire circumference to deaden the hollow plastic sound. Of course the additional weight reduced felt recoil also

Here is an accustock I did. The ergonomics are great but it felt cheap. So I added the deadening material, installed a quality foam under some leather for a better cheek weld and painted the stock. Made a good stock design with cheap materials and execution. Into a good stock.
IMG_2682.jpeg
IMG_2686.jpeg

Just cut the sheets into proper length and stack them in?
want to try and get the weight forward in the hollow?
I'm probably a cheap-o bottom feeder, but activated fiberglass resin poured in with lead shot will get it as weight forward as you want, just weigh shot beforehand.
Having said that, I like the sound deadening idea formerly mentioned.

I'm probably a cheap-o bottom feeder, but activated fiberglass resin poured in with lead shot will get it as weight forward as you want, just weigh shot beforehand.
Having said that, I like the sound deadening idea formerly mentioned.
Wonder what the resin would weigh?
I put 4 270gr rounds in the magazine + 18oz lead in the hollow butt with cut foam as a base filler = 9lbs naked

after this composite stock “ deal “ I probably won’t ever buy anything but walnut
it’s amazing how cruddy a composite stock is when you completely disassemble a rifle
and scrutinize the faults

this is definitely still a work in progress

Wonder what the resin would weigh?
I put 4 270gr rounds in the magazine + 18oz lead in the hollow butt with cut foam as a base filler = 9lbs naked

after this composite stock “ deal “ I probably won’t ever buy anything but walnut
it’s amazing how cruddy a composite stock is when you completely disassemble a rifle
and scrutinize the faults

this is definitely still a work in progress
Yes, many lower end stocks are very poorly built. That being stated, if you look at a high tech/Bansner, Echols/McMillan, AHR synthetic etc. the quality is light years apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdytheThow

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.