A (very) short story

8 x 60

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Europe
After a few days of bad weather the sea, though there was a decent swell, was like oil. Smooth and glassy. Perfect for spotting fish. The hunter’s eyes scanned the sea, a bit of flotsam spotted . A bit of wood washed off a tanker or maybe jetsam , some junk carelessly thrown .
Position and line the boat up.

A wide pass at 10 knots 20 yards away from the flotsam.. Trolling a spread of four lures. The inner two behind teasers the outer two a bit longer. The overall spread between 20 and 35 yards behind the boat. Splashing and sparkling in the bright sunlight.

You see those babies steaming in. Dorsals cutting the water leaving a spray behind them like jet - skis.
Excitement intensifies. Legs shaking with excitement as uncontrollable as a Spaniel's legs on the scent of a covey of partridges. “Which rod are the gonna hit?” you are thinking.. Then “Bang” a rod bends to the gunwale .
"Don't stop the boat yet there may be more” Then. Two fish on, boat in neutral and slowing as the fish run, leaping and arcing . Taking line..

Picking up the rod. The rod pulsates and the reel screams. The fish rebels against something it has never experienced before. You have the rod firmly now but are not in control. You let the fish run. You have to.
It briefly leaves the water again and doing so gives the hunter a sight of its magnificence, size and colour .The age old dilemma.. Its a wild creature on the end of that line. Its a battle. You know if you win the fight the fish will die.

You are a hunter..

The fish comes off the hook and the adrenalin subsides… Then you smile…Open a beer and maybe smoke a stoogie. It's called fishing not catching after all ..

But it sure as hell is fun..

well done.

Pulled up to a kelp paddy once that could've floated a small city on a small charter boat........I heard the fish finder bark like mad.......nothing but hungry dorado eager to go wide open. Just dropped the sardine into the water and watched the fish come take it no more than two feet from the boat. You just took me back to that moment.

Nothing like the sound of a reel screaming.... @PHOENIX PHIL , agree now I just want to go fishing!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like the sound of a reel screaming.... @PHOENIX PHIL , agree now I just want to go fishing!!!!!!!!!
Simon that would imply that you have actually caught a fish. :p:p:p:p

Gizmo ! ! ! No further commentary ! !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg