A Very Nice, Affordable Shotgun - Beretta Orvis Uplander Waterfowler

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
In the early to mid-1980s Orvis got the idea to partner with Beretta to buy custom 686 series actions from Italy, and then to hand checker and fit the custom at their flagship store in Manchester, VT and their shooting school, Sandanona. The result was a gun that suffered none of the gross aesthetics of the typical Berettas: they didn't have ugly finishes, acid-etched fake engraving, nor did they have the lumber-mill quality wood. Instead, they were a beautifully understated matte finish to the barreled actions, and the checkering and casting of the stocks, along with a hand rubbed oil finish was completed by their master gunsmith, Jordan Smith.

This particular 12 gauge gun is a dandy, it's the "waterfowler" upgrade which added 3" chambers, removable chokes, rubber recoil pad, and an all weather airline case to the normal "uplander" package.

The gun has a single selectable trigger, 5 chokes, a set of orvis nickel snap caps, choke wrench, and all the original papers and certificates. The gun has XXX+ Walnut and lovely 28 line per inch hand checkering. The silver escutcheon in the stock remains blank. You would not be able to buy this wood set today for the price of the shotgun.

The gun has 28" barrels, ejectors, approximately 14.25" LOP, is cast off for a right hand shooter, and has standard drops at heel and comb. For the money, these guns are unequaled as rainy day guns. They are excellent all-around guns for upland, fowling, and clays.

Selling it off because its a spare "guest gun" for the property and to date, zero guests have used it. The gun has had less than two boxes of shells fired through it by me and it looked like the original owner barely used it as well.

Minor chip to forend noticeable from one zoomed in shot shown below.

First person to "I'll take it" gets it today. $2500 plus $75 Fedex ground shipping to an FFL of your choice in the lower 48 States. Payment via Venmo, Zelle, or Paypal F&F appreciated, otherwise you can send a check and wait a couple weeks for it to fully clear. Absolutely no cashiers checks or money orders accepted.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

I think the 686 is one of the best guns Beretta ever put out. IMHO.
Hmm my 20 ga 686 might need a companion

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful gun and great gentleman to deal with

Awesome! I wish it was cast on. Just out of curiosity why no cashiers check or money orders? Just want to make sure I have knowledge not to get screwed on scams

Awesome! I wish it was cast on. Just out of curiosity why no cashiers check or money orders? Just want to make sure I have knowledge not to get screwed on scams

Because the banking system is based in the stone ages, contrary to popular belief. A fraudulent cashiers check will always be drafted from one of the most remote locations in the central banking system. Yes, due to my good CREDIT the bank will make the funds immediately available, but the interbank routing of the actual proceeds takes days to weeks. Add to that, I cannot e-deposit a cashiers check, so I have to drive 30 mins round trip, plus wait 15 minutes at a bank to deposit said cashiers check. Adding time and inconvenience, wear and tear on my car, fuel surcharge, I suppose I’d take a cashier’s check for an additional $400.

A postal money order requires me to drive to my rural post office, opened only on Saturdays from 8am-12pm. There is always a massive line. They probably don’t have the tender to cover a large money order in cash anyway. I can’t e-deposit it. I can’t even deposit it to the bank pursuant to my $400 additional surcharge I’ve assigned to a cashiers check. So I’ll take a money order for an additional $1000 convenience fee.

Compare to, a bad check. It took me 30 seconds to endorse and e-deposit a normal check. I then have the risk that it bounces 7-10 days later, but at least I just lost the merchandise to the scam, not the $400-$1000 of inconvenience I’ve assigned above.

Or alternatively to sending a stupid piece of paper in the mail, waiting 7-10 days to get it, then taking a JPEG of it and emailing it to my bank (an e-deposit), someone could just click a few buttons on their phone and send me Zelle, Chase Bill Pay, Venmo, or Paypal F&F. No fees. No time wasted. I can then in turn punch a few buttons and magical FedEx elves come the next day and pick up the item and the person has it in 3 days.

There is zero further assurance or confidence provided by a Cashier’s Check or a Postal Money Order. They are frequently counterfeited, and frankly I’d rather have a bad check than a good cashiers check or MO for the reasons outlined above. Above all of those, I’d rather have electronic payment, because the buyer surely is going to want the wonders of modern technology when it comes to electronic shipping request to get it delivered timely.

The stamp, envelope, and check have had a good run, but they need to die the horrible death they deserve.

Last edited:
Because the banking system is based in the stone ages, contrary to popular belief. A fraudulent cashiers check will always be drafted from one of the most remote locations in the central banking system. Yes, due to my good CREDIT the bank will make the funds immediately available, but the interbank routing of the actual proceeds takes days to weeks. Add to that, I cannot e-deposit a cashiers check, so I have to drive 30 mins round trip, plus wait 15 minutes at a bank to deposit said cashiers check. Adding time and inconvenience, wear and tear on my car, fuel surcharge, I suppose I’d take a cashier’s check for an additional $400.

A postal money order requires me to drive to my rural post office, opened only on Saturdays from 8am-12pm. There is always a massive line. They probably don’t have the tender to cover a large money order in cash anyway. I can’t e-deposit it. I can’t even deposit it to the bank pursuant to my $400 additional surcharge I’ve assigned to a cashiers check. So I’ll take a money order for an additional $1000 convenience fee.

Compare to, a bad check. It took me 30 seconds to endorse and e-deposit a normal check. I then have the risk that it bounces 7-10 days later, but at least I just lost the merchandise to the scam, not the $400-$1000 of inconvenience I’ve assigned above.

Or alternatively to sending a stupid piece of paper in the mail, waiting 7-10 days to get it, then taking a JPEG of it and emailing it to my bank (an e-deposit), someone could just click a few buttons on their phone and send me Zelle, Chase Bill Pay, Venmo, or Paypal F&F. No fees. No time wasted. I can then in turn punch a few buttons and magical FedEx elves come the next day and pick up the item and the person has it in 3 days.

There is zero further assurance or confidence provided by a Cashier’s Check or a Postal Money Order. They are frequently counterfeited, and frankly I’d rather have a bad check than a good cashiers check or MO for the reasons outlined above. Above all of those, I’d rather have electronic payment, because the buyer surely is going to want the wonders of modern technology when it comes to electronic shipping request to get it delivered timely.

The stamp, envelope, and check have had a good run, but they need to die the horrible death they deserve.
Ok Rook, thanks for that! I’m slow on the technology and out west a 100 mile drive one way is “Montana close” and luckily I haven’t been scammed. But it seems while we work an honest day… there is someone at home for the same amount of time figuring out how to screw you.

On this forum, with known buyers or sellers, I’ve never been cheated. Not ever. It’s sort of an electronic version of a guild hall: a handshake and a yes I will is enough.

Worst thing that has happened to me so far is chasing a buyer for six weeks for payment, but that’s someone being flaky, not fraudulent.

Someone determined to defraud another party will always find a way, but then again, the goods on this site aren’t particularly easy to fence, so crooks generally stick with more common items on broader advertised general sales websites.

Thank you rookhawk! I’m really excited, rookhawk drives a hard bargain but gave me a great deal for a great shotgun! Pleasure to do business!

You snooze you lose, I might’ve been on this if I saw it…that just means it was destined to be CZ’s!

I didn't think one could pay for a firearm with some of the electronic payment options you've described? I keep reading where buyers were getting their accounts cancelled by PayPal for just buying a riflescope? I don't use them but would if I could buy firearms, ammo or related items. My wife uses PayPal for her quilting stuff but I have been reluctant to use her account for fear of having it cancelled. Maybe you could explain this to the uninformed like me? Thanks!

I picked up the Orvis custom Beretta shipped to me by rookhawk today and as the saying goes ”pictures do not do it justice!”
Absolutely beautiful Shotgun!!!
Thanks again rook!!!
I just saw this. Beautiful shotgun with GREAT wood! Congrats to you and Rookhawk.

I didn't think one could pay for a firearm with some of the electronic payment options you've described? I keep reading where buyers were getting their accounts cancelled by PayPal for just buying a riflescope? I don't use them but would if I could buy firearms, ammo or related items. My wife uses PayPal for her quilting stuff but I have been reluctant to use her account for fear of having it cancelled. Maybe you could explain this to the uninformed like me? Thanks!
I put a fair amount on Paypal and I've never had any issues. If I do a person to person payment, I definitely don't put the subject as "drugs and ammo and guns" or anything blatant. Then again, that's a small percentage of my paying for my hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynFav

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.