A Surgeon Among Client Shikaris

I was looking at the picture you provided and it looked like one that my Uncle Herman used when I was hunting with him in the 1960s. Thanks again for your report.

I was looking at the picture you provided and it looked like one that my Uncle Herman used when I was hunting with him in the 1960s. Thanks again for your report.
Gesch
Did your uncle ever hunt in India ?
Thank you so much for your kind words .

As mentioned “ST” stands for “Shooting Times” magazine. Some writers for it got into the wildcat mood during a period of time, Layne Simpson and Ken Waters (famous for his “Pet Loads” books). They developed wildcat cartridges such as 7mm STW (developed for long range western US game), 7mm STE (necked down .307 Winchester for use in the Winchester lever action for Eastern woods whitetail deer hunters), and 358 STA (358 caliber for Alaska hunting). They have actually developed more such as 270 and 6.5 mm, but I don’t think they ever went commercial.
I believe the 7mm STW was/is the most popular and may be the only one still available commercially. Or not.
This is about all I am aware of. I subscribed for many years to Shooting Times magazine. It was a decent rag IMO.

OK Kawshik, I’m waiting for your next episode!:rolleyes:

As mentioned “ST” stands for “Shooting Times” magazine. Some writers for it got into the wildcat mood during a period of time, Layne Simpson and Ken Waters (famous for his “Pet Loads” books). They developed wildcat cartridges such as 7mm STW (developed for long range western US game), 7mm STE (necked down .307 Winchester for use in the Winchester lever action for Eastern woods whitetail deer hunters), and 358 STA (358 caliber for Alaska hunting). They have actually developed more such as 270 and 6.5 mm, but I don’t think they ever went commercial.
I believe the 7mm STW was/is the most popular and may be the only one still available commercially. Or not.
This is about all I am aware of. I subscribed for many years to Shooting Times magazine. It was a decent rag IMO.

OK Kawshik, I’m waiting for your next episode!:rolleyes:
Ridge Walker
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will hopefully finish writing another today. I am actually preparing for deer Shikar season which opens in two weeks time , so please forgive me.

Best of luck deer hunting!

Ridge Walker
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will hopefully finish writing another today. I am actually preparing for deer Shikar season which opens in two weeks time , so please forgive me.

Dear mr Rahman
Wish you good luck hunting deer!

And in the meantime waiting for your next article.

Also, modern day Bangladesh sika deer hunting, could be also very interesting article, should you wish to enlighten us!

Kindest regards!

Last edited:
Dear mr Rahman
Wish you good luck hunting deer!

And in the meantime waiting for your next article.

Also, modern day Bangladesh sika deer hunting, could be also very interesting article, should you wish to enlighten us!

Kindest regards!
Mark Hunter
That is an excellent idea. Perhaps , the topic of a future article ?
And thank you . I have received police permission for shooting two Sambhar deer this year. One , l will shoot with my Beretta 12 bore over and under , by using a Game Bore SG cartridge in the half choke barrel. The other , l will shoot with my ISSC magnum .22 Bolt operation rifle , with a shot to the neck region.

Mark Hunter
That is an excellent idea. Perhaps , the topic of a future article ?

Absolutely Sir,
I cant wait to read this one!

Hystoric hunts that you are describing are excellent, but modern hunting might be even more intersting. To me it is appealing!

Thank you in advance!

...I have received police permission for shooting two Sambhar deer this year. One , l will shoot with my Beretta 12 bore over and under , by using a Game Bore SG cartridge in the half choke barrel. The other , l will shoot with my ISSC magnum .22 Bolt operation rifle , with a shot to the neck region.

Then I wish you a lot of success.

I've been trying to hunt Sambar deers in Malaysia. I sat regularly for a few days in a seat on a tree in the jungle of Pahang , but unfortunately without success.

Then I wish you a lot of success.

I've been trying to hunt Sambar deers in Malaysia. I sat regularly for a few days in a seat on a tree in the jungle of Pahang , but unfortunately without success.
Kurpfalzjager
Thank you so much for your support .
IMG_20191002_033105.jpg
IMG_20190920_143758.jpg
Imdeed , they have delicious meat and fine skins .

Gesch
Did your uncle ever hunt in India ?
Thank you so much for your kind words .
My uncle Herman hunted in the State of Wisconsin in the U.S.A. We mostly hunted small game such as pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels. When White Tailed deer became more prevalent he hunted in northern WI for them. The guns that I saw of his were the 12 ga Remington semi-automatic with the poly choke device I mentioned and a Winchester model 94 in 32 Special caliber for his northern WI deer hunts. He also hunted in parts of Canada and Alaska while deployed in the U.S. Army during WWII. He was on the detail constructing the highway across western Canada out to the State of Alaska. He worked as a cook and had off duty time to hunt and fish. I don't know the detail of this time. Thanks for your many writings. They are highly valued by me and many others on this site.

My uncle Herman hunted in the State of Wisconsin in the U.S.A. We mostly hunted small game such as pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels. When White Tailed deer became more prevalent he hunted in northern WI for them. The guns that I saw of his were the 12 ga Remington semi-automatic with the poly choke device I mentioned and a Winchester model 94 in 32 Special caliber for his northern WI deer hunts. He also hunted in parts of Canada and Alaska while deployed in the U.S. Army during WWII. He was on the detail constructing the highway across western Canada out to the State of Alaska. He worked as a cook and had off duty time to hunt and fish. I don't know the detail of this time. Thanks for your many writings. They are highly valued by me and many others on this site.
Gesch
Oh . I actually wondered if my former client actually was your uncle. I apologize for the delay in my newest account . It will come soon .

I think that in the last decades only very few of us had the opportunity to hunt in India or southeast Asia. If I speak of Malaysia , it is over 20 years ago and was very limited even then. Nowadays the possibilities seem to be zero. Not forget the very strict gun laws in all countries of Asia.

In Asia was another type of big game hunting. I would have liked it a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.