A Seventy Year Dream Come True

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Kawshik Rahman, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    BTW Mr. Rahman ,
    I recognize that pic of F Ahmed Arms :)
    What happened to the William Evans 12 gauge single selective trigger gun they had up for grabs ? I don't see it in the recent pic.

Kawshik Rahman likes this.

2. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Mass produced East European ....... well - gun on one hand, or a hand built English “best” perfectly balanced and choked by the best craftsmen of their era for the art of shooting flying game. Yes, I can see why it is a struggle. But as my dear aunt would say, “there is no accounting for taste.”

An original Westley Richards oak and leather case for 100 dollars. @Kawshik Rahman were I not so happy for you, I think I would cry.

Hoss Delgado and Kawshik Rahman like this.

3. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hoss Delgado
    Captain Mateen owns that 12 bore from the firm , William Evans now. He purchased it in 2018 .

4. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Red Leg
    You are a very good friend , genuinely happy at other peoples success. I received a telephone call from the owner today. He said that the bar pressure is 850 for this gun to be used safely. I am most pleased.
    If all goes well , then it should be mine by the end of November , just in time for the Horel shooting season in December. Perhaps , l will leave my Beretta 12 bore at home this year ( as fine an Italian piece as it is )

Red Leg likes this.

5. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    One soon to be shot off face. Seriously though, a 70 mm 1 1/4 ounce proofed game gun with 1/4 - 3/4 choked tubes would have managed standard velocity buckshot of the day without a problem. A 67 mm 1 1/8 ounce proofed gun -not so much.

Hoss Delgado and Kawshik Rahman like this.

6. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Well I should hope you would bring it! There are souls that exist with a gun like that - gathered together over the decades. (I own a couple of special guns that I intend to inhabit in the coming decades). Those shades are begging you to take them afield again. So as not to disappoint them, a bit of practice with that gun would not be wasted time. It will take a few rounds of skeet or clays to reawaken you old instincts for shooting a SxS.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019

7. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Red Leg
    I firmly agree. The over- under is a science but the side by side is an art. I plan to do a few test shoots with it at BSF's skeet shooting grounds with number 7 cartridges from Game bore. Then , l will take it for horel birds with number 6 cartridges. I have instructed many of my students how to shoot side by side shot-guns over the years. However , l have personally not used one for hunting since 1970. What a magnificent addition .
    With four fire arms now ( this side by side , my Beretta over-under , my .22 Long Rifle Belgian auto loader and my magnum .22 ISSC bolt operation rifle ) , l still have two valid fire arms license slots left without any need to apply for special permission. However , for now l will focus on practicing with my new Westley Richards 12 bore

Red Leg likes this.

8. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Thanks , Red Leg :)
    Mr. Rahman BTW , can this gun safely fire Kynoch Lethal Ball loads ? :) I gather from you , Red Leg and the guys that Buckshot and Slugs are a no no :(

9. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Hoss Delgado
    Kynoch lethal ball cartridges are unfortunately , not made for seven decades or more. But assuming you had them , yes. Kynoch lethal ball cartridges are designed in such a manner that they will generate less pressure or strain even in the tightest of choke muzzles. My father's I Hollis 12 bore side by side shot-gun could shoot Kynoch lethal ball cartridges with exceptional accuracy for forty yards or so. He was not a hunter of deer , but back in those days , you would often encounter a mouse deer or two while shooting birds and father would not pass up on the opportunity to bring one for the family table.
    If had them with me now , l would build up a stock of Kynoch lethal ball cartridges and Game Bore number 6 cartridges for my Westley Richards

10. hammerguy

hammerguy AH Member

Video/Photo:
    100USD!?!
    I travel to India frequently. I believe a side trip is in order....to buy all the oak & leather cases of Bangladesh.
    :cool:

Kawshik Rahman and Red Leg like this.

11. Alistair

Alistair AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    Scotland, Ireland & England
    I expect they were exactly the same type of guns, albeith maybe with more open chokes.

I'm not saying you can't use such loads, or that the gun will absolutely fail (I think proof pressures in the UK are approx 2x working pressure, so it's survived one hell of a bang at least once), I'm merely saying that considering the original design brief, the age and value of the gun, that it might not be entirely wise to do so habitually. English S/S guns are often as light as 6lbs anyway, so your shoulder wouldn't thank you for using anything too heavy.

It's like using Ruger No1 pressure 45-70 loads in an 1800s trapdoor. Sure, you can, and you almost certainly won't die, but would you?

It's just a degree of mechanical sympathy for something that isn't likely to be quite as solid as a modern gun and has had a fairly long life already.

Red Leg and Kawshik Rahman like this.

12. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Hammer Guy
    There are still nine English side by side shot-guns distributed among the five main arms shops. Since , l am an employee of BSF , perhaps you would like me to list down the models still available ?

13. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I certainly hope you keep the gun with its original case! As Red Leg pointed out, that case, in good condition, is worth what you paid for the gun! Congratulations!!!

14. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    WAB
    I certainly would want to make the gun feel complete. On a related subject , you American Gentlemen have pheasant bird in your fine country. May l ask what shot size is normally used for them?

15. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    :A Thumbs Up::E Rofl:

16. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    No. 6 is probably the most popular by quite a margin. Lot’s of folks use 1 1/4 ounce loads, but that is unnecessary. 1 1/8 ounces from a properly choked gun used by someone who can shoot, will hammer any pheasant that ever flew.

17. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Spike T
    Thank you for your support. He is a good hearted young man. He just does not appreciate art.

spike.t likes this.

18. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Red Leg
    Thank you so much. In a gun of this age , the lighter leadings are certainly an added insurance as you advise . Game Bore number 6 has helped me secure plenty of land birds over the years.

19. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Congratulations Mr. Rahman, enjoy your shotgun !

20. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Nyati
    I appreciate your support and kind words