A Seventy Year Dream Come True

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Kawshik Rahman, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Alistair

Alistair AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    Scotland, Ireland & England
    Not an American perspective, but here in the UK, the typical modern pheasant load is 30grams (approx. 1 1/16 oz) of 6 shot.

I use this load in my S/S and O/U until about mid November then switch to 32gram (approx. 1 1/8 oz.) 5s, almost exclusively in my O/U. Seems to work a bit better on the bigger late season birds with slightly thicker plumage, especially as they've usually seen a bit of pressure by this stage and fly better.

For a dedicated high bird load somewhere like Devon, 34 or even 36grams isnt unheard of, often in 5 or even 4 shot sizes. Not an issue for me of course as I both can't afford that kind of shooting and the idea of 8:1 shot/kill ratios on 60yd+ birds doesn't sit that well with me really. More power to those who can pull them down cleanly and reliably though.

In my old 16 bore hammer gun I use 26grams of 5s exclusively. Works well for me out to 35-40yds.

Kawshik Rahman and Red Leg like this.

2. kevin masters

kevin masters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    us mexico alaska south africa
    I am very sorry you lost you'r fathers gun to idiots! I know it will never be replaced. But I am very glad you have found a beautiful firearm
    That you are so happy with. Reading you'r posts makes me wish I could have hunted with you!!!

Kawshik Rahman likes this.

3. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Kevin Masters
    Thank you so much for your heart felt comment. I feel like a fool now , because one of my friends owned an English shot-gun too . He managed to avoid confiscation by hiding it in the water tank of his house and bringing it to Bangladesh . He had killed 73 cheetah cats with that gun in his youth which he still possesses now . I meet him every year whenever we go to shoot cranes and we see each other during BSF events . He is five years younger than l , but clearly he was far more intelligent. He will be the subject of one of my future articles. He even appeared on Bangladesh's news papers ( portrayed in a positive light fortunately ) . If only l had hidden my father's gun inside the water tank of our house.

4. hammerguy

hammerguy AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Oh, yes, please!

5. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hammer guy
    I apologise for the late response. I just checked the records of BSF . The following models are available in the following shops.
    Ahmed Hossain Arms -
    1) 12 bore exposed hammer 76 millimeter chamber shot-gun by William Wellington Greener and fully choked barrels.
    2) 12 bore exposed hammer 65 millimeter chamber shot-gun by Holland and Holland with a quarter choke in the left barrel and a half choke in right barrel.
    3) 12 bore 65 millimeter chamber shot-gun by Joseph Lang ( no hammer ) . Left barrel quarter choke , right barrel half choke.
    Amin Arms -
    1) 12 bore hammerless 76 millimeter chamber " Empire " model shot-gun by William Wellington Greener , with both barrels fully choked.
    2) 12 bore 70 millimeter hammerless shot-gun by James Purdey , left barrel is fully choked and right barrel is half choke.
    3) 12 bore 65 millimeter chamber exposed hammer shot-gun by I Hollis . Left barrel is quarter choke. Right barrel is half choke.
    4) 12 bore 65 millimeter chamber hammerless shot-gun made by William Moore . Both barrels are half choke.
    Gun Max -
    1) 12 bore hammerless 76 millimeter chamber " Empire " model shot-gun by William Wellington Greener , with both barrels fully choked.

Moin Arms -
    1) 12 bore exposed hammer 70 millimeter chamber shot-gun by Westley Richards , both barrels are quarter choke.

If any other shot-guns reach BSF to be distributed back to the shops , l will gladly notify you.

mark-hunter likes this.

6. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    What a list! Fantastic!

7. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    +1

8. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Grab the case, enjoy your prize.
    Now you can make this your heirloom for whoever you can leave it too.
    Don’t leave us too soon we are enjoying your stories.

9. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    CBS Australia
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I find life precious and worth living too.

10. Johnny reb

Johnny reb AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA- buckmasters
    I want to say I enjoy you’re writing very much. Congratulations on the new Westley Richards I hope it treats you well. Now for the most important question and one I haven’t seen asked. Can firearms be exported from Bangladesh.?

11. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Johhny Reb
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Indeed , they can. My colleague at Bangladesh Shooting Federation , Mr. Galib Haider deals with this matter.

12. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Alastair
    I am most apologetic for my late reply. I do not know why l had forgotten or neglected to reply to your kind comment before. I am currently using Game Bore number 6 cartridges as they are imported into Bangladesh. I will also be acquiring Eley Grand Prix number 6 paper cartridges from England very soon to use in my Westley Richards 12 bore shot-gun .
    I use number 4 cartridges in my Beretta 12 bore over-under for hares and occasionally mouse deer ( although AAA cartridge is preferable for killing adult mouse deer ) .

13. Alistair

Alistair AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    Scotland, Ireland & England
    Mr Rahman,

Not a problem at all, as long as the interesting stories continue all is good for me!

Regarding the Gamebore cartidges, I use these as well. They're excellent for my pheasant and partridge shooting needs and in the UK at least not bad value.

I've never used paper cartridges, but the Eley stuff works well in my 16 bore and I used to use their cheap clay loads to good effect when I did that competitively at uni.

I hope it all goes well with the new gun and please keep us informed. Some stories of your successful trips with it would be great to hear.

Regards,
    Alistair.

14. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Alastair
    Indeed. It is disappointing that Eley no longer makes AAA or LG cartridges any more . And worry not. A report with photographs is coming soon .

Ridgewalker and Alistair like this.

15. Gsxrmike

Gsxrmike AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life member, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, USA
    What a gorgeous shotgun! Congratulations on this excellent purchase.

16. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Gsxrmike
    Thank you so much for your kind words.

17. shadowhunterz

shadowhunterz AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Kenya, Zambia, USA, Canada
    Congrats, Dreams do come true.