A Rifle for HER

Also just food for thought, no matter what side of the fence ones sits on I can foresee there being another panic and ammo shortage if Hillary gets elected which for now it looks like that's going to be reality. If and when that happens having an obscure or at least uncommon caliber will make it even more difficult to find ammo. Just advise and free advise at that, sticking with a main stream caliber may save some grief should the worst occur.

In your original post you where thinking about an Encore as a possible rifle for the bride, for a new hunter the Encore is an outstanding choice. I used mine on a PG hunt in SA and it was perfect, rapid follow up shots don't happen in the bush so a quick second shot isn't an issue, but the shorter overall length with a 24" barrel was very helpful. Hopefully things will workout with the wife's hunting and as she becomes more recoil tolerant for under $300 you can buy her a new barrel in a heavy caliber (the 35 Whelen is my favorite), if things don't work out you can buy yourself a new barrel in a heavy caliber and lost none of your initial investment.
DSC_0024.JPG

We are in Merry Land, so finding a "well stocked" gun shop is problematic. For a number of reasons, maybe not even good reasons, I have narrowed the choices down to a few -- not the least being too much info is too much info to make a good choice when you really don't know what you don't know.

To further complicate the matter I have a Gemtech HVT762 suppressor in paperwork jail. Its a heavy can (28 oz's; but its a quick detach so she wont be carrying mounted till we get in the blind). My thought is the suppressor will work like a muzzle break as much as sound suppressing.

Heres what I'm thinking
Rem Model 7
Rem 700
Ruger M77
Ruger No1
Tikka T3

And MAYBE
Merkel KR1
T/C Encore

Cartridges under review
7mm 08
6.5x55
7x57
308 is the gold standard. If she can tolerate the recoil/weight/rifle. I'm also playing with lighter weight bullets/loads.

I like the concept of the Encore/Merkel's ability to swop barrels, so she can grow with the gun.

I'm thinking a relatively short barrel, under 20 inches (where ballistics permit), perhaps as short as 16 inches. Blast wont be a problem with the suppressor mounted.

Any respectable gun shop should have at least a couple of each of those models in stock for her to hold up and try. But don't forget the scope! Gun fit is different once you get the scope mounted up! I suggest you find the best stocked full service shop you can, and get them to mount up a few scopes. Make arrangements to be there at a slower time for them so they can dedicate a guy or two to helping you and mount up different gun/scope combinations for her to try out.

If you and more importantly she, can stand the looks, a Ruger Guide gun or **NOT**PERMITTED** Scout rifle with the short barrel that is already threaded and comes with stock spacers to easily change length of pull, might just be the ticket. They are short but stout guns so not light to carry but that weight controls recoil so I would bet a 308 would be just fine for her, and a 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor would be hardly noticeable in the recoil department.

Try a nice compact light weight scope such as a Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x 36 or the popular and economical Leupold VX3 in 2.5-8x32. There is something about that little Leupold that seems to make it easy to see through... good eye relief or something. A it is a very versatile optical range for most hunting.

I'm of course a big fan of the Winchester M70 but have found that it just does not fit most women. And although it seems like a 308 might be first choice, and it's little brother the 7mm-08 second, I have to put in a plug for my favorite small caliber, the 6.5 Creedmoor. Scientifically modern design with almost no recoil but double the foot pounds of energy of a 243 at 500 yards. Inherently accurate and thus growing in popularity as a hunting cartrige and in the past few months a much larger supply as well as variety of factory ammo... But nothing wrong with the other cartridges mentioned and I do think a Ruger number one in 7x57 would be an outstanding, classy option, if it fits her. Very effective hunting cartridge but more limited in range.

I own at least a dozen 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers. My plan is to give each of my grandchildren one when they become of age. Several years ago I had one (that had been partially sporterized by Hack & Slash gunworks) cut down and fitted with a muzzle break. This "kid's "gun will be available to all of the grandkids when they start hunting at the age of 10 (accompanied by an adult of course.) Factory loads will be used. The Swede can also be safely hand loaded to 2750 -2800 fps with 140 Gr. bullets for larger animals. I've taken several larger hogs in the 250 lb range and lots of Northern White Tails with mine.

I sorta fell in love with this one. We'll see how she likes it.
upload_2016-10-12_21-47-38.png

I picked up a 308 and 7-08 barrel for her. She wanted wood not plastic and that's some nice wood for sure. Ive got a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 enroute. I'm having a Gemtech QD mount installed for a HVT suppressor.

Nice rifle but are you sure it's for her.

Nice rifle but are you sure it's for her.
Hahaha--well, errrr as it turns out the Model 700 I was gonna turn into a Tactical/Hunter isn't gonna get the folding stock any more..... She likes that and I'm gonna get the Encore. Dont'ya just love it when it all works out???

Now that the Encore is yours buy a 35 Whelen barrel for it and hunt everything from Eland to Duiker and never fell under or over gunned while doing it.

Sooooo 3 or was it 4 rifles later Rem Mod 7, Encore, Rem 700, Tikka, we decided on a Savage Lady Hunter in 7mm08. (Oh my what will I do with those extra rifles :whistle::ROFLMAO::eek:)
There were some "issues" with her seeing through the scope. I finally realized the "regular" rifles didnt have a high enough cheek piece. We had some success using the Rem/AAC Model 7 in 300Blkout, by raising the cheekpiece all the way up. I thought I was gonna need some kind of riser, then I found the Lady Hunter. OMG it fit her like a glove.

Im a bit of a rifle snob; but Savage got the Lady Hunter RIGHT. Its NOT a youth gun or a shortened man's rifle; its purpose built for women. The cheek piece is higher and sloped to reduce felt recoil. The grip is even thinner and the gun is light without being too light. 7mm08 seemed like a good balance for anything shes likely to be shooting before we go back to Afrika for Dangerous Game.

To have a scope on it for an unexpected range day, I threw a Redfield 2-7x on it, fully intending to put something better on it. FIRST she likes it so I dont want to try to talk her out of it, until I can show her better stuff and SECOND shes shooting Sub MOA with bargain ammo and a rest--and MOA off the bench!

Im gonna have to seriously think about reloading--her shooting is getting expensive; but I guess I cant explain I fired close to 100 rnds of 470NE to get ready for the Lion hunt....

******shes had a few fail to load fro the mag BECAUSE shes pulling the bolt back far enough to eject but not far enough to catch the next round. Today we practiced pulling the bolt back to it stopped.

I haven't bought a new gun in years, but I do see a lot of new manufactured guns as part of being a hunter education instructor and for current production, Savage is very good. Sounds like she'll do well. In the event you decide to pass on the reloading, there is a good market for once-fired 7-08 brass.

Great choice, that's what I bought for my wife four years ago and she's deadly with it on whitetails.

243 will do the job if the shot is well placed and has minimum recoil. 7x57 has more knock down power and not much more recoil.

Well the perfect set up for hogs is a 308 Win with sub-sonic ammo and a suppressor. Does not matter if in an AR platform or an a regular old stock. Just gets the job done.

30-30,300 Blackout, 7.62x39,7x57,260,light .308 loads? Not an easy situation. I know this because the same goes with my wife.
She’s small and light framed making rifles with ample terminal ballistics too much(also 65 years old) . She loves shooting a 22lr but everything else is too much. Getting her to hunt with a capable round for game presents a dilemma. Maybe I’ll get her a rifle chambered in 6mm Grendel or PPC and pad her chest.

I’m married to her since 1995 and have never asked her permission once. I suppose I should consider myself lucky. Although I have to admit, I’ll announce my intentions with a follow up : and I don’t want to hear any shit from you about it. At that moment I hope she goes along(which she always has). So it is kinda asking her permission , considering I feel the need go through such a motion as a buffer. It also means I know she can hit me in the head with something if I piss her off. Lol. We both have an Italian
heritage, that’s considered normal for some of us.

My new bride has decided she wants to try hunting (actual hunting not just tagging along). We've scheduled a Texas Wild Boar hunt in January. We'll be in a blind together so I'll be able to back her up. She has taken well to shooting my Glocks and did amazing with a G35 in 357SIG at 200m. The only rifles she's fired so far are a 10/22 and a AR. She did fine; but complained the AR was "heavy". We she right it is heavy (at least heavier then it needs to be).

The Ranch where we are hunting no longer allows 223s for hogs, because he had a rash of lost/wounded animals a couple years ago. He will allow 300Blackout but only out to 50m. I have a AR in 300Blk and a AAC/Remington Model 7. I think we'll be fine for the Texas hunt; but Im looking forward to other hunting. So Im looking for options that are "lightweight' and a cartridge for medium game (Hogs to Whitetail). Id like to stay away from semi autos as we may hunt in no semi areas.

Im thinking maybe something like a Ruger No1 or an Encore or a Lever action or maybe one of the "lightweight" bolt guns. Cartridges that come to mind are 243, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, or maybe 7x57. Im seriously open to other options, including pistol cartridges like 44mag, or 454C. I even thought about black powder loads in 45-70. My problem is I dont have anything for her to "try" in those cartridges. My armory jumps from 223 to 308 and bigger.

Thoughts?
Your thinking is good. If she will be joining you in Africa after PG it’s hard to go wrong with the classic 275 Rigby caliber (7x57). My wife can handle it easily and she is quite petite

Get the Mrs. a lovely 7x57mm Mauser and neither of you will regret it. Zastava currently manufactures a very decent one for a fair price. It really is the caliber, which can do it all.
F70BD44E-E71C-4AA0-AC79-A7DC513E6BD3.jpeg
8C7EDEAF-EA8D-4254-82B2-DF22B225D742.jpeg
73F1F9DD-6810-4238-B609-38DD5813ACF5.jpeg
9CFE1A9B-FD24-4F45-87B1-4A33A780D043.jpeg

Folks may not have noticed, but this is a 6 year old thread.

Best regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you