AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada
All, I am not sure how many podcast listeners are on this site, but I believe this is a great listen for anyone in the hunting community. I was never a podcast listener, but @375Fox pointed me to this channel last spring when I was thinking about and eventually booked a buff hunt. Everyone here knows, or should know of Kevin Roberson. If you're new to hunting in Africa like myself, Kevin has a lifetime of African hunting knowledge well documented in his writings. I now own 2 of his books and will order another once I'm finished with my current read - Big Game and Big Game Rifles by John Pondoro Taylor (excellent so far). Well Kevin has been featured a few times on the Big Game Hunting podcast. In some of these episodes, he dives deep into many topics including buffalo hunting, rifle selection, bullet selection, leopard and lion hunting along with a few other topics. I highly suggest everyone to check out all of the Kevin Robertson episodes even if you're a seasoned hunter on the African continent. In this podcast he goes into detail on elephants and their conservation as a whole along with failed methods of the past. This really is a fascinating episode and the best one he has done thus far.

I would love to hear some of the seasoned hunters and outfits opinions on his comments.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/podcast/elephant-conservation-kevin-robertson/

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 8.39.29 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just listened to the Elephant one and have listened to all of his guest talks on the Big Game Hunting Podcast. In fact, while I was purchasing the Perfect Shot 2 mini edition at Safari Press at DSC, Dr. Robertson came by to say hello to the lady operating the booth. I got him to sign the book haha. It would have been cool to have a longer conversation with him, but I think he was trying to get out the door.

The part with the rifke that was in the Museum, the ,458 M70 front stock burst into fire due to all the cull use those intens moments ,but his epiaoees are excellent. On Spotify they also are.

I just listened to the Elephant one and have listened to all of his guest talks on the Big Game Hunting Podcast. In fact, while I was purchasing the Perfect Shot 2 mini edition at Safari Press at DSC, Dr. Robertson came by to say hello to the lady operating the booth. I got him to sign the book haha. It would have been cool to have a longer conversation with him, but I think he was trying to get out the door.
Dr K is always rushing so don’t take it personally! Had him sign a copy of his books for my son when I took over all his .505 ammo before he moved to Texas. He did however take the time to show me his famous .505 which fitted me like a clove! I was sorry that it had already been sold .

These are great for my ride to and from work. He has such a vast swathe of experience and is very detailed and methodical. He's a real pleasure to listen to!

Dr K is always rushing so don’t take it personally! Had him sign a copy of his books for my son when I took over all his .505 ammo before he moved to Texas. He did however take the time to show me his famous .505 which fitted me like a clove! I was sorry that it had already been sold .
I figured that. His 505 stayed in Africa, didn't it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.14 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.15 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.17 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.18 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
I like the perfect shot mini but don’t think the buffalo pics are very good in it. However, the buffalo specific mini edition is outstanding.

All, I am not sure how many podcast listeners are on this site, but I believe this is a great listen for anyone in the hunting community. I was never a podcast listener, but @375Fox pointed me to this channel last spring when I was thinking about and eventually booked a buff hunt. Everyone here knows, or should know of Kevin Roberson. If you're new to hunting in Africa like myself, Kevin has a lifetime of African hunting knowledge well documented in his writings. I now own 2 of his books and will order another once I'm finished with my current read - Big Game and Big Game Rifles by John Pondoro Taylor (excellent so far). Well Kevin has been featured a few times on the Big Game Hunting podcast. In some of these episodes, he dives deep into many topics including buffalo hunting, rifle selection, bullet selection, leopard and lion hunting along with a few other topics. I highly suggest everyone to check out all of the Kevin Robertson episodes even if you're a seasoned hunter on the African continent. In this podcast he goes into detail on elephants and their conservation as a whole along with failed methods of the past. This really is a fascinating episode and the best one he has done thus far.

I would love to hear some of the seasoned hunters and outfits opinions on his comments.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/podcast/elephant-conservation-kevin-robertson/

View attachment 446249
'Read all of his books and point people to do same on here in instances where someone has been misinformed or simply doesn't know. "taking my 375 or 416 to africa using 235gr/350 gr softs on hippo and elephant" et. al.

We witnessed that of which Kevin spoke when we travelled through Chobe National Park in 2013. Then the park wardens were very concerned about the destruction of the habitat by the over population of the elephants, at that time over 100,000 in Chobe alone, and the fear of the future of the park with the upcoming hunting ban that the Botswana government was proposing. It is also a step in the right direction that the Botswana government has reversed it's no hunting decision recently. It's so refreshing to hear Kevin's commentary and expertise. Thanks revturbo9967 for sharing.

One mistake people often make when thinking about habitat is that all the animals eat the same thing; that what looks green and lush and nutritious must be so for all animals. Not so. There was a great show I saw on the antelope of gorongosa park in Mozambique. They took scat samples and ran DNA tests on them to see what plants they were eating. Externally, it would be easy to assume that since they live in the same area, they eat the same food. The fact is that their diet profiles only overlapped slightly. They ate a primarily distinct diet.
I saw this in Kenya with elephant and black rhino habitat. In some areas you can just look at the vegetation and know black rhino can’t make a living there - there is just nothing to browse.

these little nuances of animal life are things that very few armchair animal welfare folks know.

Kevin's appearances on this podcast have all been great. I'm driving to PA tonight for a pheasant hunt in the morning and will be listening to the new installment on the way. I'm sure my wife will be enthralled!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg