A Helpful Table Of Recommendations

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
We frequently have neophyte hunters on African Hunting Forums ... Who often look for the proper calibre to use on certain types of African game , during their safari . Well ... I thought that I might share this table from 1 of my favorite books . It is " Ballistics ln Perspective " written by Mr. Mike LaGrange ( A retired Problem Animal Control Officer , who single handedly culled over 6000 African elephant in Zimbabwe from 1980 - 1990 ) .

What I particularly enjoy about this little 76 page book ... Is that ( When I had 1st purchased it , many years ago ) this book finally gave me a great deal of knowledge about African game animals and the ballistic requirements , which bullets should meet ... In order to cleanly lay low these animals .

The book has a beautiful set of tables towards the end ... Which neatly details the appropriate list of central fire rifle calibres needed to efficiently dispatch every game animal , which Africa has to offer .
Screenshot_20191124-062512_01_01_01.png

Screenshot_20191124-062515_01_01_01.png
Screenshot_20191124-062517_01_01_01.png

Screenshot_20191124-062520_01_01.png
Screenshot_20191124-062524_01_01.png

This book ( 2nd Edition ) is published in 1990 ... So some of the information may ( Admittedly ) be a little dated .

However , for the most part ... I sincerely hope that some one or another find this information to be of some use ( Especially the novice hunter ) . The advice certainly seems sensible .

Very interesting find!
My only question is with the giraffe. I’ve seen giraffe skin and it isn’t “thin”! What I saw had to have been an inch thick. If you shoot them in the neck, spined, near the head any of these should work. A friend shot a cull giraffe using a 458 Lott and Hornady ammo (that may have been the issue) in the heart/lung triangle and it exploded on the skin. His dad backed him up with a single shot from a 9.3x62 to the neck dropping it instantly.

I’ll still just use my 375 H&H on my Africa hunts. I don’t believe I’m ever over gunned.
JMO&E

Just a technicality: the text indicated the bullets diameter but then uses the bore measurement. A 7mm bullet measures .284" which is the groove diameter, .275" is the lands diameter.

I note that the 9.3x64 is recommended as min for thick skinned, while the 9.3 x62 is next category down.
I certainly feel the x64 is a category above the x62, subject to choosing bullets to suit the velocities.
it has the added bonus of a better point blank range than the x62 where this is useful.
bruce.

And then there’s the 9.3x66 or 370 Sako
Kind of an orphan but a very accurate round supposed to boost it up one category in effectiveness

yes that cartridge came out with advertised ballistics nearly the same as the x 64, but I notice they have since backed off the load so it is about 1/2 way between the x62 and x 64.
it is really a cartridge that does not need to exist.
why do that one when a better one already exists?
far better would have been for several scan ammo makers to go straight for the x64 and supply ammo and brass for same.
why there seems to be resistance to this by the trade is beyond belief.
the x 64 gives 375 performance in a 30/06 length action and would seriously usurp the 375.
bruce.

Very interesting find!
My only question is with the giraffe. I’ve seen giraffe skin and it isn’t “thin”! What I saw had to have been an inch thick. If you shoot them in the neck, spined, near the head any of these should work. A friend shot a cull giraffe using a 458 Lott and Hornady ammo (that may have been the issue) in the heart/lung triangle and it exploded on the skin. His dad backed him up with a single shot from a 9.3x62 to the neck dropping it instantly.

I’ll still just use my 375 H&H on my Africa hunts. I don’t believe I’m ever over gunned.
JMO&E
I took a photo of the skin on my giraffe bull
IMG_E4200.JPG

Thanks for sharing this Poton. While anyone may quibble over an entry or two on a table this complete, overall I'd have to agree with the author. For a new and or inexperienced hunter this type of information is invaluable.

Just a technicality: the text indicated the bullets diameter but then uses the bore measurement. A 7mm bullet measures .284" which is the groove diameter, .275" is the lands diameter.
Probably a default bias to .275 Rigby style nomenclature instead of 7mm Mauser would be my guess, although the tabular entry on Part C for .275 Rigby lists .287 while 7X57mm Mauser is listed as .284. But I also noted the .270 Weatherby Magnum is the first load listed in the table below this phraseology on Part B and is listed as .277 with 7X61mm S&H the next entry listed as .284. Similarly, the .270 Winchester is the first tabular entry in Part C listed as .277. So there appears to be some consistency as the data for all such tabular entries is greater than .275, even though the basis for such mathematical values is inconsistent with the dimension measured. Also some cultural influence is reflected IMO in spelling out "five comma three kilojoules" as opposed to five point three kilojoules as an American like myself would use. Not necessarily intentional bias I would add.

Last edited:
Very interesting find!

JMO&E
Why thank you so much for your kind t , Ridge Walker . I actually had no idea ... That the giraffe can be classified , as a thick skinned game animal .
Mr. LaGrange also does dedicate a chapter specifically to the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre . He describes it ... As the most sensible choice for a 1 rifle safari . What I really admire about this author ... Is that he is as big an admirer of the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , as I am .
Screenshot_20191120-093630_01.png

That is a most accurate observation , Ray B . Perhaps an error ... On the author's part ? On another page , he mistakenly labels the .220 Swift ... As a ". 200 Swift " .

I note that the 9.3x64 is recommended as min for thick skinned, while the 9.3 x62 is next category down.
I certainly feel the x64 is a category above the x62, subject to choosing bullets to suit the velocities.
it has the added bonus of a better point blank range than the x62 where this is useful ?
bruce.
I had unfortunately , never had the privilege ... Of having a client bring a 9.3 × 64 mm Brenekke calibre rifle to India for shikar , Bruce . I only have experience with the 9.3 × 62 mm Mauser calibre and the 9.3 × 74 mm Rimmed calibre ( My personal favorite ) . May I ask how a 9.3 × 64 mm Brenekke calibre rifle ... Might compare to a .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre rifle .

And then there’s the 9.3x66 or 370 Sako
Kind of an orphan but a very accurate round supposed to boost it up one category in effectiveness
I have also noticed that the following calibres are missing from this table :
> .416 Remington magnum
&
> .458 Lott

Cool, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing this Poton. While anyone may quibble over an entry or two on a table this complete, overall I'd have to agree with the author. For a new and or inexperienced hunter this type of information is invaluable.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Shootist43 . I often see countless novice hunters join African Hunting Forums ... Specifically to ask for calibre recommendations , when going out on their very 1st African safari . I figured that these tables might , perhaps ... Be of some assistance to them .

Of course ... more experienced gentle men , such as yourself ... Will obviously have a few modifications of the views expressed in this table .

Why thank you so much for your kind t , Ridge Walker . I actually had no idea ... That the giraffe can be classified , as a thick skinned game animal .
Mr. LaGrange also does dedicate a chapter specifically to the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre . He describes it ... As the most sensible choice for a 1 rifle safari . What I really admire about this author ... Is that he is as big an admirer of the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , as I am .
View attachment 349598
More good info! Thanks!

No mention of the .338WM :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saleh Al Nahdi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.