A Double in .458 win?

But why insist on a non-rimmed DR round when there are so many double rifles available with excellent cartridges like 450/400, 450, 470 etc. etc..?
Agree 100% . All my doubles new and old use rimmed cartridges . Lower pressures , no extraction / ejection issues , plenty of ammo available .

Tony Seth-Smith had a second set of barrels in 458 Win Mag made for his Rigby 450.

But why insist on a non-rimmed DR round when there are so many double rifles available with excellent cartridges like 450/400, 450, 470 etc. etc..?
I suppose this is my question. Why?

The reason would be a good deal on a used Double Rifle.

Ones chambered in 458 win will typically sell for a bit less than one in .450 or .470
It is interesting to see the use of different calibers in doubles.

I believe Mike Fell was hunting with a double in 458WM while he was waiting for his new double to be built

Second to have a wider array of factory ammo available.
Unless it is a double with some form of adjustable regulation, you are going to be limited to the ammunition the gun regulates with. This is one of the biggest down sides to a double rifle.

I see no practical problem with a well made double in 458 WM. But I would be VERY picky on the maker and the guns condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddyBrode

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt