9.3x62

I find this cartridge interesting. I've enjoyed reading the e-book "9.3x62 Mauser Journal" and I've done a bit of loading and shooting with mine. I'm considering taking it on a future hunting trip and I'd appreciate you sharing any of your experiences with this cartridge.

Thanks,
Bush Buck
The Leopard draped across my shoulders was taken a 9.3 x 62. It did its work very nicely.

I haven’t done so but curious to see what PPU cases hold after firing
We have these cartridges quite common, and are used for reloading. There are no special complaints. For example:

" I have been using (Serbian) these factory cartridges for more than a year. I am very satisfied, the price-quality ratio is 5 out of 5. They fly at 04,-08 MOA but stable.
And I have already shot the shells themselves 10 times. In principle, this is not a Lapua, but it is very worthy (for its price). The only problem with some brasses (about 20%), after 4-5 shots there is a slight deformation of the bottom, but they will climb into the shelholder in principle. I repeat, the price - quality is 5. My subjective opinion."

I'm just now trying an expansion mandrel at 9.3, here's an example on the defective 30-06 (as on the left). It can be seen that the brass
20230307_023053.jpg
shoulders are slightly lower than the original 9.3x62 (right). Some do fireforming, and some use it like that.

This is one of my favorite calibers of all time it has served me well in Namibia for Eland, Kudu, gemsbok, and funny enough duiker may have worked a little to well on the duiker, I have also used one hunting Nilgai in Texas! Everything I have shot with a 9.3x62 has never ran very far if at all.

Untitled design (21).png
Untitled design (20).png
Untitled design (19).png

Curious if anyone else is actually measuring H2O capacity for once-fired brass.

With Norma brass, I'm coming in at 5 brass average of 74.3
Yessir - I'm using Sako brass currently, which have an ave H2O capacity of 76.2gr.
I trim to 61.8mm if that's of relevance.

I have Norma too but haven't measured them. Figured I'd stick with Sako until they are retired and then do load development with the Normas.

@CM McKenzie
The 35 cal Woodleigh from 225gn to 310gn go well as well.
I have a load that gets the 310s to 2,455fps out of the Whelen that I hope to try on scrub bull in July/ August.
Bob
Hey Bob, those 35 Whelen things are fine for young kids to learn on but they’re not really a suitable cartridge for a man :oops: If you do try to hunt a scrub bull, or even a poddy, I’d suggest you get a good mate with a.243 Winchester to back you up.(y)

cheers mate ;)

This is one of my favorite calibers of all time it has served me well in Namibia for Eland, Kudu, gemsbok, and funny enough duiker may have worked a little to well on the duiker, I have also used one hunting Nilgai in Texas! Everything I have shot with a 9.3x62 has never ran very far if at all.

View attachment 521593View attachment 521594View attachment 521595
@AfricianSniper915
You just described the 35 Whelen as well. What you hit with that stays hit and don't go far if at all either
Bob

My CZ550 is a pry it out of my cold, dead hands rifle. 250gr Accubonds over Varget will smoke anything here in the States. This gun will go to Africa with me one day.View attachment 521619
@jwood1284
I usually use a fire to smoke game. My Whelen just kill stuff. Even the 225gn at 2,900fps ain't going fast enough to make game smoke.
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

Hey Bob, those 35 Whelen things are fine for young kids to learn on but they’re not really a suitable cartridge for a man :oops: If you do try to hunt a scrub bull, or even a poddy, I’d suggest you get a good mate with a.243 Winchester to back you up.(y)

cheers mate ;)
@R eight Me thinks you have been sniffing to much varget agin mate.
Might use the 243 as a walking stick but at my height it would be useless at that too. I think I will just keep using them as tomato stakes.
Bob

@R eight Me thinks you have been sniffing to much varget agin mate.
Might use the 243 as a walking stick but at my height it would be useless at that too. I think I will just keep using them as tomato stakes.
Bob
I'm sorry, but I've heard that if you use R93, tomatoes turn out much tastier

I find this cartridge interesting. I've enjoyed reading the e-book "9.3x62 Mauser Journal" and I've done a bit of loading and shooting with mine. I'm considering taking it on a future hunting trip and I'd appreciate you sharing any of your experiences with this cartridge.

Thanks,
Bush Buck
havent read the whole thread

9.3X62 is IMHO the best bush hunting calibre!!!!

i have one, my daughter has 1, my brother has 1, have had lots of clients hunt with this calibre over the years

cant go wrong

Beautiful animals!
I'd love to hear more about the details. What loads at what ranges? - and how satisfied you were with bullet performance.

Thanks,
Bush Buck

Beautiful animals!
I'd love to hear more about the details. What loads at what ranges? - and how satisfied you were with bullet performance.

Thanks,
Bush Buck
I've shot 250 nolser accubonds and 286 grain Hornady DGX out of the two 9.3 rifles I have used. I shot my nilgai with the 250 grainers at 210 yards and he didn't go 20 yards. I shot the eland at 50 yards with the 286 grain bullet and it ran 30 yards and fell over, my gemsbok was with 286 grain as well at around 250 yards and dropped in its tracks. both loads created huge wound channels.

I love my 9.3X62, currently with my gunsmith having a new recoil pad fitted. I haven't had it all that long and haven't done a huge amount of hunting with it yet but I took a really good boar with it on it's first outing. It is exceptionally accurate, since posting the below thread I have also worked up a load with RL15 and 285 grain Norma Alaska projectiles and again Like the Hornady's it shoots them into one hole at 50 metres no worries.

I have been looking for some A-frames or Woodleighs to load for a big game hunting load in case I decide to take it with me for buffalo or scrub bull one day but I haven't been able to get my hands on any. I have however managed to get my hands on some 286 grain Sako Hammerheads which I have been told from quite a few reliable sources they are a very solid bonded bullet so I will work up a load with those as soon as I get the rifle back from the gunsmith.

Norma Alaska, 2377fps, 3 shots at 50 Metres
1678314858247.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross