Ruger African 9.3X62

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I posted a thread on here a few months ago about a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3X62 I was buying, unfortunately the deal fell through. Since then I have still been looking around for a rifle in this chambering, I have wanted a 9.3X62 for a long time.

I was lucky enough to come across this Ruger African in excellent condition with a really nice stock. I am extremely happy with it and it's a shooter, worked up a load with Hornady 286grn Interlock RP-SP at an average of 2367fps using Nosler brass and RL15. At 50m with a 4 power scope it put 3 out of the 4 rounds through the same hole and to be honest the 4th shot was probably me not the rifle.

Such a great rifle and calibre, rifle is weighing in at 8.75lbs with the scope mounted, extremely soft shooting with plenty of power. I am really impressed with this rifle in this chambering.

I'm going to work up some more loads hopefully with Swift A-frames and/or Woodleighs and probably take it with me on a scrub bull hunt mid next year.

1666333840281.jpeg

1666333902977.jpeg

1666333954272.jpeg

1666333995143.jpeg

1666334026406.jpeg

1666334097708.jpeg

I really like your rifle A_H.
That seems to be the first release of the 9.3x62 which did not have the black frond tip. It looks like someone put a thicker recoil pad on it - which is not a bad idea.
I've never handled an early one but I understand that they had a heavier barrel profile.
If you happen to remove the scope, I would like to know the weight without the scope and rings.

Thanks,
Bush Buck

You will like that rifle, I had one but a shooting buddy convinced me he needed it more than me (I have a couple customs in 9.3x62) He has experienced the same good shooting rifle that you have. I have found the RL-17 and Ramshot Big Game are the two best powders for this round on bullets in the 250-320gr range.

Outstanding and lucky find. Looking forward to some hunt reports with it.

I really like your rifle A_H.
That seems to be the first release of the 9.3x62 which did not have the black frond tip. It looks like someone put a thicker recoil pad on it - which is not a bad idea.
I've never handled an early one but I understand that they had a heavier barrel profile.
If you happen to remove the scope, I would like to know the weight without the scope and rings.

Thanks,
Bush Buck
This serial number was manufactured in 2011, scope and rings is 0.7lbs so call the naked rifle 8-8.1lbs. I have heard some of the later ones have a light barrel profile, not sure why they made that choice but I don't like the sound of it. This rifle scoped is the perfect weight for this chambering in my opinion. Correct the previous owner changed out the thin red recoil pad for a kick eze which I'm definitely not mad at.

Difference is this is not a Lipsey's African. Not suggesting that is a bad thing, just different. Thinner pad, blackened bolt and ebony fore end piece on a Lipsey's.

This serial number was manufactured in 2011, scope and rings is 0.7lbs so call the naked rifle 8-8.1lbs. I have heard some of the later ones have a light barrel profile, not sure why they made that choice but I don't like the sound of it. This rifle scoped is the perfect weight for this chambering in my opinion. Correct the previous owner changed out the thin red recoil pad for a kick eze which I'm definitely not mad at.
Nice rifle!

It looks like it had a spacer added as well. What is the LOP?

Nice looking rifle, and that 286 gr. Interlock with RL-15 is a great recipe.

Mine is the Lipsey's version, but the wood isn't anywhere's as nice as yours. All up mine weighs 8.5 lbs.
My 286 gr. Interlock / RL-15 recipe gets me ~2375 fps and I can shoot that all day. I'm currently working up a 300 gr. A-Frame load for a future hunt.

Someday I'll come across a gunsmith I can trust and will have the factory recoil pad swapped out for a decent one. Until then, it wears a slip-on Limbsaver.

Looks exactly like my .375 Ruger built in 08.
I believe the 9.32x62 was a standard chambering for the African and Alaskan models, alongside the 375 ruger, when they first introduced the Hawkeye. That was before they decided to make them ugly and put that silly muzzle brake on them.

Nice looking rifle, and that 286 gr. Interlock with RL-15 is a great recipe.

Mine is the Lipsey's version, but the wood isn't anywhere's as nice as yours. All up mine weighs 8.5 lbs.
My 286 gr. Interlock / RL-15 recipe gets me ~2375 fps and I can shoot that all day. I'm currently working up a 300 gr. A-Frame load for a future hunt.

Someday I'll come across a gunsmith I can trust and will have the factory recoil pad swapped out for a decent one. Until then, it wears a slip-on Limbsaver.
Definitely keen to get my hands on some 286grn or 300grn A-frames

I posted a thread on here a few months ago about a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3X62 I was buying, unfortunately the deal fell through. Since then I have still been looking around for a rifle in this chambering, I have wanted a 9.3X62 for a long time.

I was lucky enough to come across this Ruger African in excellent condition with a really nice stock. I am extremely happy with it and it's a shooter, worked up a load with Hornady 286grn Interlock RP-SP at an average of 2367fps using Nosler brass and RL15. At 50m with a 4 power scope it put 3 out of the 4 rounds through the same hole and to be honest the 4th shot was probably me not the rifle.

Such a great rifle and calibre, rifle is weighing in at 8.75lbs with the scope mounted, extremely soft shooting with plenty of power. I am really impressed with this rifle in this chambering.

I'm going to work up some more loads hopefully with Swift A-frames and/or Woodleighs and probably take it with me on a scrub bull hunt mid next year.

View attachment 495590
View attachment 495593
View attachment 495594
View attachment 495596
View attachment 495598
View attachment 495599
@Aussie_Hunter
Beautiful rifle, I know it's not a Rigby but with the money you saved that's a few more hunts.
Where are you going after scrubbers and who with.
I'm going up next July/August to the Cohen area with Scott Mitchell Safaris. He gave me a godfather deal. You know the one you just can't refuse.
I'm taking the Whelen with 310 Woodleigh RNs at 2,360fps and 225gr Woodleigh RN at 2,900 for pigs. Plus I will throw in the shotty with 3" magnum slugs. The other mate is taking his 444 marlin and Peter can't make up his mind between his 9.3x62 and 404J so he will probably take both.
If @CBH Australia is still up for it he will take his 375H&H.
Bob

@Aussie_Hunter
Beautiful rifle, I know it's not a Rigby but with the money you saved that's a few more hunts.
Where are you going after scrubbers and who with.
I'm going up next July/August to the Cohen area with Scott Mitchell Safaris. He gave me a godfather deal. You know the one you just can't refuse.
I'm taking the Whelen with 310 Woodleigh RNs at 2,360fps and 225gr Woodleigh RN at 2,900 for pigs. Plus I will throw in the shotty with 3" magnum slugs. The other mate is taking his 444 marlin and Peter can't make up his mind between his 9.3x62 and 404J so he will probably take both.
If @CBH Australia is still up for it he will take his 375H&H.
Bob
I'm going back to NT this time specifically for scrubbers mid next year but I won't say no to a 110 point buffalo bull if one happens to walk out in front of me. I'll probably take both the 450 and the 9.3 with me but not 100% sure yet, may even take my 458 Lott with me instead. First world problems I have too many rifles in the safe to choose from.

T
Very nice find. Enjoy!

View attachment 495590
View attachment 495593
View attachment 495594
View attachment 495596
View attachment 495598
View attachment 495599
Beautiful, you’re going to enjoy that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg