9.3 X 62 or .416 Rem mag for buffalo

1. Neither. They're both second bests.
2. This thread should be moved to the Up To .375 sub forum as it mainly champions 9.3 which is .366.

I do love the 9.3x62 though. Loaded with a good 286gr bullet it is lethal on Buffalo, I’ve taken a few with it.

I would swap scope though if you decide on the 9.3, mount the Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it for close quarters work.

Between the two calibres which you have mentioned , l would personally opt for the 9.3 millimeter mauser in your case , because as you say , you cannot handle the 400 grain bullets in your .416 Remington magnum.
Speaking from personal experience , many of my continental clients used to use a 9.3 millimeter mauser bolt operation rifle to secure Gaurs . A good 286 grain soft nose bullet fired from the side , which pierced both the lungs of a Gaur and opened up nicely inside them , would guarantee a dead Gaur. A beast hit in such a manner would go eighty to ninety yards , blowing blood from it's nose and mouth , before dropping dead .
Now , a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge was rather a little bit on the light side to stop a charging Gaur above 1800 pounds . However , you are a client and you do not need to worry about stopping charges . Instead , you should focus on placing your first bullet in a vital region . If you can do that with a 9.3 millimeter mauser , then l can guarantee a successfully secured buffalo .
I think that you will be fine with a 9.3 millimeter mauser . It is better to shoot properly with a comparitively smaller bore , than to use a larger bore which you have trouble using comfortably .
The .416 cartridge is superior in every respect, but it kicks like a beast in anything but a fairly heavy rifle. The 9.3 on tbe other hand, has accounted for 1000s of buffsloes and recoil is significantly less in rifles of equal weights . That said , most 9.3s are quite light , so felt recoil with a full power load may be as severe as with a .416 in a magnum weight rifle.
The best advice I can give is to try a a couple of rifles before deciding. .
You may also want to consider a .375 , which sits between the 2 and/or to invest in a muzzle brake , at least for range use.

I do love the 9.3x62 though. Loaded with a good 286gr bullet it is lethal on Buffalo, I’ve taken a few with it.

I would swap scope though if you decide on the 9.3, mount the Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it for close quarters work.
I agree with you.

.416 Remington Magnum and 400Gr Barnes TSX.

Hi, I need advice please. I can shoot a 9.3 x 62 without any problem (no problem with the recoil up to 286 grain bullets)) like wise I am comfortable with a .416 Rem mag up to 300 grain bullets (Peregrine VRG3). However I cannot handle the recoil of the400 grain bullets in the .416 Rem mag.

What would your advice be, please:
  • To hunt buffalo which rifle (and bullet there fore) would be the best.
  • The sectional density of a 286 grain 9.3 bullet is .305 and that of a 300 grain .416 bullet is .245 will the 9.3 necessarily penetrate better than the .416 in buffalo ?
  • Besides using these rifles for buffalo, which one rifle with the applicable bullet weight could also be used to hunt other game.?(Giraffe, eland, impala, warthog, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest and oryx)
I would sincerely appreciate advice from the forum.
Thank you in advance.
AJS
Sectional density is the least impactful parameter to a bullets performance. Nose profile is key to straight line penetration. Michael McCurry aka "Mad Scientist Doc McCurry", Sam Rose and myself have tested many kinds of projectiles. Large flat nose bullets have been proven to be the best combination for deep straight line penetration. Use a flat nose solid projectile that has between 60-67% meplat diameter and you will be good to go.

EJ

Last edited:
Hi EJ

I use 286 gr VRG 3 Peregrine bullets in my 9.3 X 62 which is a flat nose nose bullet.
1672902895705.png

Thank you for your post.
Regards
AJS

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scrumbag
With the 286 gr VRG 3 bullets with 52 gr of S335 I get 2226 feet per second and a good grouping at 100 m on the range shooting off the bench wit ha support in the front and at the back.
Regards
Adriaan (AJS)

Thanks Adrian! I have convinced myself that the slightly lighter 250gr bullet will be going faster and therefore need less lead for driven hunting but that is possibly just me.

Good to know they shoot.

Scrummy

I'm personally looking at buying Ruger M77 African in .375 Ruger and toying with it. As I plan, further in my life. To hunt Alaska and Africa. From what I'm told, is that the .375 H&H is like the .30-06 of dangerous African game cartridges as far as popularity. The .375 Ruger is supposed to match it in ballistics but fit in a standard length action.

I've also looked around, and there are some reduced loads you can do that will make it a very adequate medium game rifle for large deer, elk, and hog without taking as much abuse to your shoulder.

You might want to take a look at the .375 Ruger too... If you have not already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!