9.3 x 62 and the 320 grain Weldcore

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I emailed Woodleigh for some reloading data on the .366 caliber 320 grain Weldcore bullet in the 9.3 x 62.
They recommend Vihtavuori N550 from 55.5-63 grains for a velocity at the top end of 2,330 fps. I am surprised that you can achieve this velocity with a 320 grain bullet in the 9.3 x 62. Should hit like "The Hammer of Thor"!

I emailed Woodleigh for some reloading data on the .366 caliber 320 grain Weldcore bullet in the 9.3 x 62.
They recommend Vihtavuori N550 from 55.5-63 grains for a velocity at the top end of 2,330 fps. I am surprised that you can achieve this velocity with a 320 grain bullet in the 9.3 x 62. Should hit like "The Hammer of Thor"!
This is the largest velocity listed in the Woodleigh manual for the 320gr bullet, however it is only listed under the one bullet weight. the N-140 is listed in all bullet weights. The latest Woodleigh reloading manual is available at tradeexcanada.com for around $45.00.

Anyone have their manual with a load for the 9.3 Hydro, particularly for IMR 4895. That would be for the 9.3x62.

What is with the little green ball on the end of that bullet, doesn't look like a Hydro with that?

Anyone have their manual with a load for the 9.3 Hydro, particularly for IMR 4895. That would be for the 9.3x62.

What is with the little green ball on the end of that bullet, doesn't look like a Hydro with that?
@Atm DI
The little green cap is to aid in feeding and ballistics.
Bob

@Tam Di
I hope this helps
According to Woodleigh they develop similar pressure to conventional soft nose bullets, but in keeping with safe practice they advise reducing powder charge by 2 grains and work up.
Bob

20210429_134814.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I can look that up for you later today as I’ve just received mine.

however I am bemused and disappointed to discover that (uniquely to this loading manual) no information is given on COAL for 9.3 x 62 hydros - the very bit of information I was seeking, and without which I can make no further progress

Attached is the half page given to 9.3 x 62 Hydro 386 grain

Hydro reloading powders.jpg

PS any measurements for COAL would be gratefully received

I know the case length - it is given as 2.441 inches and a trim length of 2.431

Length of bullet is also provided

Why oh why can't they provide an over all cartridge length for any of their bullets????

With the FMJs they say 'seat to the canular' - that advise not much use for the hydo which has a series of driving bands

Advise I got was

The usual seating position with Hydro solids is for the case mouth to be in the front groove, that should give you standard factory COL, or close to

Looked scarily deep to me

I'd be very interested to learn what others on here have done??

hydro9.jpg

Advise I got was

The usual seating position with Hydro solids is for the case mouth to be in the front groove, that should give you standard factory COL, or close to

View attachment 399400

I agree, where does the powder go?!

Attached is the half page given to 9.3 x 62 Hydro 386 grain

View attachment 399394

PS any measurements for COAL would be gratefully received

I know the case length - it is given as 2.441 inches and a trim length of 2.431

Length of bullet is also provided

Why oh why can't they provide an over all cartridge length for any of their bullets????

With the FMJs they say 'seat to the canular' - that advise not much use for the hydo which has a series of driving bands
they don't supply coal because they do not know your mag length or how far it is to the origin of your rifling.
this is your job to establish these things.
from there you work out your coal, recommended about 0.030" jump if mag length allows, as a starting point.
then start with reduced powder charges and work up to a safe max, which may or may not bet the most accurate load.
bruce.

Advise I got was

View attachment 399400
Which groove?!?!

That was a question in my mind too

As for measuring to the lands - that didn't help

I will have a jump of approx 0.5cm as the throat of my 9.3 is cut so deep

Limiting factor would be the length of the mag well

I'm not used to having to make it up as I go along

Every other calibre/bullet that I reload for has a COL

it's pretty easy to figure out.

first, close the bolt on an empty chamber. run a .25" dowel from the crown to the bolt face. mark the spot on the dowel by inscribing a circle at the crown

open the bolt, drop in the bullet you are working with, then ***gently*** insert the dowel until you feel the bullet's meplat. inscribe another circle on the same dowel.

subtract the the shorter measurement from the longer, then subtract .03" from that, and that's your COAL.

IIRC, this is documented in the Woodleigh manual, or maybe when I reached out, those were the instructions I got from Geoff.

Would be nice if you could use Hornady's COAL tool (I have one) but they don't have a 9.3 disk. you could make one from a 338 disk if you had it and a drill press.

late edit: use a fine engineering pencil to inscribe the circles, reason being that you'll want to measure to the meplat a few times, maybe 5 or 10, then average that; so you'll want to erase the older circles

also, don't waste much time chasing 2300 fps MV. You won't need it with that bullet.

That was a question in my mind too

As for measuring to the lands - that didn't help

I will have a jump of approx 0.5cm as the throat of my 9.3 is cut so deep

Limiting factor would be the length of the mag well

I'm not used to having to make it up as I go along

Every other calibre/bullet that I reload for has a COL
you just answered the question
you have to run with a fair bit of jump, so you go by the mag length as a max.
working these things out has always been std reloading practice, even when a coal is given in the data.
then you go to working up a powder charge for your rifle.
trying to avoid this procedure is bad practice.
bruce.

the 9.3 x 62 and x64 both have a strong point, which is that they can use a 30/06 length action.
this however is a double edged sword, as max coal must fit in that length mag.
the longer the bullet, the more it encroaches on powder space.
even the 286 gn barnes x is really too long to get best ballistic potential from these 2 rounds.
the ideal balance point for these rounds to be their most powerful is 286 gn lead cored bullets.
standard bonded versions of this can be quite effective, but the 286 swift is clearly a cut above and in a class of its own.
another factor to consider with longer bullets is a reduction in stability when the bullet has the increased drag of penetrating flesh, and worse bone.
probably if you want a heavier bullet than a good 286 gn you really would be better off with a bigger gun.
if you want to go heavier than the 286 gn swift, their 300 gn is still short enough to hold good charges.
however, the extra weight also reduces velocity, which damages trajectory potential.
going lighter offers the 250 gn barnes x which might offer better trajecrory than 286, and still retain good penetration.
use of full solids in 9.3 mm is really taking the calibre into a zone where bigger calibres are streets ahead.
bruce.

Bruce makes some good points. You could try something like the 320gr Oryx. It nominally expands but it is tough, heavy and not going quickly ...

Bruce makes some good points. You could try something like the 320gr Oryx. It nominally expands but it is tough, heavy and not going quickly ...
the Oryx is a 325 gr.

I can look that up for you later today as I’ve just received mine.

however I am bemused and disappointed to discover that (uniquely to this loading manual) no information is given on COAL for 9.3 x 62 hydros - the very bit of information I was seeking, and without which I can make no further progress
Hi there bowjijohn. The Hydro solid has a bore riding nose. I've been seating them to listed max over all length. As long as they fit in the magazine box with no binding you're good to go. I don't know what it is about the Hydro solids but they SHOOT! My 9.3X62 and my .375 H&H loves them.

Thanks everyone who has contributed specific information to this thread and in answer to my question.

My confusion with the plastic point is that it is pretty tough, and I don't see it disintegrating when it first hits the animal (maybe if it hit a lot of bone). And it seems that it would eliminated the effectiveness of the cup front, which is the main feature of this bullet. Still, it will all probably drill a pretty straight hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg