Media
Hunting reports
Africa
A few more......

www.ableammo.com

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

www.natchezss.com

www.cheaperthandirt.com

Just a word of caution: My friend bought some stuff on line that wouldn't chamber in his 8mm M48; the stuff had a rim on it and I thought that they put some .303 British in a 8mm box by mistake.........turns out that there is an 8mm "flanged" (rimmed) cartridge out there as well......I never knew about it until last year!!! (Learn something new every day).....he couldn't return it, so now he is stuck with it!

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Spike
Maybe I've had harder hunting or bad PH's because I've had to take very long shots on all my PG safaris. 200-300 yards was the norm. You have to have a lot of gun if you hunt all day and then only a glimpse of your quarry presents itself at long range. I am sure there are places where you can get closer shots but for a newcomer I would not assume that where they wind up on their first safari will be such a place.
Practice, read books like the perfect shot, and go up a bit on the gun your taking on safari.
Regards,
Philip

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
phillip as i said it depends on the different countries as to shot distances, and in namibia and certain places in SA you will have longer shots due to the type of vegetation or lack of it . in zambia especially up in banguelu or on the kafue flats , and some of the big dambos you probably will have longer shots due to the open type terrain. however for the rest of the mopane and miombo woodlands its usually bush, grass and trees of varying thickness depending on time of the year, and shots are over shorter distances. i would say a lot of first timers will hunt on a place in SA where the majority of shots probably wont be long. the .300win is a great plainsgame round especially for longer distances , but to say that the others are only good for using in a blind/close shots etc is not true. the .300 win also boots a bit ,so for some people its not the correct choice and the 8mm, 30-06,.275,.308 etc will be. cheers mike

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
A few more......

www.ableammo.com

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

www.natchezss.com

www.cheaperthandirt.com

Just a word of caution: My friend bought some stuff on line that wouldn't chamber in his 8mm M48; the stuff had a rim on it and I thought that they put some .303 British in a 8mm box by mistake.........turns out that there is an 8mm "flanged" (rimmed) cartridge out there as well......I never knew about it until last year!!! (Learn something new every day).....he couldn't return it, so now he is stuck with it!
The cartridges your friend received are more common in Europe where single shots, drillings and other combination guns are a strong part of the hunting culture.
That box of 8x57R is actually a sort of hard to find item in much of the USA.
Your friend may be able to sell it to the right person for more than he paid.
Or, use it to trade at a gun show for a fine sheath knife or whatever.

Zack Young

AH member
Reaction score
Another question. anyone know where I can find a decent rifle(preferably double barrel) for DG that wont break my bank?

benchracer

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Another question. anyone know where I can find a decent rifle(preferably double barrel) for DG that wont break my bank?
There is no such thing as a double rifle for DG that won't break the bank. A decent one will start well north of $10,ooo and go up from there.

A working man's DG rifle will most commonly be in the form of a bolt action, such as a Winchester Model 70, Ruger 77, or CZ 550. Single shot Ruger #1's can also be had in DG appropriate chamberings. Any of these will typically cost between $1000 and $2500, depending on features and chambering, without optics.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings
Sugar4646 wrote on Warpig602's profile.
Hey boss wanted to inquire about the .308 rifle you have for sell can you send me payment information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.