7x57 for big game

8 x 68,

Ibet that with a sub moa 22 with a top notch scope and silencer on it you could shoot 5 bullets through the drinking hole of a soda can.

I bet that with a 223 that shoots an equally tight group you can do the same.

As you might also be able to perform the same surgery with a 7x57 as well.

Where is it that you think you would fall off the cliff? What round & caliber would you start shooting trash can lids?

Oh! No bench rest or sand bags on anything. Any position you want. You can use a bipod.
Sorry trying to follow your logic. Not sure what your getting at.

Ok,

At what point does your marksmanship fall off?

I shoot them out of my CZ 550 with H4350. Sub MOA and kicks the crap out of whitetails and hogs. Recovered one last year with a perfect mushroom that weighed 146 gr, not too shabby. It's all I use for the 7x57.
View attachment 250188
In my ZKK600 in 7 x 57 I am using RWS with ID Classic 10,5g ( 162gr ). A great bullet.

In open areas where I hunt I would go with the 140gr bullets, heavier cover either the 160gr or 175gr range of bullets. I have several 7x57's so each likes it's own load. Where I hunt it's mostly whitetail & black bear. Once in a while you get a lost moose or elk.

Ok,

At what point does your marksmanship fall off?
Gotcha! Wish I could use a suppressor (correct terminology LOL) as we are governed by his eminence Sir Buffoon Head currently, and apparently I have no identity as we are all "Peoplekinds" according to, cough, "him", but I digress. Now back to our regularly scheduled foruming

Gotcha! Wish I could use a suppressor (correct terminology LOL) as we are governed by his eminence Sir Buffoon Head currently, and apparently I have no identity as we are all "Peoplekinds" according to, cough, "him", but I digress. Now back to our regularly scheduled foruming

My sympathies on that. He seems like he's mildly retarded, with the charm of Matthew McConaughey, minus McConaughey's warmth.

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately the property that we were going to hunt buff on has been sold so it's fallen through. Pretty bummed as it was looking really promising, will just have to go back to nz as our back up option.

Certainly I've had good luck with the 7x57 nosler partitions made (but really hard to find) by Sellier & Bellot. I think they were 175gr? They work excellent on Kudu, Bear, and other similar sized animals. One critique is they do drop like mortars so they are no wonder-ammo for flat shooting.

Going forward, I'm going to try the heaviest Barnes TTSX alternative so I have a longer, flatter shot in 7x57. (I *think* 140gr 0r 150gr is as big as Barnes offers?)

A 175gr swift a-frame or nosler partition with 80% weight retention bragging rights is the same or less than a 140gr-150gr barnes TTSX with 100% retention, yet the flatter trajectory has something to offer. I'm ready to switch, but haven't yet.

8x68 ,

It' a shame that the grand days of elephant hunting in africa have been over for a long time now, but it went to hell because of commercial shooters mowing down herds, and they did so for a very long time.

I don't know just how many guys there ever was shooting elephants wholesale, but it had be a whole bunch and the ,7mm was just one of the calibers used. Lot's of 8 mm used as well.

The beauty of the 7x57 is that it's the "un-magnum" and is tapered so nicely that it slides in and out of a well tuned mauser action that if you didn't know better you might not believe that you actually chambered or ejected anything.

If someone chooses to ackley improve the case there are definately speed and foot pound improvements to be had, but when you think about it WHY bother?

Hi gentlemen.
7 x 57 is a timeless caliber.
Is popular tooday and was popular over 100 years ago.
This legendary caliber is suitable for every game.

I've bought 2 recently, though one is the Ruger African in .275 Rigby and the other is a Ruger #1

Certainly I've had good luck with the 7x57 nosler partitions made (but really hard to find) by Sellier & Bellot. I think they were 175gr? They work excellent on Kudu, Bear, and other similar sized animals. One critique is they do drop like mortars so they are no wonder-ammo for flat shooting.

Going forward, I'm going to try the heaviest Barnes TTSX alternative so I have a longer, flatter shot in 7x57. (I *think* 140gr 0r 150gr is as big as Barnes offers?)

A 175gr swift a-frame or nosler partition with 80% weight retention bragging rights is the same or less than a 140gr-150gr barnes TTSX with 100% retention, yet the flatter trajectory has something to offer. I'm ready to switch, but haven't yet.

Nosler 175 gr BC is .519, SD is .310
Barnes 140 TTSX BC is .412, SD is .248

At only about 100-125 fps faster at the muzzle for the latter, your ballistics aren't going to be any better, and penetration will probably not be as good.

If you're going to switch to a lighter bullet, I think Scirocco would be a better choice than TTSX. And for that matter, a 150 gr NP has a higher BC, SD, and another 150 fps faster than 140 TTSX.

Barnes 7mm goes up to 175 in a tsx, 150 in ttsx.

I spoke with them specifically about the 7x57 and because of barnes need for higher velocities and the 7x57 lower velocities they recommended 150gn ttsx not the 140gn as it requires higher velocity to open.

For tsx they recommended 160gn over lighter or heavier.

100% agree. I might throw in the Woodleigh 160 & 175 gr series of bullets as well. As many know Mr. Bell dispatched a multitude of pachyderms with the 7x57.
IMO the A-Frame has left the partition behind. I used to use the partition extensively and with success. However, I found that separation of the front core was more the rule than the exception, resulting in very low retained weight. The A-Frame has solved this problem with bonding, resulting in deeper penetration, more reliable expansion, and very high retained weight.

IMO the A-Frame has left the partition behind. I used to use the partition extensively and with success. However, I found that separation of the front core was more the rule than the exception, resulting in very low retained weight. The A-Frame has solved this problem with bonding, resulting in deeper penetration, more reliable expansion, and very high retained weight.

Everyone that shoots 7x57 should stickie this post and remember it often. I've shot 7x57 "A LOT" as its my go-to solution for about everything. Elk, Deer, Bear, Kudu, Impala, Duiker, Bushbuck, Warthog, Zebra, Hyena, etc,etc. All have been with Nosler Partition 175s at ranges from 50-250 yards.

ABSOLUTELY the Nosler Partition is a good bullet and it works admirably. ABSOLUTELY jacket separation occurs more often than not. I too have observed that the Swift A-Frame is way better at nice, controlled expansion and that classic mushroom.

Knowing what I know now, once my factory loaded 7x57 Nosler Partitions are all consumed, I will be reloading them using Swift A-Frames or Barnes TTSX as in this caliber, at these velocities, in this cartridge, the Partition is no longer the absolute best solution that can be found.

Everyone that shoots 7x57 should stickie this post and remember it often. I've shot 7x57 "A LOT" as its my go-to solution for about everything. Elk, Deer, Bear, Kudu, Impala, Duiker, Bushbuck, Warthog, Zebra, Hyena, etc,etc. All have been with Nosler Partition 175s at ranges from 50-250 yards.

ABSOLUTELY the Nosler Partition is a good bullet and it works admirably. ABSOLUTELY jacket separation occurs more often than not. I too have observed that the Swift A-Frame is way better at nice, controlled expansion and that classic mushroom.

Knowing what I know now, once my factory loaded 7x57 Nosler Partitions are all consumed, I will be reloading them using Swift A-Frames or Barnes TTSX as in this caliber, at these velocities, in this cartridge, the Partition is no longer the absolute best solution that can be found.
I've been shooting the 7x57 extensively since I bought my first one in what must have been about 1983 (crap, I'm old!). I have no idea how many game animals I have killed with this caliber, but it is in the hundreds. I have used just about every bullet you can throw out of one. I have narrowed it down to 3. 175 gr Swift A-Frame, 160 gr Swift A-Frame, 145 gr Speer BTSP. I use the Speer for smaller thin skinned critters, it is not appropriate for larger plains game. I have found an engineering company willing to manufacture 175 gr homogenous solids for me. I am toying with the idea. I am a little hesitant as I am afraid I may do something I shouldn't if I load them up!

I've been shooting the 7x57 extensively since I bought my first one in what must have been about 1983 (crap, I'm old!). I have no idea how many game animals I have killed with this caliber, but it is in the hundreds. I have used just about every bullet you can throw out of one. I have narrowed it down to 3. 175 gr Swift A-Frame, 160 gr Swift A-Frame, 145 gr Speer BTSP. I use the Speer for smaller thin skinned critters, it is not appropriate for larger plains game. I have found an engineering company willing to manufacture 175 gr homogenous solids for me. I am toying with the idea. I am a little hesitant as I am afraid I may do something I shouldn't if I load them up!

Woodleigh has a hyrostatic solid in 7mm that would serve that intention admirably.

H7mm 7mm 140 20 .284" 1.170

Reactions: WAB

what kind of velocity and range are you getting out of the A-Frames in your 7x57? My Swift book shows a top end of about 2300 fps for the 175s. I've never used A-Frames, but it sure seems like from what I read, impact velocity needs to be at least 1800 fps, and preferably 2000 fps.

I called Swift specifically about 7x57 and 6.5x55 - their data is for the older actions that might have seen service in Cuba in the late 19th century or in the Winter War in the 1940s.

what kind of velocity and range are you getting out of the A-Frames in your 7x57? My Swift book shows a top end of about 2300 fps for the 175s. I've never used A-Frames, but it sure seems like from what I read, impact velocity needs to be at least 1800 fps, and preferably 2000 fps.

I called Swift specifically about 7x57 and 6.5x55 - their data is for the older actions that might have seen service in Cuba in the late 19th century or in the Winter War in the 1940s.

About 2350. I can get 2400 but accuracy suffers. I have used this load out to 200 yards with fantastic effect. If I am hunting terrain where the distances will stretch out further (red stag in Ireland was one such hunt), I drop to the 160 gr load for the very reason you point out. Bullet performance out to 200 has been fantastic with the 175 gr. bullet.

Yes. My .275 Rigby shoots both the 156 gr and 170 gr oryx sub-MOA (Loaded by Lance Hendershot in their Extreme line). The two groups are separated by about 1.5-2 inches vertically. Thus far, I have only used the 170 on game (whitetail). Very dead deer and the bullet may still be going.
id be interested to know the coal of the 170g load Red, as I have a box of the 170g Orax and curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg