JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
G'day all,

I'm interested to know of some suggestions people have for 7x57 projectiles that can handle bigger thick skinned game. Not suggesting it as a great DG gun but I am interested in what it's capable of.

I was thinking rhino shank 170gn but the feedback I've received suggests they're reliable expanding only down to 2000fps. Maybe the woodleigh 140gn hydro? Any other heavy for calibre suggestions though?

Cheers,

EZRider

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
170 won’t stabilize in mine so I use a 150 gr tsx @ 2450 fps.
Would shoot Wildebeest with it if I was sure of the shot.
Kudu is no problem.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
My son took a zebra on a frontal quartering shot at about 125 yards. I loaded 140gr North Fork Bonded Cores. Zebra was hit just to the inside part of his left shoulder with bullet coming to rest under skin behind right shoulder. Blood vessels at top of heart completely severed and the heart would later just roll out of the animal. Needless to say the stallion did not go far. He also took a nice Nyala on that trip with the same rifle and great results again.

Clodo Ferreira

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi JP,

I use the 7x57 since 1972. I have hunted with it for big Red Deer and Wild boar.
To me, there are no better big game bullets for the 7 mm Mauser than the 160 and 175 Nosler Partition ones. Period. And not only for this cartridge...
You can load them, easily, in a good 7x57 rifle, for a muzzle velocity of 2700 and 2600 f/s respectively.
The Nosler Partition is, in my experience, one of the few (the best to me) bullet that combines unique expansion and penetration properties: They expand at VERY low velocities and, also, penetrate at VERY high velocities breaking bones and, most often than not, exit, leaving a good exit hole for, eventually, track the animal.

Good luck!

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Swift A-Frame.........160 grain

upload_2018-9-18_14-19-58.png

upload_2018-9-18_14-21-30.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
One of my 7x57's really like the 160gr Woodleigh weldcore at 2700fps and that is a bullet that I would be confortable using against anything the 7x57 is capable of taking ethically.

Russ-F

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (UK); Scottish Gamekeepers Association; English XX (Bisley); Sportsman’s Association; BASC.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Using just the starting load we used 175 grain Woodleigh PPSNs to excellent effect on big buffalo, scrub bulls, boars, etc. Absolutely devastating - and I’m talking chest shots on all of those.
Out of a 7x57?

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
The oldtimers had it worked out, heavy for calibre projectiles travelling at moderate velocity = penetration.
Bell used the 173gr 7mm for a reason, 318 WR used a 250gr projectile, 333 Jeffery used a 300gr all at a similar velocity of 230o ish fps.
Of the projectiles listed for the 7x57 I would use the 160 or 175gr a-frame, or the 160 or 175gr Woodleigh PP.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Jumping on the bandwagon here... but I wouldnt hesitate to use a 7x57/7mm Mauser/.275 Rigby on big game up to elk/stag/kudu sized.. If the shot were right and it were loaded with the right bullets, I'd use it on tougher animals like wildebeest or zebra as well...

Im taking my 7x57 on a hog hunt here in a couple of weeks where there have been some 300+ pounders roaming around.. I dont anticipate the 7x57 having any problem dropping porky at any distance I can see him at (longest shot where I am going likely wont be more than 150 yards)..

Mine is loaded up with barnes 160gr tsx.. at about 2450 fps..

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
The oldtimers had it worked out, heavy for calibre projectiles travelling at moderate velocity = penetration.
Bell used the 173gr 7mm for a reason, 318 WR used a 250gr projectile, 333 Jeffery used a 300gr all at a similar velocity of 230o ish fps.
Of the projectiles listed for the 7x57 I would use the 160 or 175gr a-frame, or the 160 or 175gr Woodleigh PP.
It's interesting how things change, I've noticed a trend to go as light and as fast as you can which means you can shoot out as far as possible.

As you say I reckon the old timers had it right.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Anyone use the Oryx 156 gr in their 7x57?

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Yes. My .275 Rigby shoots both the 156 gr and 170 gr oryx sub-MOA (Loaded by Lance Hendershot in their Extreme line). The two groups are separated by about 1.5-2 inches vertically. Thus far, I have only used the 170 on game (whitetail). Very dead deer and the bullet may still be going.

EZRider

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
That's what i currently have ordered to use for deer, figure they might not be best for buffalo sized game though.

Some may use a .308 on African buffalo so I suppose the 7x57 would work...
At the cost to life, limb and bank account I wouldn’t.

Sand Rat

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Mississippi, Kansas, Botswana, Eastern Cape
I shoot them out of my CZ 550 with H4350. Sub MOA and kicks the crap out of whitetails and hogs. Recovered one last year with a perfect mushroom that weighed 146 gr, not too shabby. It's all I use for the 7x57.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceRe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.