roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
I am about to start working loads for an upcoming plains game (up to Sable) hunt and wanted to see if anyone thinks there is a practical difference between 160 grain North Fork SS or 170 Grain Norma Oryx. All shots under 200 Yards.

NF all the way. But the catch is wich one shoots better in your rifle. There is nothing wrong with the Oryx at modest velocities.

If both shoot MOA or 1.5 MOA I’d go Northfork. If the oryx at say 2450-2500 fps is significantly more accurate it will be a great confidence booster, and I’d go wth them.

I am about to start working loads for an upcoming plains game (up to Sable) hunt and wanted to see if anyone thinks there is a practical difference between 160 grain North Fork SS or 170 Grain Norma Oryx. All shots under 200 Yards.
I’ve no experience with the Oryx. But a bunch with NF SS in various calibers including 7x57. My sons rifle is in this caliber.

Most impressive kill was a frontal shot on a zebra. Slightly quartering to his left. Bullet hit right of center, severed the heart from the major blood vessels, thru a lung and found under the skin on offside.

If you have an accurate load, I don’t think you can go wrong with the NFS.

NF all the way. But the catch is wich one shoots better in your rifle. There is nothing wrong with the Oryx at modest velocities.

If both shoot MOA or 1.5 MOA I’d go Northfork. If the oryx at say 2450-2500 fps is significantly more accurate it will be a great confidence booster, and I’d go wth them.
The 170 Oryx are MOA in my rifle. No issues with accuracy. I have not shot the North Forks yet.

I have no experience with that North Fork bullet but after using the Oryx bullet in several calibers and on various game I have never found anything but excellent performance. Accurate, with wide expansion and deep penetration. If Oryx are available I usually don’t experiment with others any more. You already have a bullet that you can use with confidence. The North fork may be marginally “better” but I doubt it.

The 170 Oryx are MOA in my rifle. No issues with accuracy. I have not shot the North Forks yet.

Since they’re accurate I wouldn’t bother with the North Forks. I use the 170gr Oryx in my 7x64 and have taken many antelope up to large blue wildebeest bulls cleanly. Broadside shots pass through everything I’ve taken so I am sure at 7x57 velocities they do well on anything up to and including sable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!