7 Millimeter Remington Magnum Adequate For Hunting Eland?

I shot two eland last year in Namibia, both with a 7x57. The first was a mercy killing as it had a broken leg. It took 3 rounds in the neck. There is a LOT of neck in an eland.
The second was on a management hunt near Omitara. Shoulder shot but only penetrated into one lung. We caught up with it 6kms later.
I was using 175gr Nosler Partitions. Having had a good look inside the chest cavity later I would prefer a bullet slightly behind the shoulder, the bones are massive. Or use a 375 !

169AF939-8353-46F6-AB62-6FF211ABB9B6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If ÿou are confident in Your rifle, Your load and Your accuracy in regard to shot placement I would suggest it can be done, Effectively!
I only hunted cull animals largest being a Blue Wildebeeste.
Do you have access to good brass projectiles? Barnes TTSX, Outer Edge or something. The theory is these can be a lighter bullet in the same length and hit hard and are effective. Other quality projectiles work, soft points still work and kill too, just find one tough enough for the job, construction varies.
I used a 7mmRM Sako hire rifle with a Nice scope. That gave me confidence in a loaner rifle and I got one shot kills and a clear miss. Pulled it I believe. I hired for simplicity travelling light. I took that advice from this site literally using carry on luggage, just one backpack each. First trip and all that just worried about getting through international terminals.
If you want to take your rifle, it should be capable. If you get cold feet the PH will still have one close.
A hire rifle may be an unknown or feel strange, I don’t know Mine worked out well and I was happy to have a Sako available to me since I have Tikkas. Having your own rifle In your trophy photo s will make you smile.

I used 30-06 calibrer on my Eland, Chest shot, he didn't go far. I think a marksman as your are will not have any problem.

I also used a 7 mm rem Mag on a bull eland. I was shooting 168 grain nosler ABLRs. It only took one shot, but we had stalked to within about 100 yards and the animals didn’t know we were there. As you well know, a relaxed animal gives a much different reaction than an animal on high alert and ready to flee.

Rather use the rifle you know than something you are not familiar with.
The proposed "Norms and Standards" for hunting in SA suggested some minimum bullet weight for various game and the 175gr was listed for Eland.
Move to a premium bonded or partitioned 175gr bullet on your own rifle and be confident it will work if you do your part.

People who love mono metal bullets do not like these recommendations but I am very comfortable as they do seem to make sense with lead core bullets.
They are not meant to be ideal; but I have seen a large Eland taken cleanly with a 150gr GS Custom HV (.30-06 mono bullet) and another with a 175gr 7mm Rem Mag Nosler Partition.

Allow me to welcome you to AH.

Eland are a tough animal and my PH told a story of tracking one for miles.
He was very happy to see me show up with a 375H&H and 300 grain Swift A-Frames.

Can it be done with a 7mmRM, absolutely.
However you may have to get closer or pass on a shot because of your caliber choice.
Sometimes distance, shot angle along with caliber can make a huge difference in what shot to take.
Ultimately it is your safari and you should hunt it your way.
The PH will do their best to get you in position to make the shot.

My Eland was slowly trotting at 100 yards when I took the shot.
I hit the point of the right shoulder and destroyed it.
The bullet was recovered under the hide on the left side.
I took another shot to the left side of the bull as he ran away on 3 legs.
He piled up about 50 yards away from the first shot.
One finishing shot to the heart when he was on the ground...I told you these things are tough.

I am deeply thankful to everyone who has taken the time and the patience to give me some most helpful advice and also helped me to understand exactly how massive a bull eland really is .In a thread with so many insightful responses , it would be impractical to reply to every individual comment . Thus , I am thanking all of you together .
@Shootist43 I had no idea that a bull eland can weigh 2200 pounds . That is as heavy as a fully mature bull gaur . @Newboomer , @Witold Krzyżanowski , @BeeMaa , @Sika98k and @leslie hetrick , the advice to employ a larger caliber on an animal of this size seems like the safest course of action .
@larrich and @Tra3 , it is reassuring to know that both of you gentlemen successfully used a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum on your bull eland with satisfactory results .
@CBH Australia , I have access to Barnes TSX soft nose bullets , Nosler bullets and Cutting Edge Bullets . @Wyatt Smith I prefer to use 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose bullets when I am hand loading . @shark_za , It is true that I have been using a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum for my year round hunting purposes since 1976 , but I have also shot 16 Hunting Leopards with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum between 1973 and 1975 . It was a Double Rifle , though . I can source Nosler Partition 175 grain soft nose bullets for my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum.
@gillettehunter , @crs , @Nyati and @tedthorn , I agree that shot placement is most crucial.
@MMAL , @Spooksar , @YancyW , @Nkawu , I see that you all are slightly more optimistic about the 7 millimeter Remington Magnum that most . @cls , when a gentleman uses his 7 millimeter Remington Magnum for almost all of his plains game hunting , yet opts for a .375 Holland &Holland Magnum to use on the eland , then that is making a statement !

Here is what my intended plan of action is : I shall take my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum and my 12 Bore William Wellington Greener wildfowl gun to Namibia for hunting plains game and wildfowl , respectively . I will use the 7 millimeter Remington Magnum ( with Barnes TSX 175 grain soft nose hand loads ) for almost all of my desired plains game ( Sable , Impala , Kudu , Wildebeest, Hartebeest , Gemsbok , warthog, etc ) . I will use my 12 Bore for wing shooting and for small mammalians like duiker , dik dik or sunni ( loaded with English AAA cartridges) . For the bull eland , I shall ask my White Hunter if it will be advisable to use a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum under the circumstances ( ie if an opportune shot presents itself ) . Just to be on the safe side , I shall probably use the outfitter’s .375 Holland & Holland magnum . For a first time African Safari , I do not wish to leave anything to chance ( especially since , I have personal experience with using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, as well ) .
Thank you , everybody for your thoughtful advice . The elands which some of you have shown me in your photographs are some marvelous looking trophies ( and huge ones , at that ! ).

Last edited:
I am deeply thankful to everyone who has taken the time and the patience to give me some most helpful advice and also helped me to understand exactly how massive a bull eland really is .In a thread with so many insightful responses , it would be impractical to reply to every individual comment . Thus , I am thanking all of you together .
@Shootist43 I had no idea that a bull eland can weigh 2200 pounds . That is as heavy as a fully mature bull gaur . @Newboomer , @Witold Krzyżanowski , @BeeMaa , @Sika98k and @leslie hetrick , the advice to employ a larger caliber on an animal of this size seems like the safest course of action .
@larrich and @Tra3 , it is reassuring to know that both of you gentlemen successfully used a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum on your bull eland with satisfactory results .
@CBH Australia , I have access to Barnes TSX soft nose bullets , Nosler bullets and Cutting Edge Bullets . @Wyatt Smith I prefer to use 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose bullets when I am hand loading . @shark_za , It is true that I have been using a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum for my year round hunting purposes since 1976 , but I have also shot 16 Hunting Leopards with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum between 1973 and 1975 . It was a Double Rifle , though . I can source Nosler Partition 175 grain soft nose bullets for my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum.
@gillettehunter , @crs , @Nyati and @tedthorn , I agree that shot placement is most crucial.
@MMAL , @Spooksar , @YancyW , @Nkawu , I see that you all are slightly more optimistic about the 7 millimeter Remington Magnum that most . @cls , when a gentleman uses his 7 millimeter Remington Magnum for almost all of his plains game hunting , yet opts for a .375 Holland &Holland Magnum to use on the eland , then that is making a statement !

Here is what my intended plan of action is : I shall take my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum and my 12 Bore William Wellington Greener wildfowl gun to Namibia for hunting plains game and wildfowl , respectively . I will use the 7 millimeter Remington Magnum ( with Barnes TSX 175 grain soft nose hand loads ) for almost all of my desired plains game ( Sable , Impala , Kudu , Wildebeest, Hartebeest , Gemsbok , warthog, etc ) . I will use my 12 Bore for wing shooting and for small mammalians like duiker , dik dik or sunni ( loaded with English AAA cartridges) . For the bull eland , I shall ask my White Hunter if it will be advisable to use a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum under the circumstances ( ie if an opportune shot presents itself ) . Just to be on the safe side , I shall probably use the outfitter’s .375 Holland & Holland magnum . For a first time African Safari , I do not wish to leave anything to chance ( especially since , I have personal experience with using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, as well ) .
Thank you , everybody for your thoughtful advice . The elands which some of you have shown me in your photographs are some marvelous looking trophies ( and huge ones , at that ! ).

Prepare to use the PH's 375 H&H if he has one available on a large Namibian Eland bull, cow 7 Rem would be ok.

Of course the 7 RM has killed eland bulls but is not ideal for the task, especially in wooded bushveldt areas.

There are no Suni in Namibia.

Prepare to use the PH's 375 H&H if he has one available on a large Namibian Eland bull, cow 7 Rem would be ok.

Of course the 7 RM has killed eland bulls but is not ideal for the task, especially in wooded bushveldt areas.

There are no Suni in Namibia.
IvW
Thank you. Will my standard 175 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nose factory loaded ammunition be okay for the cow eland ? Or should I use my hand loaded 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose ammunition?

IvW
Thank you. Will my standard 175 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nose factory loaded ammunition be okay for the cow eland ? Or should I use my hand loaded 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose ammunition?

I would prefer TBBC or Swift A frame at the higher velocity the TSX will work but not one of my favorites. Forget the core locked on large PG

I would prefer TBBC or Swift A frame at the higher velocity the TSX will work but not one of my favorites. Forget the core locked on large PG
I would add in the Norma Oryx as an excellent boned bullet as well.

I know a chap who's shot several Eland with his 7x57 and no dramas (Think he was using the classic 175gr round nose as well)

Scrummy

I know a chap who's shot several Eland with his 7x57 and no dramas (Think he was using the classic 175gr round nose as well)

Scrummy

So have I.

A 7x57mm and and a 7mm RM are far apart. Using a proper 170-175 gr premium bullet vs a non bonded (read Rem Core lokt bullet) is also a huge difference.

For a first time visiting hunter the 7mm RM is not a good choice, especially if a 375 H&H is available to him to use and even more so if he is as he states an accomplished shot with the 375 H&H.

Now if he was using TBBC, Rhino or Swift A frame my answer may have swayed in the other direction, but Rem Core lokt and TSX nope.

Hunting in Namibia and ending up with a wounded Eland bull, means many many miles of tracking in unforgiving country with no guarantee of recovery. Catching up to a wounded eland is worlds away from catching up to a wounded cape buffalo, Eland don't stop they keep going and going and going, once he knows you are following and he switches to trot mode, well heaven help you....

Personally I would not take the chance with the bullet selection given by the OP, use the 375 H&H(I would ask the PH/Outfitter what ammunition he has available of course). If you are not happy with what he has available, contact Rosenthals in Windhoek and check what ammo they have available and buy some on the way out from the airport.

IvW all good points and yes I missed the Corelokt part.

What would you go for in Factory ammo? Federal do both 160gr Accubond and Partition in 7mm Rem Mag that might be a good choice?

Scrummy

IvW all good points and yes I missed the Corelokt part.

What would you go for in Factory ammo? Federal do both 160gr Accubond and Partition in 7mm Rem Mag that might be a good choice?

Scrummy

Neither of those two for for eland anyway, not enough controlled expansion.

Only factory ammo I would use would be Federal Premium loaded with TBBC.

Perfect speed for that heavy bullet and sighted 2" high at 100 yards will only be 8.5" low at 300 yards. @300 yards it is still doing 2121 fps, what more could one want?

FP_P7RT1_7mmRemMagTBBC_Combo_Rm.jpg

SPECS
Caliber 7mm Rem Magnum
Bullet Weight 175
Bullet Style Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
Muzzle Velocity 2750
Ballistic Coefficient .407
Bullet Length In 1.410in. / 35.81mm
Package Quantity 20
Usage Big Game

Attachments

• FP_P7RT1_7mmRemMagTBBC_Combo_Rm.jpg
    FP_P7RT1_7mmRemMagTBBC_Combo_Rm.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 83
The members have said it all.. Mt FIRST eland was shot with a 270( so long ago that I can't remember the bullet used.
Subsequently dropped many eland with my 30-06 and 180g soft points (factory loads)... After progressing to DG and having 375H&H magnums in the safe, I now use the 375 as my go to eland caliber... Just because I LOVE hunting with that caliber... AND of course to avoid that looooong follow up, should shot placement fail me.
To answer your question.. YES, the 7mm mag will do fine on eland (go with A Frames).... But, at least consider the odds and maybe take the 375 along!!!

I think the 7RM will do just fine provided you use premium bullets like Barnes X or Swift A-Frame.

My experience (1 Eland) tells me bigger is better.

I’ve told this story several times here and I’m happy to tell it again. I used my Merkel K1 in 7mm RemMag, driving a 150gr. E-Tip at 3000 fps. We stalked to right about 200 yards from my Eland and couldn’t get closer. We set up the sticks and waited for the Eland to turned to offer a right broadside before I squeezed off the shot.

I heard the most godawful impact crack and the Eland went straight down. Reloading and keeping an eye on it through the scope, I could see its head up just above the grass, its body completely shrouded. He was down, but not out. About 15 minutes later he stood up and gave me a second shot with a high shoulder finishing the job.

The first round impacted straight on into the center of the humerus bone, shattering that big bone into a dozen pieces before breaking a rib on the way into the lungs. The first bullet stopped an inch or two before the heart, effectively taking out just one lung. I’m convinced that a 9.3 or .375 would have gone straight on through the heart.

The second shot spined it. By the time we got up to the Eland (through the brush and thorns) the critter had fully expired.

In retrospect, 2” to the left and I’m sure it would have been a one-shot kill. But that’s the whole point: 2” of variance at 200 yards off the sticks is still good shooting. To the left and it’s a kill...to the right and it’s a busted shoulder eating up the bullets penetration potential.

If I were doing that hunt today I’d surely take my 9.3x62 or 375 H&H instead.

Best of luck to you! They are amazing and majestic animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois