577 Nitro Express Commercial Ammunition

Hi @Thomas Rutledge just to clarify are you saying you are willing to part with/sell your 19rds of .577NE from Choice Ammo as it is Full Nitro Loads & you only use the Nitro for Black loads in your rifle from Superior that Lonnie worked up for you ?

Just in case some one needs it & you were willing to let it go.
That’s accurate. I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear.

Apparently, at least according to their online catalog at https://lfb-munition.com/, Labor Fur Ballistik, currently loads for the 577 NE. Probably not inexpensive, but I can only imagine what Superior charges

Apparently, at least according to their online catalog at https://lfb-munition.com/, Labor Fur Ballistik, currently loads for the 577 NE. Probably not inexpensive, but I can only imagine what Superior charges
You are correct sir. This is also the company that Heym uses when they test fire the 577 and is who I am going through to get brass. I appreciate you chasing this down for me.

HH

I have found a source of Bertram brass for the 577. They are working to acquire the brass and are coming up with final pricing. I believe they will sell in 100 piece increments and at a price between $9 and $10 per piece. Will know more next week but am told they will acquire 1000 pieces of brass.

HH

Have any of you actually used Labor für Balistik ammunition..? Looks like the have to some extent copied the Hykro bullet..?

Any updates to this thread? I am interested in getting a 577 but need brass/ammunition for this beast.

HH
Dies and bullets are relatively easy to come by - good luck on finding brass. You might try Bertram USA, but they currently do not show any 577 in stock. That's the problem with many of the big British calibe
As a follow up here, there are three current listings for Kynoch 577 on Guns International - all spendy, of course.
Hi there I have some kynoch 577 that I am trying to sell. I can’t find any information on how to price it. Do you have any knowledge on what people are paying for ammunition and brass?
IMG_0020.jpeg

I was able to get 300 pieces of Bertram Brass back in April.

HH

Last price for Bertram 577 brass was 700/100 or 7 each. For Knoch collector 577, at least $250 per full box of 5 and the condition of the box counts in the price!

Bob Stahl was able to load 19 a while back. Just notified he's out of Business. 650 Woodleigh's, Bertram. 1850fps. It was at least Something. A member suggested, (age dependent) some of these Kynoch Listings may not be the wisest choice.
577 ammo.jpg

Sax also makes loaded ammo in their Bone crusher series.

Attachments

• 577 N.E. (BCS) | M0068.pdf
    518.4 KB · Views: 21
How is it you can buy preloaded ammo for a DR and expect it to regulate in yours? Would all loadings for these calibers not need to be custom to the rifle?

SAX has a good reputation, but due to its bullets and cartridges of smaller calibers.

I don't know what the company was thinking when it came to marketing a cartridge caliber 577 Nitro Express with a light lead-free bullet. The number of customers for this cartridge is worldwide in general very small and many of these own older DR that are no suitable for such a cartridge.

For single-shot weapons like Farquharson rifles for example, it's certainly not a problem.

I am not sure about this.

Some cartridges from well-known companies were brought onto the market and it was clear that there would be problems.

If I had a .577 NE DR and needed ammo I would try and set up a concierge service with Lonnie at Superior or go to Ken Owen. In all likelihood they would make up a couple of rounds of several recipes they thought would be close. Once they got close they would continue refining until the load was developed for your particular rifle. Lonnie helped me with my .577 BPE to find my load. The question is what supplies does he have? You may need to source your own and show up with them.

At times such factory loads shoot accurate because most manufacturers of ammunition for big bore DR try to remain as close as possible to the ballistic values of the old ammunition, above all from Kynoch with which many old double rifles were regulated. However, a problem remains with the modern bullets because nowadays they have much thicker walls than in the past and this is already noticeable by some loads. I also reload cartridges caliber 577 Nitro Express and have clearly better results when I use the old thin-walled bullets from Kynoch. With the bullets from Woodleigh I have to reduce the loads for the same result. You cannot always take the loads as stated in some manuals, and the powder has also to be chosen correctly. It is not always easy to find such loads and therefore requires a supply of components. If you don't reload yourself you will spend in the end a lot of money for a perhaps uncertain result.

At times such factory loads shoot accurate because most manufacturers of ammunition for big bore DR try to remain as close as possible to the ballistic values of the old ammunition, above all from Kynoch with which many old double rifles were regulated. However, a problem remains with the modern bullets because nowadays they have much thicker walls than in the past and this is already noticeable by some loads. I also reload cartridges caliber 577 Nitro Express and have clearly better results when I use the old thin-walled bullets from Kynoch. With the bullets from Woodleigh I have to reduce the loads for the same result. You cannot always take the loads as stated in some manuals, and the powder has also to be chosen correctly. It is not always easy to find such loads and therefore requires a supply of components. If you don't reload yourself you will spend in the end a lot of money for a perhaps uncertain result.
There’s another very good source of .577 caliber 750Gr lead cored bullets out there- Mr. Wim Degol, the Belgian custom bullet maker.

He offers bonded soft points and heavy tombac jacketed FMJ solids which are identical to the original Kynoch profile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you