577 Nitro Express Commercial Ammunition

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
Is 577 Nitro Express ammunition currently commercially produced?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.35 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 539
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.36 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 481
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.37 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 494
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.39 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,527
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.37.52 AM.png
    418 KB · Views: 451
Kynamco is the only manufacturer , that I know of . However , David is an absolute gentleman to interact with .

I visited the Norma factory last year with some buddies...we tried to persuade them to make both .577 and .600 Nitro Express ammo because there is a demand out there, but so far they have not picked up that glove...sad because their PH range of cartridges is utter quality..

Lfb ammunition load the big NE calibres..and quite a few others took that in gunshop I use here...lfb pdf catalogue is worth checking as they load for some of the more hard to get European calibres...I tried to put it on but gave up...beyond me....

20200728_112819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Katalog-LFB_2015_English.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
I received a link from "Ammo-One", though they make the collectable's they'll steer you in the production direction?!?

Any updates to this thread? I am interested in getting a 577 but need brass/ammunition for this beast.

HH

Dies and bullets are relatively easy to come by - good luck on finding brass. You might try Bertram USA, but they currently do not show any 577 in stock. That's the problem with many of the big British calibers.

The most valuable people & resources are here on AH for the 577.

"Colorado Custom Cartridges" loaded Bertram & Woodleigh's one year ago.
"Superior" was willing. I passed up a request & they sold out (2yrs ago)
"GI & GB" have Kynoch from time ..

Problem with Kynoch is Berdan priming.

Any updates to this thread? I am interested in getting a 577 but need brass/ammunition for this beast.

HH
I have a 19 round box from Choice Ammo. Lonnie from Superior took one apart and said it was a full Nitro load. They are FMJ bullets. I have a Greener BPE rile Lonnie helped Regulate with an appropriate load.

No good?
I see Kynoch from time listed for sale .. idk how "old" is still considered okay ..
Loading/reloading Berdan primed brass for most handloaders is more trouble than it is worth. I load for a number of the big British calibers, but have never attempted to load Berdan brass. There are a number of sites out there, including of course, You Tube, that discuss the process. Regarding old or vintage ammo, this topic has been discussed on this site ad nauseum. Most of it has centered around tclassic Kynoch ammo. Much of the red, yellow, and white boxes of Kynoch have become sought after in the collector market. Kynoch USA still has a website, but it does not show much in stock. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge about the present status of the company?

Personally, I would not shoot vintage Kynoch ammo in an expensive double, and particularly if the intended target had the capabilities of "returning fire" so to speak. Plus vintage Kynoch ammo comes at a very steep price due to the collector interest as noted above.

As a follow up here, there are three current listings for Kynoch 577 on Guns International - all spendy, of course.

Loading/reloading Berdan primed brass for most handloaders is more trouble than it is worth. I load for a number of the big British calibers, but have never attempted to load Berdan brass. There are a number of sites out there, including of course, You Tube, that discuss the process. Regarding old or vintage ammo, this topic has been discussed on this site ad nauseum. Most of it has centered around tclassic Kynoch ammo. Much of the red, yellow, and white boxes of Kynoch have become sought after in the collector market. Kynoch USA still has a website, but it does not show much in stock. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge about the present status of the company?

Personally, I would not shoot vintage Kynoch ammo in an expensive double, and particularly if the intended target had the capabilities of "returning fire" so to speak. Plus vintage Kynoch ammo comes at a very steep price due to the collector interest as noted above.
Thank You! .. that's an informative and interesting read.

I tried to order from "Kynoch" through their contact correspondence. They would not sell to me as a private individual @Hunting Hitman

less I'm missing something ... anyone may know of
Thank You.

Thank You! .. that's an informative and interesting read.

I tried to order from "Kynoch" through their contact correspondence. They would not sell to me as a private individual @Hunting Hitman

less I'm missing something ... anyone may know of
Thank You.

I appreciate all the very knowledgeable and rapid responses. Fortunately I will be getting some brass with the rifle purchase. More to follow in that regard.

HH

I have a 19 round box from Choice Ammo. Lonnie from Superior took one apart and said it was a full Nitro load. They are FMJ bullets. I have a Greener BPE rile Lonnie helped Regulate with an appropriate load.

Hi @Thomas Rutledge just to clarify are you saying you are willing to part with/sell your 19rds of .577NE from Choice Ammo as it is Full Nitro Loads & you only use the Nitro for Black loads in your rifle from Superior that Lonnie worked up for you ?

Just in case some one needs it & you were willing to let it go.

My friend, Tanzanian white hunter Mark Sullivan (of Nitro Express Safaris) currently uses a Heym Model 88B in .577 Nitro Express. He has Superior Ammo load him ammunition using 750Gr Barnes T.S.X and 750Gr Cutting Edge Safari Solids. Mark is very happy with the combo and even ordered some for this coming hunting season.

Note: I only recommend monolithic bullets for modern double rifles. Never vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross