505 Gibbs

Baz 500

AH member
Joined
May 25, 2018
Messages
44
Reaction score
108
Media
6
The first Buff taken with the 505 Gibbs. 130 grn’s of AR 2213SC and Woodleigh 600 grn PP.
7ADD5929-D5C7-4577-8E68-6444C49E6506.jpeg
 
Nice photo, will there be a report or story to go with it?
 
Ouch! From both ends!
 
Congratulations Baz!
Nice buff indeed!
 
baz, good to see an honest photo.
there are some of these starting to appear now.
nothing looks more ridiculous than some person made to look about the size of a pinhead behind a giant animal through cunning use of wide angle lenses and placement of the shooter.
honest photos tell no lies and reflect the true situation, offering more viewing pleasure.
bruce.
 
You’re going to have to change your moniker to baz 505! Nice buff. Now we just need you to recap all of the juicy details of the hunt.
 
The first Buff taken with the 505 Gibbs. 130 grn’s of AR 2213SC and Woodleigh 600 grn PP.View attachment 306649

How about posting the videos you showed me yesterday.
I think AH members would like to see them - especially the where the scope connects to your hunting friend![emoji4]
 
my eyes are insufficient to the task of identifying baz's scope.
can anyone help?
bruce.
 
Guys a bit of a run down on the hunt.
I hunted with Aaron Corbett from Australian Outback Safari's, and spent two weeks with Aaron at his camp in Arnhem Land.
The Gibbs accounted for 5 buffalo, including a 100 plus incher that Aaron shot.
The buff I got was spotted from about 400 yds, Aaron checked him out through his binoculars, and said he was the perfect bull for me, a large bodied old bull, as I was not interested in a large set of horns, but wanted a solid animal he was perfect, but very exposed in open country, so Aaron, Mary (Aarons partner) and I proceeded to stalk up to as close as I could get to the old boy, I led the way with Aaron behind and off to my left. He noticed us when we were about 150 yds from him, as he was walking away from us and then turned around, looking at us head on. There was a tree about 2 ft in diameter, 60 yds from the bull, so I walked in line with the tree to hide as much as I could, I got to the tree and his chest was obscured behind another tree about the same size as I was hiding behind, and couldn't get a shot at his chest as he was still head on to me, so Aaron moved into his view, and the bull moved away from the tree to see what was going on, and he presented to me a far from perfect shot head on at 60 yds, no rest just my tree to steady the 505 against in between my thumb and tree. I must admit I was nervous about stuffing up the shot, as I had previously hit a big bull in the same spot head on, the previous year at 30 yds with a 500 nitro express, and he ran off before I dropped him running with a shoulder shot, but the Gibbs being unknown to me, had my heart pumping. I let drive and even through the substantial recoil, I could see I had hit him where I had aimed, in the middle of his chest, he hunched up, and slowly took a few paces, then he turned, and I then had a perfect side on shot presented to me at about 70 yds, as he just stood there on very unsteady feet, allowing me to put one in his neck, which absolutely flattened the old boy, and he went down for good. Aaron said that he has never seen a rifle hit buff as hard as the 505 Gibbs, as the first shot didn't drop him, but really rattled him, and in my limited buff hunting experience would have to agree with him. I was using CZ 550 Safari Classic, with 130 grn's of AR 2213 SC and 600 grn Woodleigh Protective Point Soft Points, the scope is a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20. Cheers Baz.
 
hey baz,
you could have brain panned him and saved a whole lot of bother.;)
that would have dropped him like a bag of doo doo.
bruce.
 
baz,
that gun would have shot him "up the nose" with no problem.:eek::cautious:
sounds like you had a great time.
no one can ever take that away from you.
bruce.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,649
Members
169,786
Latest member
usagolden
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top