.505 Gibbs Your Opinion

Harrison E

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Australia
my dream rifle is a Kilimanjaro Doctari rifle chambered in the mighty .505 Gibbs. i was wondering what people think of the round and the rifle i intend on getting it chambered in. also does anybody use or own one. and would you recommend a different cartridge.
thanks
Harrison

I think it's a good caliber for cape buffalo, elephant and hippo. Anything large.

bloody hell harry, it gives me a sore shoulder , just thinking about it .
good luck with it mate , when do you expect to have such a canon ?
make sure you video it when you go a plinking with it :D:D:D

ok bluey i will do a video when i do eventually buy the rifle. and as for when im going to buy the rifle it wont be anytime soon but oneday i will own it

ok bluey i will do a video when i do eventually buy the rifle. and as for when im going to buy the rifle it wont be anytime soon but oneday i will own it

(y)(y)(y)

The big 50s are absolutely awesome. I have no experience with the Kilimanjaro Doctari rifle but based on the web site it looks beautiful. Make sure it weighs at least 10 lbs without scope, sling or ammo. Recoil tends to be invigorating ... :)

I have a 505 Gibbs in a CZ 550, nice rifle good caliber. My advice is to learn your limits and stay within them. I allow myself 8 rounds max a day. Any more and I start to be adversely affected by it. This caliber will stop anything this world offers if you do your part.

My prediction.....pain.

Just kidding, well sort of. No doubt it would knock Godzilla over.

I think it's a good caliber for cape buffalo, elephant and hippo. Anything large.

Does great job on Duiker too.... ;)

It wouldn't leave you much to do with a Diuker

I just bought a 505 Gibbs recently (Montana Rifle Co.) but sadly I had to return it due to function issues. unfortunately I didn't get a chance to shoot it so I cant give you any info on recoil. if you like the 500 NE then you will probably enjoy the 505 Gibbs as well.

however, I have spoken with Mr. Robertson on the Kilimanjaro Doctari rifle. he said the rifle was very nice and served him well while he carried it. but I did get the feeling he wasn't overly impressed with it because he ended up going back to his old rifle (the name escapes me) which was the same chambering. if you have questions you could try asking him directly, his forum name is doctari505.

-matt

I've shot the .505 Gibbs rather extensively by now, the video in this forum right now a few down from this thread is me working the custom .505 RSM at the end. To shooters experienced in .375 and up, frankly the recoil is a non-event. Very strong, but by no means objectionable or brutal. You do have to remember you're shooting a proper rifle or it will put you on your back foot, lean in, hold firm, focus on your target and fire. It will become within a couple rounds, just like any other gun, but as others have pointed out you do have to know your limitations, and I'd suggest it with no concerns to anyone who's been actively shooting and hunting a .375 for a few years or more with no issues. If when you shoulder it for the first time you brace for the bite and bark, you probably shouldn't pull the trigger, as you'll more than likely do a lot of harm to your shooting. Not many years ago, I've been afraid of a rifle before and it was a disaster that haunted me for a couple years on any rifle thereafter. So if you're ready to approach it as just another rifle and have lots of medium bore and up experience, dive right in there is nothing to fear.

Big gun hurt shoulder! Eight rounds sounds about right. I have fired the US Military 50 cal sniper rifle six times in a row. Besides breathing in the exhaust if that thing it slid me back five inches while in the prone position. Be prepared!

The 50 BMG sniper rifle is a pussycat! It weighs 30 lbs, plus the muzzle brake takes away half of the recoil. Now an 11 lb 505 Gibbs shooting a 600g bullet at 2300 fps without a brake will clear your sinuses ...

im with Ardent, if you go into it scared of the gun then its not a good idea to shoot it. if you shoot a 375 H&H with ease then other big bores wont surprise you too much. moving from a 375 to a 416 is just a heavier push so im sure the 416 to the 500/505 is the same. in fact ive found the 416 (400gr bullet at 2300fps) to be more pleasant to shoot then my 375 (300gr bullet at 2500fps). i figure the higher velocity makes the recoil a bit snappier which makes it more likely to sting the shoulder.

-matt

AH Veteran,
Very very sound advice. Thank you

Harrison E
take his advice. People tend to over do things particularly in the beginning and this can have negative results. Big boomers are serious learning curve. Before you shoot - Work on your setup/stance until it becomes natural. Setup is the most important like a boxer, golfer or tennis player. So before you touch one, do a mental check. Aim to shoot 1-3 best quality shots. Do worry about speed of a follow up shot for now. First work on hitting the mark, this by far the MOST important. Then work up from there.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Leon

Last edited:
gday kanzutu
welcome to AH mate, enjoy the site .
sounds like you know big guns .
if you want, go to introductions and make a greeting , then all your new friends will welcome to the site .

Bluey,

Thanks I'll do so!

I just bought a 505 Gibbs recently (Montana Rifle Co.) but sadly I had to return it due to function issues. unfortunately I didn't get a chance to shoot it so I cant give you any info on recoil. if you like the 500 NE then you will probably enjoy the 505 Gibbs as well.

however, I have spoken with Mr. Robertson on the Kilimanjaro Doctari rifle. he said the rifle was very nice and served him well while he carried it. but I did get the feeling he wasn't overly impressed with it because he ended up going back to his old rifle (the name escapes me) which was the same chambering. if you have questions you could try asking him directly, his forum name is doctari505.

-matt

Matt, any update on your 505 after it was returned ?

Bluey, silly question- where do I find the tab to introductions and greets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois