505 Gibbs Custom Rifle on Vektor Action

Are you hand loading for your 505
I’m in the process of collecting components. I was able to find some brass and 570 gr A-Frames. Also got a few 525 cutting edge solids to see if that flat profile feeds ok. The only place I could find that had dies in stock was located in Australia. Shipping to the U.S. is taking some time but they should be here soon so I can get started.

Just had a 505 built on a Granite Mt Arms Action... Had the Gun Smith work the Action to feed and load CEB Solids and Raptor's.
My go to load is the 525gr CEB Solid and the 485gr Raptor..

I’m anxious to give the CEB a try with the 505. Just this week, I also got a box to try with my 404 Jeffery which is built on a GMA action as well. If the CEB won’t feed, both might be off for some tuning as I would like to have those as an option.

Can I ask how much your 505 weighs? Mine as it sits is at 9lb 15.5oz. I’m thinking I want to get this closer to 11lb, if not a little more, before I head to the range.

Both of my Win mod 70's Safari Express have fed the CEB Solids and Raptors without any problems. My 505 as mentioned was tuned for CEB bullets.
My 505 empty (iron sights only) weighs in at 11lbs with no additional weight added.... approx 11.5 with 3 down and one in the chamber.

I just saw the pictures of your rifle. Very nice.

I'd say you have done very well. Congratulations.

This is my .505 Gibbs, built by Lon Paul on a Granite Mountain action with receiver sight and scope rings by Smithson.
Lon Paul 505 001.jpg
Lon Paul 505 002.jpg
Lon Paul 505 004.jpg

It is everything I hoped it would be and then some.

I think the Smithson system is superior to claw mounts, which would be the other obvious option for a double square bridge action. I like it both for the fact that when the scope is removed, the top of the receiver is uncluttered and ideal for iron sight use. In this case I have a choice between the traditional open sights and the unique receiver sight. As a former military team shooter, I prefere the aperture.

That’s gorgeous @ay2626

In the September auction at Holts there was actually a .375H&H Vektor on the block, I had put a lowball bid, as I wanted to conserve funds for my bid on the Heym (which I won). It eventually went for 2500£. (This would have cost me around 5000€ or about 6000$ equivalent, with all the fees and such)
I just checked out that listing which is another good looking vektor, but nothing compared to that Heym! Congrats on that purchase.

I think the Smithson system is superior to claw mounts, which would be the other obvious option for a double square bridge action. I like it both for the fact that when the scope is removed, the top of the receiver is uncluttered and ideal for iron sight use. In this case I have a choice between the traditional open sights and the unique receiver sight. As a former military team shooter, I prefere the aperture.
Thanks. I not too long ago picked up a GMA action 404 Jeff that was stocked by Smithson. Fit me really well but doesn’t have any mounts. I’ve been trying to decide how to go.

That is one beautiful looking .505 Gibbs. The South African Vektor Magnum Mauser action is a very strong and reliable one. The .505 Gibbs is one caliber that’s always fascinated me. I have a few rumors on the internet however, about how these actions feed better with round nosed ammunition than with meplat ammunition.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I understand now that there were six total 505 actions. For some reason I was thinking in terms of completed rifles and that there were additional actions in circulation.
No - there are quite a few actions that were used to build custom rifles. There are only 6 original Vektor rifles.(confirmed by Casey Lewis)

That is one beautiful looking .505 Gibbs. The South African Vektor Magnum Mauser action is a very strong and reliable one. The .505 Gibbs is one caliber that’s always fascinated me. I have a few rumors on the internet however, about how these actions feed better with round nosed ammunition than with meplat ammunition.
Also true for Heym action and a few others.

One of the best custom made 505’s I’ve ever seen ! Built on a Heym magnum action by Gerrie Coetzee a top notch Smith from Bloemfontein.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you