.500 Jeffery action options?

If you stumbled across a a pre chambered 500 Jeffery (an unbelievable find) the hunting gods are telling you something, hell they are yelling it................ BUILD!

You didn't say if it was pre-threaded also, if it is not, then your action options are almost unlimited.

Look at this beauty built on a Rem, 30, hence a 1917 Enfield action, AKA P-14.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.50.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.50.03 PM.png
    731 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.50.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.50.05 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 68
If you stumbled across a a pre chambered 500 Jeffery (an unbelievable find) the hunting gods are telling you something, hell they are yelling it................ BUILD!

You didn't say if it was pre-threaded also, if it is not, then your action options are almost unlimited.

Look at this beauty built on a Rem, 30, hence a 1917 Enfield action, AKA P-14.

It is pre threaded. It was tried on a standard length Mauser action and fitted, but we think that the threads on a magnum Mauser will be the same. Had it not been threaded I would probably build on a CZ550 Magnum because I'm quite familiar with them.

I heard the hunting gods loud and clear! Finding something like this in the UK is a rarity. I believe it was in an old box of barrels picked up by my gunsmith from someone who was retiring and just needed them gone, so that also means the project should be able to go ahead for an affordable sum. I'm not a wealthy man, so the chance of owning a rifle like this for a price I can afford isn't an opportunity I'm going to allow to pass me by. I don't suppose I'll be able to afford to shoot it all that much, but it will be special to own and hopefully one day I can do it justice by taking it on a cape buffalo hunt.

Yes the barrel WILL fit the Magnum length action, although a small adjustment may be necessary.

All large ring Mausers are 1.1" X 12 TPI with a 55 degree pitch whitworth thread. The a LR shank length is .625" Small rings are .980" dia and .645 shank length, with the same 12 TPI 55 degree threads. These threads are NOT metric despite what you may hear or read.

Most replacement barrels are cut with a 60 degree pitch on the thread, and sometimes a tad undersize to allow them to fit the small variances found in the millions of Mauser actions made all over the world from different manf. Gunsmiths often coat the threads with medium strength thread lock after headspacing and at the final fitting, to make up for the tad loose fit.

Sometimes the Threads need to be "chased" with a die on the barrel and a tap for the receiver. A lot of people chase the threads with lots of anti seize compound and turning the barrel in and out of the receiver a 1/4 turn at a time until the barrel seats and moves in and out with relative ease. But the tap and die available from gunsmith supply houses and even for rent, from I believe 4D reamers is best used.

The shank length seldom comes out to the exact length after being fitted to the action, headspaced, and with a good tight contact on both the primary and secondary rings of the LR action. But that is a minor issue of no real concern. Crush factor when chinching up the barrel is about .002" to be considered when headspacing.

Talk headspace over with your gunsmith there is a variance between "go" and "no go" and even "go" and when the action will close on new brass. Even a bigger tolerance exists between "go" and "field". While tighter headspace is usually better and makes for a more accurate rifle, it may not be the best choice for a dangerous game rifle.

Africa is a dirty place and you spend a lot of time crawling under the bush. Dirt in the action is a fact of life. A tight headspace MAY and I say ONLY may, make closing the bolt on a quick charge stopping second shot a tad stiff.

This will probably never happen to you, and it has happened to me when hunting, here in Colorado only once. And that was a result of a small amount of ice in the action during a long hard day of hunting in the deep snow on an elk. I have never had it happen to me in Africa, but did see it happen to a PH. It did happen several times in Vietnam to me, and a lot of other GI's with the early M-16's. Of course that is an entirely different action, that lacks the closing power of a bolt. But trouble closing an action resulting from tight tolerances and dirt in a crisis is a really BAD feeling.

That same condition could result not from dirt, but could result from being forced to use ammo (especially if handloads) supplied by the PH if yours becomes lost or missing during travel, not an uncommon event. So discuss it with your gunsmith, you have some leeway. Again not real right or wrong answer here just something to consider on the build.

Like you I don't have a lot money. I'm a retired shop teacher, 73 years old and have to work part time maintenance jobs to save enough for these trips. But that makes me appreciate them all the more. Although I could feel my age in the long stocks during last summers hunt in S. Africa.

Enjoy you buffalo hunt I think hunting them i my favorite. They really do look at you "like you owe them money". A friend who also hunts them say hell no " they look at you like your sleeping with their wife". Any way I've never seen one smile at me.

Good hunting.

Yes the barrel WILL fit the Magnum length action, although a small adjustment may be necessary.

All large ring Mausers are 1.1" X 12 TPI with a 55 degree pitch whitworth thread. The a LR shank length is .625" Small rings are .980" dia and .645 shank length, with the same 12 TPI 55 degree threads. These threads are NOT metric despite what you may hear or read.

Most replacement barrels are cut with a 60 degree pitch on the thread, and sometimes a tad undersize to allow them to fit the small variances found in the millions of Mauser actions made all over the world from different manf. Gunsmiths often coat the threads with medium strength thread lock after headspacing and at the final fitting, to make up for the tad loose fit.

Sometimes the Threads need to be "chased" with a die on the barrel and a tap for the receiver. A lot of people chase the threads with lots of anti seize compound and turning the barrel in and out of the receiver a 1/4 turn at a time until the barrel seats and moves in and out with relative ease. But the tap and die available from gunsmith supply houses and even for rent, from I believe 4D reamers is best used.

The shank length seldom comes out to the exact length after being fitted to the action, headspaced, and with a good tight contact on both the primary and secondary rings of the LR action. But that is a minor issue of no real concern. Crush factor when chinching up the barrel is about .002" to be considered when headspacing.

Talk headspace over with your gunsmith there is a variance between "go" and "no go" and even "go" and when the action will close on new brass. Even a bigger tolerance exists between "go" and "field". While tighter headspace is usually better and makes for a more accurate rifle, it may not be the best choice for a dangerous game rifle.

Africa is a dirty place and you spend a lot of time crawling under the bush. Dirt in the action is a fact of life. A tight headspace MAY and I say ONLY may, make closing the bolt on a quick charge stopping second shot a tad stiff.

This will probably never happen to you, and it has happened to me when hunting, here in Colorado only once. And that was a result of a small amount of ice in the action during a long hard day of hunting in the deep snow on an elk. I have never had it happen to me in Africa, but did see it happen to a PH. It did happen several times in Vietnam to me, and a lot of other GI's with the early M-16's. Of course that is an entirely different action, that lacks the closing power of a bolt. But trouble closing an action resulting from tight tolerances and dirt in a crisis is a really BAD feeling.

That same condition could result not from dirt, but could result from being forced to use ammo (especially if handloads) supplied by the PH if yours becomes lost or missing during travel, not an uncommon event. So discuss it with your gunsmith, you have some leeway. Again not real right or wrong answer here just something to consider on the build.

Like you I don't have a lot money. I'm a retired shop teacher, 73 years old and have to work part time maintenance jobs to save enough for these trips. But that makes me appreciate them all the more. Although I could feel my age in the long stocks during last summers hunt in S. Africa.

Enjoy you buffalo hunt I think hunting them i my favorite. They really do look at you "like you owe them money". A friend who also hunts them say hell no " they look at you like your sleeping with their wife". Any way I've never seen one smile at me.

Good hunting.
Lots of good info there, thanks.

I think there's a good chance that a hunt is enjoyed even more if the money you pay for it is relevant to you. As much as I'd love to be rich, I don't think it would be good for me. If you're able to go and do whatever you want, whenever you want, surely whatever you want to do can get a bit boring?

I decided I wanted to do a buffalo hunt when I lost my father. It made me much more aware that life does have an end, and we should do the things we love whilst we are able. I used some of the money he left me to buy a CZ550 in .416 Rigby and have been learning to shoot it properly ever since. My first buffalo hunt will be done with that rifle - if I can afford another hunt later then I would like to use a .500 just for the experience of it.

So I can tell you from experience that it will NOT work in an Arisaka (Recently tried).
It will do decently in a mosin, with some modification. (anything will feed from a mosin if you mill out the receiver enough lol)
I built mine on a Savage 110 though, and the conversion was dead easy. Used the bolt head from a 338 Lapua, on a 30-06 action. Stock and detachable box mag from Archangel, both needed a fair bit of work but nothing hard to do, just milling and sanding and filing.
Been using as a hog rifle.
It came out a little lighter than I had wanted (11.5 lbs with scope), so it's quite uncomfortable to shoot from the bench, but not bad from shooting sticks with proper stance.
The action is smooth (Yes, pushfeed bolts are heresy, but I like it), reliable, and suprisingly accurate (1.25 MOA)
Was also very surprised with the scope, I was asked by a local guy for opinions on the Primary Arms 1-4x, and after confirming with the company that they would warranty it if it failed, I bought one.
It's held zero for about 50 rounds, which is 35 more than the leupold, and 47 more than the bushnell.

Savage 110 in 500 Jeffery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an unusual looking gun in this calibre! I like your thinking though. I don't know much about the Savage 110 - is it a modular system which allows you to swap bolts etc, or was there a lot of work involved in what you did?

Interesting info re. the scopes you've tried. I'm surprised that the Leupold didn't hold up better.

No problems with push feeds here. As long as a man practices with it using dummy rounds they are as effective as a controlled round feed.

What model of leupold failed? I just bought a 2.5X20 FX for my 500J build. I have had two VXIII chip lenses on my 458 Lott but it was my fault, as I had the ring over the lens and the recoil and tight clamp on the lens is what chipped it, still Leupold stood behind everything 100%.

Hope the FX holds up on the 500J.

I also like to build on the Savage 110 they are not pretty for sure, but they are accurate and dependable, and anyone can barrel one and set the headspace. U tube is full of videos showing how easy it is.

I think any 500J is uncomfortable from the bench, and 10 rounds lets you know you have done something when zeroing.

I agree also about the Mosin Nagant. I have an action I'm thinking of for 405 Win. Looks like a little work on the receiver by the ramp and all would feed and work well.

You have got to try that 500J on a couple of Prairie Dogs, at least once.

No problems with push feeds here. As long as a man practices with it using dummy rounds they are as effective as a controlled round feed.

What model of leupold failed? I just bought a 2.5X20 FX for my 500J build. I have had two VXIII chip lenses on my 458 Lott but it was my fault, as I had the ring over the lens and the recoil and tight clamp on the lens is what chipped it, still Leupold stood behind everything 100%.

Hope the FX holds up on the 500J.

I also like to build on the Savage 110 they are not pretty for sure, but they are accurate and dependable, and anyone can barrel one and set the headspace. U tube is full of videos showing how easy it is.

I think any 500J is uncomfortable from the bench, and 10 rounds lets you know you have done something when zeroing.

I agree also about the Mosin Nagant. I have an action I'm thinking of for 405 Win. Looks like a little work on the receiver by the ramp and all would feed and work well.

You have got to try that 500J on a couple of Prairie Dogs, at least once.
@gibbs30c
For your 405 build you could use a P14 Enfield or a No4 SMLE.
The SMLE would be amply strong and all you would have to modify is the magazine to a single stack
I converted one to 444 marlin and it was awesome with 280gn Woodleighs at just under 2,400fps.
Bob

Bob,
Already did the 405 on a P-14 Enfield. The barrel is heavier than I'd like. I ordered it with a flat breech like a Mauser and deep chambered and threaded. The barrel Co insisted on a # 5 contour because of lawyers I guess.

I fitted the barrel and headspaced it, after doing all the work to the P-14 acton needed to change it from Military quise into a nice sporter. The action was from broken down Drill Rifles that I think SOG sold about 15 years ago.

The rifle came out with the laminated stock (from Boyds) at about 11 lbs. Way too much for elk in Colorado's mountains. Thought it wouldn't be too bad, but one elk hunt changed my mind.

So I intend to thin the barrel on the lathe this summer, and put it all in a lighter stock, and will strive for about 9 lbs.

With the 400 gr 450/400 bullets from Hornady I can easily push the strong Enfield to 2200 fps with no pressure or head expansion. This beats the original 450/400 loads.

I just want to build the 405 on a Mosin Nagant action for the novelty of it. I have seen numerous 45/70's on that action but never a 405, and like I said I think it could be done without too much trouble.

SAAMI pegs the 405 Win at 35,500 PSI and the 7.62X54 at 56,500 PSI, with about the same case head size. So the working pressures are well within the Mosin Nagants pressure range, and the close case head size results in much less bolt thrust for the 405W.

But I'm sure I will have to thread and chamber the barrel myself, as so many barrel Co's won't do a Mosin Nagant barrel in anything except the original 7.62X54 and a few other calibers like the 45/70 (lawyers again I guess)....anyway I intend to try that build when I get the time, just to see how it goes.

I still can't get a reply from Norma as to whether the 500 Jeffery brass has been discontinued by them............ but like my grandfather used to say "NO reply IS a reply"!

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross