500/416 nitro express

Harrison E

AH member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
31
Reaction score
6
Hunted
South Africa, Australia
what do people think of the caliber, would you recommend it, also just any general information regarding the round.
 
I recently bought a rifle chambered in this caliber and i haven't had a great deal of trigger time with it yet. however, from the limited time ive spent with it i can tell you its capable of very good accuracy and bullet availability/selection is very good. one important detail is that factory ammunition is very limited. the only place i know to get a variety of factory loads is from Superior Ammunition. however, if your a hand loader then this cartridge can prove very practical with .416" bullets being widely available and inexpensive.

if you like the 416 Rigby/Remington/Ruger then you will probably like the 500/416 NE.

-matt
 
I guess, I list the cons to this caliber: it's not that popular, must be hard to find brass....why not buy something like a 416 Rigby or 404 Jeffrey or 450 NE?
 
both 416 Rigby and 404 jeffery arent great double rifle cartridges due to the lack of a rim and the 450 NE 3.25" is just as rare as the 500/416 NE.

when i was looking for a double, i was actually looking for a 450 NE 3.25" but couldnt find one that i could afford ($11k max). i ended up with a 500/416 NE because it was interesting and affordable. unfortunely the 450 NE 3.25" is far overshadowed by the more popular 470 NE cartridge so finding ammunition, brass, or even a gun chambered in it has become difficult. (i prefer the 450 NE 3.25" over the 470 NE)

jamison makes brass for the 500/416 NE.

-matt
 
Matt, he didn't mention double rifle. And if he was I'd mention 450/400
 
fair enough, i assumed he was talking about a double because the 500/416 NE is not available in anything but double rifles.

-matt
 
fair enough, i assumed he was talking about a double because the 500/416 NE is not available in anything but double rifles.

-matt

Exactly. Duplicates .416 Rigby in a rimmed round for a double - what is not to like.
 
im with you Red Leg, i like the cartridge.

-matt
 
Matt, he didn't mention double rifle. And if he was I'd mention 450/400

Any conversation regarding the .500/.416 automatically implies a double rifle.

As far as I know, this cartridge has not been available in anything except side by side rifles, and damn few of them - unfortunately.

However, it seems that Ruger could make a successful limited run of their #1 Tropical Single Shot in caliber .500/.416 Krieghoff.

Nobody ever listens to me.
 
No offense taken, I should have assumed he was talking double rifles.

The problem with any caliber bigger than .375 H&H is you have a limited supply and demand.
 
This is a round that makes a LOT of sense.....perfect for a visiting hunter who wants to use a double on more than just DG....impressive ballistics....perfect for a PH(who does not hunt a lot of elephant) or foot safari guide...

I am surprised it has not taken off more than it has...
 
The late Don Heath was a huge fan of this caliber . Towards the end of his life , he cut back his battery to just two rifles :
i ) A Dumoulin Mauser in 9.3x62 mm with a detachable magazine
ii ) A Kreighoff Boxlock Ejector in .500/416 Nitro Express

The double was almost exclusively used for dangerous game . He seemed to be very happy with his , using hand loaded 400 Gr Woodleigh FMJ solids and soft points .
 
I saw this rifle the other day when I was surfing the web and it got me to thinking about the 500/416.
Beautiful rifle.. Shame about the stock damage but I’m guessing it can be fixed? I was wondering if the 416 Rimmed A-Square and the 500/416 NE were the same cartridge given the description in the ad? Also wonder how it balances with that long barrel
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.24 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.26 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.28 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.22.30 AM.png
    806.4 KB · Views: 188
If anyone in Europe is interested, there’s a decent 500/416 Krieghoff for sale in Poland for just over €7000. There are also 375H&H and 375H&H Flanged K-Guns available.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,843
Members
169,031
Latest member
EduardoLap
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top