470 NE non solid for elephant?

Masai

AH senior member
Joined
Jun 14, 2023
Messages
66
Reaction score
117
Media
6
Will the bonded 470NE penetrate enough to hunt elephant?

Hi, so I got a Merkel 470NE (side by side) and looking into using it for my next elephant hunt. Checking ammo online I see the Hornady 500gr Bonded DGX (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/470-nitro-express-500-gr-dgs#!/) I see they offer solid and bonded. Given that I will shoot some other animals (impala, buffalo, baboon, etc) I wonder if to bring only bonded (instead of also solid) is reccomended for elephant, given that most likely Ill be taking a side brain shoot on the elephant.
Here a pic of my rifle :):
1715368782385.png
 

Attachments

I woudn't use a soft of any construction on an elephant. Nor do I think you'd find a PH who would recommend/allow it. Although you're planning on a side brain, your shot opportunity (or necessity) may dictate a frontal brain, potentially under duress.
 
I'm headed to Zimbabwe in July for tuskless elephant with my .470ne and was told to bring 10 solids and 10 softs..... the softs are incase I want to used my .470 for game other than elephant.

As others have stated - I would not recommend softs for elephant, nor do I believe that any PH would allow you to use them.

FYI - Midwayusa has bonded DGX & DGS .470 in stock currently.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001965694?pid=972726
 

Attachments

As Habib said recently "sure, you can shoot the elephant with a bonded bullet, AFTER you know he is dead!"

His skull is pretty thick. I'd use good solids.
 
Will the bonded 470NE penetrate enough to hunt elephant?

Hi, so I got a Merkel 470NE (side by side) and looking into using it for my next elephant hunt. Checking ammo online I see the Hornady 500gr Bonded DGX (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/470-nitro-express-500-gr-dgs#!/) I see they offer solid and bonded. Given that I will shoot some other animals (impala, buffalo, baboon, etc) I wonder if to bring only bonded (instead of also solid) is reccomended for elephant, given that most likely Ill be taking a side brain shoot on the elephant.
Here a pic of my rifle :):
View attachment 604850
In a word - NO
 
Only solids on elephant no negotiation
 
Like everybody says. I wont use Hornady of any kind , period , there is waaaaay better ammo available
can you name some or share some links that I can buy online please?
 
 

Attachments

There are others, such as north fork and some of the African-made bullets that are also highly regarded but cutting edge appears to have bullets in stock. In 2024, the reality is that availability is going to drive a lot of decisions. The good news is cutting edge is regarded as either in the top tier or the single best solid.
 
Your PH will insist on solids. You want to keep him happy as well as safe
 
Last edited:
Will the bonded 470NE penetrate enough to hunt elephant?

Hi, so I got a Merkel 470NE (side by side) and looking into using it for my next elephant hunt. Checking ammo online I see the Hornady 500gr Bonded DGX (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/470-nitro-express-500-gr-dgs#!/) I see they offer solid and bonded. Given that I will shoot some other animals (impala, buffalo, baboon, etc) I wonder if to bring only bonded (instead of also solid) is reccomended for elephant, given that most likely Ill be taking a side brain shoot on the elephant.
Here a pic of my rifle :):
View attachment 604850
Do keep in mind your regulation needs as not all factory ammo will work. If you load, even better. Or, you can have the rifle re-regulated to a load if your choice.

But to beat the dead horse "deader"...no softs for the Ele.
 
They not cheap ... for good reason
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,849
Members
169,440
Latest member
HarryUnzu
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top