www.amandlagroup.co.za
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NSA,Kaapj and SA hunters
Hunted
Kudu,impala,springbuck,wildebeest
Fellow hunters. Between the two above calibers, what would be a better choice. I bought a .458 Win, but I for some reason, have buyers remorse. Should I have bought a .458 Lot.

Can I have some advice or comments between these two calibers.

Many thanks.

IMG-20230331-WA0036.jpg
1412285567.jpg

.458 Wm will do anything you would ever need a .458 for…… don’t get caught up in the lie that the .458 Wm is junk because it’s not. No reason to have buyers remorse unless you never intend to shoot it. Good investment either way.

I own a Kimber 458 Lott and I really like the rifle and the round. However, there’s no reason to trade your 458 Winchester magnum. It’s a better round than it was when it was first introduced and will do everything you need it to. Take your Winchester on safari and have fun!

I have a Lott but nothing wrong with the Win mag. Also I have seen so much praise recently for cartridges like the 450/400NE, 450NE, 470NE yet the win mag still gets bashed even though it provides ballistics equal to or better than all those calibres. Load up some 480 or 500 grain bullets at 2150-2200fps and you will take anything on earth with zero issues.

the Lott came about due to the Ammo being produced when the 458 win mag started production.

The different ammo makers now make premium ammo for the rifle.

dead is dead if you do your part with your purchase.

now have some fun.

Have it throated out to .458 Lott, mark the rifle, and then you can shoot either one.
Leave it as is if you handload. I have the same rifle and as you can see, the performance was excellent. Conversion is just a reamer cleanout to go for Lott and it can still shoot 458. YOur choice but no buyer's remorse.

Attachments

• 458XL.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 54
.458 Wm will do anything you would ever need a .458 for…… don’t get caught up in the lie that the .458 Wm is junk because it’s not. No reason to have buyers remorse unless you never intend to shoot it. Good investment either way.
Today's powders and bullets make the 458 potent when compared to the issues Jack Lott had to deal with. With the temperature insensitive powders today, more confidence in loads to not have presssure excursions.

It looks like a CZ 550 IN THE PICTURES.
It has a long throat. You can load 458 lott level with the 458 win mag. No need for remorse unless you want a Lott. You did good. Enjoy your rifle as it is. Tje magazine can handle little longer 458 loads.
Krish

The Lott probably has 150-200 fps on the Win Mag. I had mine reamed out but I’ve often wondered if it was worth it.

I have CZ550s in both the WM and Lott, just because. Load a Barnes 450gr. TSX in your WM and never look back. No real need for a Lott with todays bullets and powders IMHO.

If you hadn't already bought the 458 Win Mag then I would recommend the 458 Lott as you can shoot the Win Mag ammo in a Lott, but not the other way around. But as you have bought the Win Mag, it will serve you well. Unless of course you like buying firearms. Then buy a Lott as well. Too many firearms you ask? Balderdash.

If you ever decide to have it rechambered I would highly recomend going the full throtle with the 450 ackley magnum now you can shoot all 3 the win mag lott and of course 450 AK MAG
if you reload for it you can honeslty get the 500hrs flying 2400 plus fps yes the recoil is quite alot but you can always taper down and use the 458 lott shooting around 2250-2300 fps ans thats plenty of energy for any beast on the planet that you would encounter .

I currently own a Lott. I used to own an old tang safety Ruger in .458 Win. I never shot anything with either, but if you can’t kill it with a .458 Win and a 500gr at 2050 fps, you need a 155mm howitzer.

Fellow hunters. Between the two above calibers, what would be a better choice. I bought a .458 Win, but I for some reason, have buyers remorse. Should I have bought a .458 Lot.

Can I have some advice or comments between these two calibers.

Many thanks.

View attachment 526931View attachment 526932
I have a .458 Win Msg. I have killed two cape buffalo bulls with.it. The second bull was this last August. He took.the 500 grain solid through the right shoulder and heart, then exited behind the left.shoulder. He dove behind some acacia and made it about 25 yards and piled up.dead. The MV is 2160 and the bull was standing at about 75 or 80 yards. I can't see any reason to get a Lott, unless you just want to get kicked harder.

The CZ550 Magnum magazine will feed cartridges up to 3.8 inches, if I remember correctly. The Win Mag throat is longer than a Lott throat (lands further from bolt face). You should be able to handload Win Mag brass to Lott OAL and run Lott speeds, I load 450tsx to 3.60" at 2350fps in my 550. Of course, check your gun to be sure longer loading will be safe. A gunsmith can run a chamber reamer in if you want to use Lott brass. The longer OAL should feed more reliably from that magazine. I am sure you will be very pleased with your rifle.

PS. Might want to check the chamber, have seen one that was reamed to Lott but never properly stamped, and my 550 hates bullets lighter than 450gn. They are out of the WM brass before engaging the rifling.

Last edited:
A 458 WM will fire in a Lott chamber, but will it reliably FEED since it is short and stubby, or maybe jump up from the magazine a bit?
My WMs feed well in my Lott, but maybe I'm just lucky? LOL

I have CZ550s in both the WM and Lott, just because. Load a Barnes 450gr. TSX in your WM and never look back. No real need for a Lott with todays bullets and powders IMHO.

This!

The 458WM with a 450 TSX will do work. Heck I have a lott and still use the 450gr TSX it just works. If you want to try some, buffalo bore sell it loaded up.

@Yaseen,

you are an idiot!! you should sell that lousy rifle to me for what you paid for it and go right out and buy a 458 lott!! :ROFLMAO:

nah, my suggestion is, load it up as it is capable for and enjoy it. if you lived in N. America, well, then i would continue to brow beat you till you sold the gun to me. ;)

if the 458 win mag wont get it done, then likely you need a MUCH bigger caliber. good hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.