.458 Win Mag powder

Here's a place to start- http://ns.hodgdon.com/extreme.html -I'd highly recommend using a powder within this group.

Then use a chronograph to work toward a reasonable velocity goal and pay attention to pressure signs like head expansion, primer flattening and stiff bolt lift.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.13.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.13.08 AM.png
    951.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.13.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.13.09 AM.png
    954.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.13.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.13.11 AM.png
    943.7 KB · Views: 223
I've tried them all...nothing impressive-always in the 2,000-2,150ish fps range (even w/ longer 450 gr Barnes bullets.) :( Traded in favor of the PERFECT .416 Chatfield-Taylor.
450 Barnes Ramshot TAC
73.5
2,178
4,742

500 Federal Ramshot TAC
67.0
2,083
4,819

I do recall the great Woodleigh bullets being the shortest, so try those with the max, compressed powder loads and you'll prob have slightly better success. Kevin Robertson is dead-on about this short mag's limitations. Use the 450 gr bullets to get the velocity up to the effective minimums. My son shot a buff with one once (after we got to within 20 yards!) ;) Ok as a stopping round, only because those sorts of distances are ok with it. (TAC is made by the same co. as Western, AA-all very similar, denser, more compressible grain-sized powders).
Off this topic, but what load data might you have for your .416 Taylor? I’m close to buying one and would appreciate your input? 350 and 400gr bullets. Thanks!
 
Accurate 2230
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.09.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.09.32 AM.png
    640.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.09.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.09.33 AM.png
    781.7 KB · Views: 203
I heard that some factory ammunition gets good velocity by either blending powders to a secret recipe, or using some kind of secret powder. Any thoughts on this?

I’m not too worried, I’ll cheerfully use 2206H and am happy with the results.

Manufacturers blend but they have the facilities to test for burn rates and pressure. Their blends are consistent.
If we start blending I can only imagine the disasters they would occur.
 
Rereading my post it sounds like I want to try it! Hell, no!

I figured that.
I couldn’t imagine anyone from AH being so stupid as to try it![emoji4]
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,816
Members
169,621
Latest member
Jefferey86
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top