After 48 years of hunting dangerous game as part of Problem Animal Control , I have come to rationalize that the .450 bores are absolutely unrivaled for contending with dangerous game . They possess a clear edge in stopping power over the .400 bores , while refraining from being too overtly specialized like the .500 bores . While I prefer the original .458 Winchester Magnum ( and always will ) , there is absolutely no question that an improved .450 bore ( such as the .458 Lott in question ) is far superior . You can easily load it to velocities in the ambit of 2350 feet per second without any compression .

A premium quality soft nosed bullet such as a 500 grain Northfork cup nosed solid or Rhino Solid Shank can easily sort out any African Cape buffalo . If you are limited to factory ammunition , then Norma 500 grain A Frames are the way to go .

I use only the lowest sight as it prints the same as my scope; the other leafs are too high) and re-attach with no loss in print-to-aim (There is a certain way to re-attach, of course).

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?

the 458 is a powerhouse but my problem is recoil recovery is slow due to recoil, and I don't like shooting off sticks especially with a heavy recoiling caliber...For years I used the 416 Rem ,404 Jefferys, ,375 and 9.3x62 primarily...My favorite was the 450-400 double, and the 404 Jefferys in the bolt gun. Never saw the need for more although I shot some buffalo with the really big bores.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?
I'm going to guess that it's slowly tightened while pulling it forward in the mounting slots like Warne or Talley. That seems to be the only way to achieve a repeatable point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois