Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
After 48 years of hunting dangerous game as part of Problem Animal Control , I have come to rationalize that the .450 bores are absolutely unrivaled for contending with dangerous game . They possess a clear edge in stopping power over the .400 bores , while refraining from being too overtly specialized like the .500 bores . While I prefer the original .458 Winchester Magnum ( and always will ) , there is absolutely no question that an improved .450 bore ( such as the .458 Lott in question ) is far superior . You can easily load it to velocities in the ambit of 2350 feet per second without any compression .

A premium quality soft nosed bullet such as a 500 grain Northfork cup nosed solid or Rhino Solid Shank can easily sort out any African Cape buffalo . If you are limited to factory ammunition , then Norma 500 grain A Frames are the way to go .

Begger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, DU, QU, SCI
Hunted
US, Limpopo RSA.
I use only the lowest sight as it prints the same as my scope; the other leafs are too high) and re-attach with no loss in print-to-aim (There is a certain way to re-attach, of course).

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
the 458 is a powerhouse but my problem is recoil recovery is slow due to recoil, and I don't like shooting off sticks especially with a heavy recoiling caliber...For years I used the 416 Rem ,404 Jefferys, ,375 and 9.3x62 primarily...My favorite was the 450-400 double, and the 404 Jefferys in the bolt gun. Never saw the need for more although I shot some buffalo with the really big bores.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?
I'm going to guess that it's slowly tightened while pulling it forward in the mounting slots like Warne or Talley. That seems to be the only way to achieve a repeatable point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emory76C34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.