.458 Lott

After 48 years of hunting dangerous game as part of Problem Animal Control , I have come to rationalize that the .450 bores are absolutely unrivaled for contending with dangerous game . They possess a clear edge in stopping power over the .400 bores , while refraining from being too overtly specialized like the .500 bores . While I prefer the original .458 Winchester Magnum ( and always will ) , there is absolutely no question that an improved .450 bore ( such as the .458 Lott in question ) is far superior . You can easily load it to velocities in the ambit of 2350 feet per second without any compression .

A premium quality soft nosed bullet such as a 500 grain Northfork cup nosed solid or Rhino Solid Shank can easily sort out any African Cape buffalo . If you are limited to factory ammunition , then Norma 500 grain A Frames are the way to go .
 
I use only the lowest sight as it prints the same as my scope; the other leafs are too high) and re-attach with no loss in print-to-aim (There is a certain way to re-attach, of course).

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?
 
the 458 is a powerhouse but my problem is recoil recovery is slow due to recoil, and I don't like shooting off sticks especially with a heavy recoiling caliber...For years I used the 416 Rem ,404 Jefferys, ,375 and 9.3x62 primarily...My favorite was the 450-400 double, and the 404 Jefferys in the bolt gun. Never saw the need for more although I shot some buffalo with the really big bores.
 
I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?
I'm going to guess that it's slowly tightened while pulling it forward in the mounting slots like Warne or Talley. That seems to be the only way to achieve a repeatable point.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,343
Messages
1,573,504
Members
169,751
Latest member
RickieCayt
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top