Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
After 48 years of hunting dangerous game as part of Problem Animal Control , I have come to rationalize that the .450 bores are absolutely unrivaled for contending with dangerous game . They possess a clear edge in stopping power over the .400 bores , while refraining from being too overtly specialized like the .500 bores . While I prefer the original .458 Winchester Magnum ( and always will ) , there is absolutely no question that an improved .450 bore ( such as the .458 Lott in question ) is far superior . You can easily load it to velocities in the ambit of 2350 feet per second without any compression .

A premium quality soft nosed bullet such as a 500 grain Northfork cup nosed solid or Rhino Solid Shank can easily sort out any African Cape buffalo . If you are limited to factory ammunition , then Norma 500 grain A Frames are the way to go .

Begger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, DU, QU, SCI
Hunted
US, Limpopo RSA.
I use only the lowest sight as it prints the same as my scope; the other leafs are too high) and re-attach with no loss in print-to-aim (There is a certain way to re-attach, of course).

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
the 458 is a powerhouse but my problem is recoil recovery is slow due to recoil, and I don't like shooting off sticks especially with a heavy recoiling caliber...For years I used the 416 Rem ,404 Jefferys, ,375 and 9.3x62 primarily...My favorite was the 450-400 double, and the 404 Jefferys in the bolt gun. Never saw the need for more although I shot some buffalo with the really big bores.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on how you re-attach your scope?
I'm going to guess that it's slowly tightened while pulling it forward in the mounting slots like Warne or Talley. That seems to be the only way to achieve a repeatable point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AgnesGonza

Latest profile posts

My name’s Wyatt Baker. I’m a card-carrying NRA member, an avid outdoorsman, long-time angler, and a big Patrick McManus fan.
Does anyone know where to buy a chamber reamer to convert .458 win to .458 Lott? I hear it is very easy to do—?
Gerry Addison wrote on KKovar's profile.
Do you still have the set of gaiters you talked about on the site? Gerry
Ihuntbiggame wrote on Krist Atanasoff's profile.
Hi Krist, I’m interested in your Sako , can you please send me a email with a better description and your asking price . Thank you. From. Mike
CoElkHunter wrote on Mtn_Infantry's profile.
Mtn_Infantry,
That's a monster buck you have in your avatar! Very Nice! Anyway, my brother in law and myself are planning to do some fishing while in Port Aransas. I think he/we are planning on taking a boat charter out a couple of days. He's a serious fisherman and I am not. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Mark Griffin