454 Casull

FA should be good out of the box. Ruger Bisleys seem to be a favorite for making custom big bore revolvers.

How are the Magnum Research BFR short cylinder revolvers? It has another take on the Bisly style frame. I recently saw that they have added to the lineup, including 454 Casull, .500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh

BFR has not caught on down in the Southeast portion of the States. I’ve handled a few, and while they seem to be a good revolver, they are no FA.

My old house was right down the road from Freedom. It seems like almost everyone in Star Valley has a few of them laying around the house, so I managed to end up with several I got in trades. I’ve still never ponied up the money to buy one. I’ve had two in 454, they are built to extremely tight tolerance, and finished very well. I have never fired one that didn’t shoot extremely well.

Ruger single actions are a good solid gun, and for a bit more than the cost of a FA there are several good gunsmiths around who can make them handle and shoot like an FA.

I would say they are a lot of gun for the money, but like I said I have never purchased one. I’m not a handgun hunter, and find I can get along with a Ruger just fine for a backcountry side arm.

I have a redhawk 4.2 inch barrel in 45 colt and it will handle some mighty heavy loads. I also have 2 Ruger super Blackhawk Bisleys one in 454 and 1 in 480. They aren’t freedom arms but they are both very nice revolvers. There both very accurate and the Bisley grip handles recoil well. I’ve shot some heavy 45 colt loads in the redhawk that had very heavy recoil, but it wasn’t bad when I fired them from 454 Bisley.

I have a Freedom Arms 454, 5.5" with Magna-Porting from the factory. I really like this revolver as well as a Freedom Arms 4-3/4" 475 Linebaugh, which also has the factory Magna-Port. Both are the one slot on each side of front sight.

I also have 1ea Ruger Bisley in 454 Casull and 480 Ruger, both with 4-5/8" barrels. These two I have shot side by side.
The 454 with both 360 grain Buffalo Bore at advertised 1425 fps and DoubleTap 360's at advertised 1500 fps. The 480 with Buffalo Bore 410's at advertised 1200 fps.
To me the 454 had a faster recoil than the 480.
The DoubleTap loads, I could only fire 3 rounds out of the cylinder of 5. Because the last 2 bullets would jump crimp. So, then it was remove the cylinder routine, every cylinder full was like this.
Though it has been awhile since I shot the Freedom Arms 454, I do believe it is less lively on the recoil than the Ruger.
I have a 5" barrel 454 Toklat Super Redhawk. I have not fired it yet. But it is a handy sized larger revolver.

As stated prior, I really like the Freedom Arms revolvers. But, for my uses the Rugers serve just as well. We all differ on our thoughts and demands though.
The 480 Ruger Bisley would be my choice if I were doing this again for purely serviceable with budget in mind. But, I have had the FA 454 for over 25 years.
I also have a 480 Bisley with the 6.5" barrel. That would be my pick for actual handgun hunting. I like the 480 lots, not to say that I do like the 475 Linebaughs.
I have a Super Redhawk that will be getting shortened to 5" for companion carry.
The double action Rugers in 480 and 454 are 6-shot. Which may or not have an advantage over the 5-shot single actions.

I bought the 454 Bisley to shoot heavier loaded 45 Colts in. This is also a potent cartridge. I am of the mindset that 1200-1300 fps with heavier per caliber hardcast is sufficient. But the lighter yet monolithic brass and copper bullets may be better.

As to Ruger or Tarus, I am in the Ruger camp.

---------------------------------------------------
Is FA really worth the money?

I'd really like a Blackhawk Bisley, but that seems an awfully small grip for that kind of cartridge.

So...Redhawk or Raging Bull?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Sgt. Zim, take Bullthrower338 offer to meet him at your local range and fire both a 44 Mag and a 454 Casull. Not everyone can shoot those 454(s) accurately. They are a handful to say the least. Your size and previous LE training will no doubt benefit you. I prefer my old 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag. to any 454 I've ever fired.

I bought most of these big bore handguns for Griz encounters. Plus I’m a total gun whore and can’t pass one up!
My assessment:

Freedom Arms: extremely well made, built like a tank and locks up like a vault! Not a better production SA on the market. Even with a 4-3/4” barrel, you know you are packing a hunk of iron.

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan: robust gun, well built and double action. Definitely a handful with full house 454 loads. Compact as can be expected in a 454 yet still a heavy chunk of stainless that if out of ammo you certainly could beat something to death easily.

S&W 629: excellent ergonomics, accurate and chambered in the 44 magnum. Weight can be mitigated by Model, mountain gun without under lug 4” is the easiest packing of this model.

S&W 329PD: My personal favorite sidearm for back up bear defense. Scandium frame, ultra light. Accurate revolver with N-Frame ergonomics. This gun disappears when carried. I carry mine in a Diamond D leather chest rig so it is accessible regardless if I am on horseback, in a raft or on foot with a pack. Still have 44 power and six in the cylinder.

S&W X-Frame 460: capable of killing everything up to and including fire breathing dragons! Unbelievable cartridge working at high pressures. Gun is extremely robust and well built. It is huge and heavy but I would fear not with one in my hands.

Ruger Blackhawk: mine are 44’s and maybe a 41 also. Strong revolver that shoot and carry well. I’m fixing to send one to Gary Reeder for some work that may make this one of my favorites.

Ruger Redhawk: I just love the original Redhawk! Incredibly strong and a pleasure to shoot. I prefer a 6” in this model.

Glock 20: I keep one in my safe in Montana and carry it a lot up there as well as the 329PD.
Full house 10mm is nothing to scoff at and I feel perfectly comfortable with the 10mm riding shotgun. Also have a Diamond D chest rig for these. Great choice if you are wanting/more comfortable with an auto.

I probably forgot a couple that need mentioned though.

Glock pistols have replaced all my revolvers these days. I have a model 21 that I've converted to 45 Super. It has a 6" Storm Lake Barrel, that is as accurate as any auto pistol I've shot. And a model 40 with a Burris Fastfire 3. This one is better for hunting in low light conditions.

I think those Burris Fastfire IIIs are amazing little optics and great value for money

I prefer the 480 recoil compared to the 454 in the alike 4-5/8" Bisley. That is comparing the 454 with the 360 grain and the 480 with the 41o grain loads. So, I guess I prefer the push.

If one hand loads, you can tone-down the 454. I personally don't feel this cartridge has to be loaded to maximum levels. Bullet crimp jump and tying up the cylinder can be an issue with maximum heavy loads, short cylinder length, and lighter revolvers. That is the reason that Buffalo Bore loads their 360 grain to "only" 1425 fps.

You can certainly use light or heavier loaded 45 Colts in the 454. Just keep the cylinder chambers free of build up if you intended to shoot 454 also. Though I try not to allow residue build up regardless.
The same can be said regarding firing 480 Ruger in 475 Linebaugh revolvers, 38 Special in 357, 44 special in 44 mag. etc...

The 454 chambering allows lots of flexibility, from mild to aplenty wild. It is actually one of my favorites due to that flexibility, from light 45 Colt Cowboy loads to full house 454's.

Which do you prefer? The snap or the push?
I haven't fired anything bigger than .357 Mag, so far.

Last edited:
I have a BFR in 475 Linebaugh with a 6" barrel from end to end measurement. I think they are very well built firearms. I would like to try one with their newer Bisley style grip. They are more of a heavier built and heavier duty Ruger. Of course, they are also heavier in weight than the Ruger single action.

FA should be good out of the box. Ruger Bisleys seem to be a favorite for making custom big bore revolvers.

How are the Magnum Research BFR short cylinder revolvers? It has another take on the Bisly style frame. I recently saw that they have added to the lineup, including 454 Casull, .500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh

Hey Sgt Zim,
I will be gone this upcoming weekend hunting mountain lion in Montana but would be happy to meet you at Pearland Shooting Club the following weekend and let you shoot my FA 475 and a Super Redhawk 454, got plenty of 44’s you are welcome to try out also.

Would love to take you up on that, but i'm tied up all weekend on a couple rental purchases we recently made. After that, I'm not back in Houston until 4 Jan.

Hope the mountain lion hunt goes well. Full report expected. The missus and I are thinking of retiring to the PNW, and I'm definitely interested in Flathead Valley.

You can certainly use light or heavier loaded 45 Colts in the 454. Just keep the cylinder chambers free of build up if you intended to shoot 454 also. Though I try not to allow residue build up regardless.
The same can be said regarding firing 480 Ruger in 475 Linebaugh revolvers, 38 Special in 357, 44 special in 44 mag. etc...

I used to fire a lot of 38 Special in my 357. I'm sure there's no build up, but the chambers look different in the front area. Don't know if dimensions have actually changed but there's certainly some sort of wear from using the shorter case. I'd use full length cases, especially in powerful revolvers that have tight chambers.

I refuse to fire .38's in my .357's and 44 specials in my 44 mags. If I want a lighter load I'll reload them in the proper length case. I have seen lead build up on the end of the chamber in the cylinder that is a bear to remove and a .357 or .44 mag case will not chamber.

Everything is a trade-off in the big bore handgun. The barrel length and cylinder gap is what makes the difference in the revolver.
I am of the opinion that the time to learn about single action revolvers is not in an OS moment. I've had a .460 for years. I feel like the .454 is a waste of time as I dislike the operating pressure for what I get out of it and despise the small magnum rifle primer. I'd go .45 LC +P with a good hard cast with a large meplat like the Missouri Bullet Co sells instead. The .460 is another level of horsepower entirely and with some of those bullets it's almost like a short rifle. I've fired the .454 in it without ear pro exactly one time. The hunting situation was not enough to offset the hellacious noise. I use electronic muffs anytime I carry that gun. Most folks are offended when it goes off with my full house loads at a range. I fired it hunting with others around once and was cussed for a while over it as the others in the party believed the gun had exploded and were quick to dive into the bushes.

Which do you prefer? The snap or the push?
I haven't fired anything bigger than .357 Mag, so far.
As a competition revolver shooter, the snap is what gets you back on target faster. It can also be used to reset the trigger for faster follow-up shooting. That second part is straight out of a Jerry Miculek video. Push is slower to recover from. Take the hard and fast snap and get back to business. This will likely mean a lighter bullet pushed faster, but you'll figure it out.

I have a David Clements custom 5 Shot Bisley in 45 Colt, with line bored cylinder and all the upgrades. It has some benefits beyond a FA factory gun. Longer Cylinder gives you more big bullet options, free wheel cylinder is nice and it has the transfer bar safety. I was always confused as to why FA never came up with something to allow you to safely carry the cylinder fully loaded.

That being said, the FA is a nicer gun. Stronger, tighter tolerances all around and the fit/finish is second to none on the Premier. If I was to do it again I would probably order an 83 with a 45 LC cylinder. You can load the Colt to virtually the same power with the bigger bullets, since the bullet basically sets the powder capacity for the case.

Last edited:
As a competition revolver shooter, the snap is what gets you back on target faster. It can also be used to reset the trigger for faster follow-up shooting. That second part is straight out of a Jerry Miculek video. Push is slower to recover from. Take the hard and fast snap and get back to business. This will likely mean a lighter bullet pushed faster, but you'll figure it out.

As a handgun hunter, I’ll take the push every day ending in “y”, and twice on Sundays. I’m not shooting a string, and most times one gets one, maybe two shots at a game animal large enough where a big bore revolver would be necessary.

My only complaint with the Casull is the volume, mild to wild it is loud. However, it doesn’t stop me from enjoying it.

In my opinion, the .460 is the answer to a question that wasn’t asked. If I want to shoot 200 grain bullets, they’ll be 0.401” or smaller. Small rifle primers are little different than large pistol for loading, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
As a handgun hunter, I’ll take the push every day ending in “y”, and twice on Sundays. I’m not shooting a string, and most times one gets one, maybe two shots at a game animal large enough where a big bore revolver would be necessary.
If you're in a back up situation the snap is better. While you are admiring your muzzle rise and dreadfully slow recovery, that animal is moving toward or away from you. I'm a handgun hunter too and I'm interested in hits and more hits. One is only getting one or two shots because one cannot manage the recoil impulse well enough. Yes the splits will slow down with power increase, but you're selling yourself short if you're not able to stack hits rapidly out to thirty yards. Drive the gun, eat the recoil, and hit it until it falls.

Yeah, a five shot six shooter doesn’t equate. It has to be but hey we can only have handguns for target use in Australia so that takes the away. Worse still we dont the have Grizzly bears anywhere here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg