450/400 Nitro Reloading to replace Reloader 15 with powders, Hodgdon, Accurate Arms

cajunchefray

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Looking to find a regulating load, that replaces Reloader 15 (or Norma 203B) with available powders from Hodgdon or Accurate Arms Powders (available). I have developed a good regulation load for my double 450/400, utilizing Reloader 15, foam backer rod, Federal 215M primers, less powder, and recoil. Just can't find any now. I subbed Norma 203B, 1 grain more than Reloader 15, at a max charge of 66 grains, with Hornady DGX bullets, that regulated nicely, based on a load from Grahame Wright's "SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE".

I'm looking for a lighter charge weight load, that is accurate, with what I have: Varget, H4895 or AA 2495, something in this burn rate.

Not Interested in Heavy charges of slow burning loads of 80 plus grains of powder. Tried VN-165, as accord 87 grains, did not regulate, and kicked too much.

Interested if anyone has developed a fast-burning powder load that works.

Sorry I can’t help you with the powders you have on hand. I’m using 80.0g IMR 4831 with 300g DGX.
imr 3031 my be an option for you I have seen it on shelf near me and online. You may want to give Ken Owen he is master with DRs, 901-877-6853

Sorry I can’t help you with the powders you have on hand. I’m using 80.0g IMR 4831 with 300g DGX.
imr 3031 my be an option for you I have seen it on shelf near me and online. You may want to give Ken Owen he is master with DRs, 901-877-6853
Thanks Scott good suggestion on IMR-3031, I just saw some recently.

I will contact Mr. Owen.

I have developed loads for my 450/400 using AA4350 that shoot fantastical, however they are recoil similar to your RL15 loads.

Is it a modern rifle or old British double, regulated with for example 55 or 60gr of cordite?

3” or 3&1/4”

Are you looking for a load for 400gr bullets?

Since Varget is pretty close to R15, maybe a tad faster, Lot variance depending, you might have better luck with the other 2 as they are both faster than either in general.

SES,
If you get to missing a 450/400, I can share with you how to load your Winchester 1895 .405 WCF to shoot 400 grain Woodies at the same velocity as the 450/400. That is what took the buff to the left.
Model 1895 and 400 grain Woodies.

SES,
If you get to missing a 450/400, I can share with you how to load your Winchester 1895 .405 WCF to shoot 400 grain Woodies at the same velocity as the 450/400. That is what took the buff to the left.
Model 1895 and 400 grain Woodies.
I know you can. However for my purposes, the 300 gr Barnes Triple Shock will do anything I would want a .405 Win to do for me.
In the 4 or 5 of these rifles I have owned, that bullet always seems to shoot the best, with full charges of Varget for propulsion.(y)

i use 4831 as well, as far as recoil.....meh.

it is a 9.5# rifle, recoil is not bad at all and it smashes stuff that is well hit.

In my experience N140 is very close to Varget in burning rate.

Is it a modern rifle or old British double, regulated with for example 55 or 60gr of cordite?

3” or 3&1/4”

Are you looking for a load for 400gr bullets?
Hello Dewald, pardon my late reply.

The rifle is a modern double (Sabatti, but a good one) chambered for the modern 3" case.

I suspect Hornady built the loads on the 55 grain Cordite (Tropical) spec, as my regulation load, with Reloder 15 is 66 grains, and follows Ross Seyfrieds formula of Cordite times 1.19 for a Reloder 15 load.

Yes, I am looking for loads with 400 grain Woodleigh softs.

Since Varget is pretty close to R15, maybe a tad faster, Lot variance depending, you might have better luck with the other 2 as they are both faster than either in general.
Thanks, good suggestion and what I am thinking.

Luckily, I found another pound of Norma 203B, so I can load several "regulation loads, as "controls" then start testing Varget, I'm thinking I'll start at 2-3 grains under and work up.

Thanks all for your input.

I have been using N-150 in my 404J - very similar to the 450/400. Good accuracy, low(ish) recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllisKraft

Latest profile posts

Handmade plaques for all kinds of African trophies. If you are interested, feel free to contact me in a message.
IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.