45-06 Wildcat

450 Marlin and headspace off the belt!
 
Less power and weird belt headspace measurements. Only .450 Marlin brass will work. My 2" American used "any" 2 1/2" belted cases and ran 500gr. HORNADY and 510gr. W.W.'s at 2,060fps., on a VZ34 ( 1st. one & M70 Win. for the second one..
I also ran 400's at 2,150fps and 350's at 2,296fps. The load for those was identical to the 500gr. load, BTW., so the light bullet's speeds could easily been increased. I did not see the need for B.C. hunting. It was a moose killer with 350gr. Hornady RN's. DRT
 
Last edited:
Remember that the 450 marlin was designed for lever guns so that in factory ammo it exceeded 45/70 ballistics. The larger belt was a safety design to make sure that a standard belted round wouldn't work in the lever gun etc.

In a bolt gun it willrun neck and neck with the 458 american.

Both are decent rounds, the American is easier to source brass for.

I have owned and shot both in bolt guns.
 
I am aware of all of that. In a bolt gun, the
Marlin round could beat the "American" but not by much due to the very slight capacity increas.
 
45 Raptor is just a 308 Win blown out to .452. Headspaces off the mouth.

Anyone done the same with a 30-06 (or 35 Whelen) case?

I've loaded and shot .45 Raptors for southern Michigan's shotgun zone for the past decade. I am so pleased that as of this year I may hunt whitetails with bottleneck cartridges like the .243 and .30-06!

Why, the 1.8" straight wall .45 Raptor case loaded to the maximum shrinks upon firing. A couple reloads and throw them away because they are too short to properly headspace. Add to that in my 700 Rem short actions, this round doesn't feed well. I've learned to work the bolt fast enough but not too fast!

I've worked up loads to 2600 fps with 250 grain bullets producing 3700 foot pounds of energy. Great but in the flat land in which I live this is a 150-yard cartridge. After that it drops like a brick!

Wanna buy a .45 Raptor? :)
 
With a standard '06 case you can only go up to .452 bullets, .458 won't work. Hence the 45 Raptor and 450 Bushmaster using .452 pistol bullets.
The 450 Marlin is based off a belted magnum case, basically a 2" 458wm.
 
I find that quite interesting. My .45/70 brass and the .458 2" didn't shorten. I think they grew over the years. But not much, maybe .010".
 
With a standard '06 case you can only go up to .452 bullets, .458 won't work. Hence the 45 Raptor and 450 Bushmaster using .452 pistol bullets.
The 450 Marlin is based off a belted magnum case, basically a 2" 458wm.
So how about a 416-06

Is that a thing?
 
Fred Zeglin produced the .411 Express and the .411 Hawk, both from 06 brass. He had a whole line of propietary cartridges off 06 brass.
I may be wrong but I believe the hawk cartridges were off of 9.3x62 cartridges due to the 0.455” shoulder. I know this is semantics but I think this is true. I could be wrong, but the 30-06 shoulder is 0.442”
 
I may be wrong but I believe the hawk cartridges were off of 9.3x62 cartridges due to the 0.455” shoulder. I know this is semantics but I think this is true. I could be wrong, but the 30-06 shoulder is 0.442”
Not according to Cartridges of the World. Shoulders can be blown out--look at all the Ackley Improveds (e.g. 375/06 AI at 0.455). 400 Whelen is at 0.462. Zeglin had a whole line of cartridges based on the '06. No sense in going to the much rarer 9.3x62.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,309
Messages
1,572,402
Members
169,558
Latest member
Joneseleepe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top