4457 Question

I have also found that if you explain to the officer on what is going on as far as multiple copies they usually just laugh it off and take care of them for you.

It is a lot easier to get them to stamp and sign off on copies that it is to find a notary that will actually notarize any copies for you. I had this problem last year. My town office provide a notary service but they refused to notarize any copies of anything. I ended up going to my bank where the person that I dealt with understood, her husband is a hunter and was planning a African trip. We both had a good laugh about the requirements as she was taking care of my paperwork.

If the customs agent really wanted to push it they could ask you for a receipt for the scope if it isn't listed with the idea that you may of purchased it overseas.

Same with your cameras, other optics, computer, and other things that you may have with you.

If any doubts Google what the CBP Form 4457 is used for.
Probably not gonna happen with a Leupold or Vortex scope.

If your scope is Zeiss or Swarovski or Leica or some other high end scope made in Europe...could happen.

I don't bother listing the scope on my rifles but I made sure my Swarovski Binos were listed

If your scope is Zeiss or Swarovski or Leica or some other high end scope made in Europe...could happen.

I don't bother listing the scope on my rifles but I made sure my Swarovski Binos were listed

I've never had a agent question of why I listed my Leopold scope on 3 different 4457's and 3 different agents.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've never had a agent question of why I listed my Leopold scope on 3 different 4457's and 3 different agents.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Nobody is gonna question why you listed a scope on the form. Nobody questions why you list anything on the form. I have listed cameras, video cameras, bino's, rifles and scope combo's, rifle only.

Nobody ever questions why you put what you put on the form. They just verify that what you put on the form you show them before they stamp it.

Just don't list a rifle with say, a Leupold Scope on the form and they put a different brand scope on it before you leave....

Just finished my 4457 for my two rifles and got it signed and stamped. I do not list my scopes and never any problem. The good news is my scope stays on my one gun, red dot on other. My new form has no date on it which I like. Make sure you get the stamp on each form

Not sure if any import duty tax is levied on a scope….was told there was not a import tax on them

I carry two scopes for each rifle on longer trips. So I list each rifle, all scopes, my binos and camera. BSTS.

Just got my 4457s done for April trip. I listed the scope and gun. Each gun on separate forms. They only verified gun serials before stamping. I also had a form for suppressor. They would not stamp it and approve until I showed them an ATF stamped approval form to take out of USA.

FYI for any of the guys in Houston area or south of Houston. Freeport CBP office is great to get your forms done at. No appointment. Just walk in and tell them what you need. They go out to your vehicle to verify.
Just got back the form I sent in to the ATF in January.

Rejected and all it says is "Incorrect Form". I have another form that I submitted in Feb with some slight changes. I have to see what that one says when it comes in. I think this is a case of no one in the ATF knowing what the actual answer is.

Im about to buy a 5/8x24 .30 cal suppressor in SA and leave it with KMG so others can avoid this giant headache.

Can someone tell me what, if anything, is supposed to go in this section: "Number"?

Couldnt find and answer on Google or the CBP page where i got the form, the old version I used last time (2021), didnt have this field.

TIA
4457 AH.png

Can someone tell me what, if anything, is supposed to go in this section: "Number"?

Couldnt find and answer on Google or the CBP page where i got the form, the old version I used last time (2021), didnt have this field.

TIA
View attachment 534258
Although mine has the same control number it is formatted differently.
I don't have a line that says number but a box in the upper right corner that says number.
They simply stamped it with the Denver office stamp there

It is where the customs officer puts a number ...Example 2 which stands for 2 items you listed on the page of the 4457. Its to keep people from adding more items to the page once they leave the office.

It is where the customs officer puts a number ...Example 2 which stands for 2 items you listed on the page of the 4457. Its to keep people from adding more items to the page once they leave the office.
I doubt that you could add anything if the agent lined out everything that was left blank like he is suppose to.

On all of my 4457's they start a line in red ink right where I have left off with the description and then filled the rest of the forum with either more lines or X's. If you tried to add something you would have to write over the top of their red ink and it may void the forum on your return.

You put nothing there. Fill out name , address, description. Sign. That’s it. They never even redline any of mine. 11 trips, they’ve done it once

Ethiopian airlines/airport security asked for a "permit number." On the copy I handed them, I just filled in my State of CT CCL number and handed it back to them. Sometimes you just have to give them what they're looking for?

Zimbabwe had no problems with this line being blank.

Of note, CBP in Newark gave us a bit of a hassle, stating the 4457 was NOT valid for proof of ownership of firearms coming back into the country and that we had to use some ACE program that was on their website. I suspect this was just an uniformed agent, but was too tired to argue.

Ethiopian airlines/airport security asked for a "permit number." On the copy I handed them, I just filled in my State of CT CCL number and handed it back to them. Sometimes you just have to give them what they're looking for?

Zimbabwe had no problems with this line being blank.

Of note, CBP in Newark gave us a bit of a hassle, stating the 4457 was NOT valid for proof of ownership of firearms coming back into the country and that we had to use some ACE program that was on their website. I suspect this was just an uniformed agent, but was too tired to argue.
That was resolved years ago. They (feds) tried to re-classify personal use firearms by requiring the owner to register as an import agent and register the guns for an import permit when re-entering US after traveling internationally. Total cluster for awhile until, IIRC, a US Rep or Senator got involved and straightening it out. I guess the Customs agent in Newark didn't get the memo!

What a joke, the 4457 exists exactly for the purpose of showing ownership of any personal property, including guns, for clearing customs upon return after international travel. And some foreign countries still seem to view it as some kind of US gun registration which it is not and was never intended to be.

Last edited:
Just got back the form I sent in to the ATF in January.

Rejected and all it says is "Incorrect Form". I have another form that I submitted in Feb with some slight changes. I have to see what that one says when it comes in. I think this is a case of no one in the ATF knowing what the actual answer is.

Im about to buy a 5/8x24 .30 cal suppressor in SA and leave it with KMG so others can avoid this giant headache.
my buddy and I just came back from SA a couple weeks ago and we both had suppressors in our rifle cases and the customs agents in Atlanta never even batted an eye at them, I would not buy one and leave it there

That was resolved years ago. They (feds) tried to re-classify personal use firearms by requiring the owner to register as an import agent and register the guns for an import permit when re-entering US after traveling internationally. Total cluster for awhile until, IIRC, a US Rep or Senator got involved and straightening it out. I guess the Customs agent in Newark didn't get the memo!

What a joke, the 4457 exists exactly for the purpose of showing ownership of any personal property, including guns, for clearing customs upon return after international travel. And some foreign countries still seem to view it as some kind of US gun registration which it is not and was never intended to be.
We are probably one of the only countries that doesnt have "registrations" for our long guns though (and most states the same applies for handguns), so at least the 4457 works, because "we dont do that in the USA" only works here lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you